Author Topic: Noticing Something With armor  (Read 1274 times)

Offline AtomikKrab (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
Noticing Something With armor
« on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »
after finally getting around to researching better armor after a month of waiting it was complete and I go to my superdreadnaught design since it's not yet been produced for lack of a 1.25 m ton military slip and click new armor, to my suprise it lost weight. So interested I clicked up the armor size a few times, and after a bit it went back to it's max weight with thicker armor. So Anyway what I am asking is all the improvements in armor (lighter, tougher, stronger) just represented by decreased weight? (actually weighs less, or less is needed for the same protection level)

So if this is correct then two races with differing tech levels but the same armor thickness would still have equal armor levels, but the one with better armor tech could fit in more of other types of components?

If so very interesting and that gets me planning.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Noticing Something With armor
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »
Quote from: "AtomikKrab"
after finally getting around to researching better armor after a month of waiting it was complete and I go to my superdreadnaught design since it's not yet been produced for lack of a 1.25 m ton military slip and click new armor, to my suprise it lost weight. So interested I clicked up the armor size a few times, and after a bit it went back to it's max weight with thicker armor. So Anyway what I am asking is all the improvements in armor (lighter, tougher, stronger) just represented by decreased weight? (actually weighs less, or less is needed for the same protection level)

So if this is correct then two races with differing tech levels but the same armor thickness would still have equal armor levels, but the one with better armor tech could fit in more of other types of components?

You need to read the tutorial on basic class design as that explains all about the armour system.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Noticing Something With armor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »
Quote from: "AtomikKrab"

Yes.

This is another example beyond those that I mentioned in my post about efficiencies being at the heart of Aurora.  Higher tech armor is more efficient (less displacement for same protection), which in turn reduces the ratio of payload (weapons, cargo, etc.) to ship size, which in turn makes ships of the same capabilities smaller/cheaper or ships of the same size (possibly much) more capable.

John