Author Topic: Orbital shipyards?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Orbital shipyards?
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »
As the title says, what are these? I have seen a few threads where space bound shipyards are mentioned, and they have been talked about in a way that implies they are not ships (using tugs etc). Is this simply a ship design without engines, or is it something else I have completely missed out on when looking over the wiki and tutorials?

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Orbital shipyards?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
per http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Installations

Naval Shipyard Complex - Used to build Naval/Military Ships. Base capacity 1,000 tons. Can build both military and commercial ships. Each shipyard has a number of slips and can build 1 ship per slip. The shipyard is also only configured to build 1 class of ships (though in some cases very similar versions of ships may be built without retooling). Population requirements - 100,000 per shipyard plus 1,000,000 population per slipway. Base building rate is 400 pts/year. This is upgradeable via research.

Commercial Shipyard Complex - Used to build Commercial Ships. Base capacity is 10,000 tons. Can build only commercial ships. Each shipyard has a number of slips and can build 1 ship per slip. The shipyard is also only configured to build 1 class of ships (though in some cases very similar versions of ships may be built without retooling). Population requirements 100,000 per shipyard plus 1,000,000 population per slipway. Base building rate is 400 pts/year. This is upgradeable via research.

Both Commercial and Naval shipyards are orbital installations that can be towed by a tug from one colony location to another.  They are the only installations that can be moved this way.  Other installations can be moved by Freighters.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
Yeah, all shipyards are orbital shipyards. If you think about the difficulty inherent in launching, say, a 25,000 ton craft from the surface of the earth (without blowing up a continent) you can see why this is the case.

Because shipyards are orbital, they can be towed from planet to planet. When towed, a shipyard has twice the mass of its capacity (so a shipyard that can make 25,000 ton ships is 50,000 tons)
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Wolfius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »
Yeah, all shipyards are orbital shipyards. If you think about the difficulty inherent in launching, say, a 25,000 ton craft from the surface of the earth (without blowing up a continent) you can see why this is the case.

You exagerate the difficulty, plus, transnewtonian engines in aurora are kinda hax, in addition to behaving like inertialess drives. Personally I've always imagined freighters landing on colonies to load/unload because of this.

But yeah, shipyards were changed from being immobile fixed instalations to special orbital instalations a while back.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:08:33 AM »
Ok so then if I can tow a shipyard somewhere then in theory I can build a ship anywhere I like including in the middle of deep space? Obviously I need both workers and materials for the actual building. Would an orbital habitat with plenty of living space and lots of cargo space suffice for this?

I am guessing that deep space is actually impossible due to you having to have a colony tab to do the actual building. Does this mean then I can only construct ships around planetary bodies that are colony compatible with my species? Or is there a way to drag a shipyard and an orbital habitat to a gas giant and have it as a ship construction base?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
Yes, shipyards require a colony and colonists. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:04:49 PM »
I could not test it in 6.4 yet, but in 6.3 the orbital habitats would sadly not provide their population to shipyards, so you indeed need a planet or asteroid to be populated. It doesn't need to be inhabitable though, as you could also drag infrastructure or underground infrastructure there.

The whole thing is not that easy though. You will need quite the equipment+mineral storage to fully drag around a shipyard that would be operational everywhere. Actually you could calculate all the stuff around, hmm... .
Ok, let's assume a military shipyard of 15k and one slipway, so that counts as 30k tons when tractored, which means you need around a 15k ship if you want it to be up to speed with other ships of the line.(optional) That shipyards needs 1.5m guys running it, which translates in 150 cryogenic transports, who are 375k tons on a ship. I've never come to use underground infrastructure from 6.4 until now, so let's assume you find some col cost 2 planet somewhere, which means 200 infrastructure per million, so 300 in our case.(not counting eventual col.cost reduction tech) You will need 30 cargo holds for that, which are 750k tons on freighters, so we are up to 1125k.
I suppose underground structure is much less efficient though, because why else would you still use normal infrastructure otherwise? And then you need to add some storage to your likings depending on which and how many ships you plan to build otherworlds. You can therefore plan for at least 1.2mt+engines and stuff ships need to get around, just to run a single slip 15k shipyard everywhere. Probably even tenfold that or so, depending if you truly want it everywhere (including asteroids and uninhabitable worlds) and underground stuff is really that much more inefficient as habitation.
Conclusion: It is not easy, but possible. You should have a good reason to do it, but I guess having a "replicator" settlement close to your deepest expansion border can have its benefits. You would just casually send freighters there and feed the depots a new load, so they can go on. The task becomes quite monumental if you want more than just a little slipway though, so funding a real colony might actually be more beneficial.(travel times are not that daunting, so every serious colony could easily supervise and provide production for around 3-5 system jumps around it)

I do something similar myself all the time, though I let some shipyards be underpopulated as they are only run very rarely anyway, and probably just for repairs, which go by fast. However, my reasons are different. I just don't want to have colonies, so everything has to be in space... ;D

Gas Giants by the way will never work. You simply cannot claim them, just like stars.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »
Thanks for the help, looks like a big task and sadly the way it works with the gas giants looks like my empire will never have an edenist habitat.