Author Topic: Various interface suggestions  (Read 1056 times)

Offline hephep (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • h
Various interface suggestions
« on: September 29, 2020, 05:58:36 AM »
New to Aurora, so coming at this with fresh eyes.  Various suggestions for the UI.

* Alternate Row colours for tables (I.  e.   View Technology), etc. 
** Events page you could group the items of a day by colour.   Maybe sub-colours for each row. 

* Date formatting - it would be nice if you'd pick up date formatting from my computer and use that as the default. 
* Same applies to other regionalisation as well - i.  e.   could probably use system settings for number representation too (Continental Europeans often swap decimals and commas). 

* Events page - The date/time entry is always shown once per day every day it seems.   Problem is, this makes it hard to see if there are actual entries on a given day for a specific type of event because you have to scroll through the entire log just to see there are no entries. 

* Events page - Sort order so can have newest stuff at the top, not the bottom if desired. 

* UI Convention - It's non-obvious that the green text are values that can be changed.   There's no box around them as is in the UI convention.   Except some green text can't be changed so. . .  (also down as in my bug report because of this).

* UI Convention - Buttons should be disabled if they don't do anything (i.  e.  buttons that require something be selected, but nothing is selected should be disabled). 

* Bold for panel titles.   Will improve readability and information discovery.  Probably also for column headers too.

* UI Convention - Clicking column titles sorts the column by that value. 

* I would suggest right aligning table values for numbers and left aligning for strings - https://ux.  stackexchange.  com/questions/24066/what-is-the-best-practice-for-data-table-cell-content-alignment - currently alignment seems to be completely random and inconsistent.  I've seen left, right and centre aligning all used for different types of values.

* Galaxy Map - there's a lot of scope for improvement here from a data-visualisation and cartography perspective.   The current one is hard to read.   Should probably get its own thread. 

Offline Norm49

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
Re: Various interface suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 08:27:22 AM »
* Alternate Row colours for tables (I.  e.   View Technology), etc.
** Events page you could group the items of a day by colour.   Maybe sub-colours for each row. 

You can already change to colour in the even window

* Date formatting - it would be nice if you'd pick up date formatting from my computer and use that as the default.
* Same applies to other regionalisation as well - i.  e.   could probably use system settings for number representation too (Continental Europeans often swap decimals and commas). 

It been discuss before it wont happen.

* Events page - The date/time entry is always shown once per day every day it seems.   Problem is, this makes it hard to see if there are actual entries on a given day for a specific type of event because you have to scroll through the entire log just to see there are no entries. 

I use colour in the even windows and it is clear. But it would be nice if we can select a colour to separate different turn.

* UI Convention - It's non-obvious that the green text are values that can be changed.   There's no box around them as is in the UI convention.   Except some green text can't be changed so. . .  (also down as in my bug report because of this)

It was clear for me.

* UI Convention - Clicking column titles sorts the column by that value.

YES! I agree with this one.