Author Topic: Creating More Ranks  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Creating More Ranks
« on: July 30, 2016, 10:00:57 PM »
So I decided that I would create US naval ranks starting all the way down from 2nd. LT so that I would stop having flag officers piloting my single seat bombers. I have a total of 11 naval ranks in all. However, it seems the game is not properly filling out these new ranks, so i am stuck with a bunch of 2nd and 1st LTs and my top officer is a mere commandor. I have political promotions turned on. How long will it take for the ranks to fill out and re-balance themselves?

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
Re: Creating More Ranks
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:27:35 AM »
the Ranks work like this.

Everyone starts off at the lowest rank, for every X amount of men and woman at the lowest rank (I think it six, but can be wrong) a single slot at the next higher rank is filled.   When that rank gets X amount, a slot on the third one is filled.

Also, when a officer is newly promoted, they get a N next to their promotion score for a few months.   They can't be promoted till that goes away.   So it may be that you have slots that can be filled, but everyone is newly promoted and you have to wait a bit before they are ready to be promoted again.  The only way you can fill the higher ranks is by getting more officers by building more academies.

Also, there is no 2nd LT. in the US Navy. 
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:39:41 AM by DaMachinator »
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 05:34:55 AM »
With realistic promotions, you need 4 officer of a rank to create a "spot" one rank up. So you need 4 rank 1 to get one rank 2, 16 rank on to get on rank 3, etc. To get one rank 11, you'd need 4^10 2nd lieutenant. That's about a million.

If you want all those ranks, you should probably turn on manual promotions.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:25:19 AM »
With realistic promotions, you need 4 officer of a rank to create a "spot" one rank up. So you need 4 rank 1 to get one rank 2, 16 rank on to get on rank 3, etc. To get one rank 11, you'd need 4^10 2nd lieutenant. That's about a million.

Those numbers are a bit off. But I cannot find the post with the actual numbers. At flag ranks, if I recall the number needed drops dramatically.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:54 AM »

its 1/3 then 1/2 after 5. so it takes 7,776 to get a rank 11 if I did my math right.

Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0