Author Topic: Turret  (Read 1913 times)

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Turret
« on: June 25, 2010, 04:50:24 AM »
So, If I build a turret on a ship that is faster, or has better base fire control, will the weapon still only track with the turret speed, or is it "the fastest" in this case?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Turret
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:55:49 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
So, If I build a turret on a ship that is faster, or has better base fire control, will the weapon still only track with the turret speed, or is it "the fastest" in this case?
For a turret the tracking speed that will be used is the lower of the turret tracking speed or the fire control tracking speed. Turrets do not care about the reasearched base tracking speed, nor do they care about the ship speed.  Generally they will be faster tracking than the ship unless they are old tech and the rest of the ship is newer.

Good Luck

Brian

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »
Damn, so I can't prebuild weapon sets of several weapons without any tracking gear.
It would have made for awesome RP.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
Damn, so I can't prebuild weapon sets of several weapons without any tracking gear.
You actually can prefab them without a problem.  Non turreted weapons do not have a built in tracking speed.  The ship they are mounted on has the tracking speed.  So all non turret weapons will work fine regardless of when they were built.  You will have a problem of the range being shorter if your overall tech has progressed a bit but you can still make use of them.

As far as turret weapons go they have the tracking speed built in when you design them.  If you don't mind the mass penalty you can give them any tracking speed you want.  One thing you might want to check when you design the turret is if the turret gears are using a fractional space.  If so you can add a little bit over the base you would use to help with upgrading to a better fire control.  I will also often go ahead and step it up 1 full hull space more on the quad turrets to get more capable turrets.  Even if this is better than my current fire control can use, it is often not quite as good as the next generation will use in the future.  By having the turrets already close however it lets me upgrade the ships fairly cheaply as I only need to upgrade the fire control and not the weapons themselves.

Brian

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:00:27 AM »
Sigh.
No, what I meant is actually building multi-barreled weapons just for fluff and "economic reasons".
I mean, why would anyone build turrets with multiple weapons?
Do the HTK of the used weapons atleast combine?
So far, I've found it more useful to build single or dual turrets, to get no fractions.
4 weapons are always just fluff.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 11:36:30 AM »
Sigh.
No, what I meant is actually building multi-barreled weapons just for fluff and "economic reasons".
I mean, why would anyone build turrets with multiple weapons?
Do the HTK of the used weapons atleast combine?
So far, I've found it more useful to build single or dual turrets, to get no fractions.
4 weapons are always just fluff.
I tend to agree, I rarely build turrets with more than 2 weapons and most of my defensive turrets are single Gauss cannon. Although I do still find I get fractional turret sizes and build them up to a whole number with extra tracking speed

Offline Morrigi

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »
A quad turret takes up less space per gun than 4 single turrets with the same technology.

Offline Soralin

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
You can actually build a turret with a tracking gear of 0, and multiple weapons on it.  If the ship's speed is faster than the turret tracking speed, it just uses the ship's speed, just like it would for a non-turret mounted weapon.

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 09:00:44 PM »
Quote from: "Morrigi"
A quad turret takes up less space per gun than 4 single turrets with the same technology.

This is only true if you put armour on the turrets; otherwise there is no difference, except in terms of how the components get damaged (Four 1 HTK vs one 4 HTK).

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »
Quote from: "Soralin"
You can actually build a turret with a tracking gear of 0, and multiple weapons on it.  If the ship's speed is faster than the turret tracking speed, it just uses the ship's speed, just like it would for a non-turret mounted weapon.

THIS is what I was asking!
That tremendously helps. I think atleast the RP can be done now.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 06:19:36 AM »
Quote from: "Elouda"
Quote from: "Morrigi"

This is only true if you put armour on the turrets; otherwise there is no difference, except in terms of how the components get damaged (Four 1 HTK vs one 4 HTK).
It depends on the gear size. You will often find that a turret with four weapons will be smaller than four single weapon turrets, even without armour, because the gear size per weapon for a given tracking speed will be fractional. For example, you might find that a single weapon of 4HS requires 1.25 HS of gears so the single turret size will be 6HS (as turret sizes are rounded up), the twin turret will be 11 HS, the triple will be 16 HS and the quad will be 21 HS.

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »
Yes, but normally, Either at one, two, or 3, the difference becomes small enough you can dump it into extra tracking speed, which I generally never had a problem using.^^