Author Topic: explain standard vs squad transits to me  (Read 2488 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
explain standard vs squad transits to me
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:44:08 PM »
I can't find any clues as to what it means to do a "squadron transit" vs a "standard transit".  I thought that standard transit might mean one ship at a time, or might split up your TG into different locations, but that doesn't seem to be the case in my game.  So what do these things mean, and why would I want to do one or the other?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: explain standard vs squad transits to me
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:59:28 PM »
A standard transit does not pay any attention to the number of ships that a single jump ship can take through the jump point.  It is a convenience so that players do not need to micromanage transits that are not going into combat.  It allows you to have 1 jump ship at a jump point and lets any number of ships go through that jump point.  Think of this like a shuttle bus.  It keeps going between the two sides of the jump point and you don't need to give individual orders to get the whole force through the jump.

Squadron transits are what you should use anytime their might be combat.  You will need to split a fleet into separate subgroups with 1 jump ship in each group.  Group size will be dictated by your jump engine capabilities.  Each group goes through the jump point separately and can end up anywhere within the jump radius of that jump engine.  If you don't have enough jump ships then you will need to shuttle them back and forth.  If you are in combat that can be a big problem as you will not have all of your ships available from the start of the combat.

Hope that helps you understand the difference.
Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
Important addendum: Standard transits have severe reaction time and sensor penalties, which is why Brian said you should use squadron transits if combat is possible.

John

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »
I'm glad this got brought up because I had no idea there was a difference, maybe next time I jump into a contested system I'll use squadron transit and not get shredded by precursors.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:34:06 AM »
To clarify what Brian implied with his mention of jump radius, a standard transit drops you off directly on top of the jump point. A squadron jump will drop you off in a random direction at the engines jump distance.
A vital detail when dealing with beam-armed jump point defenders

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:40:04 AM »
It is at a distance up to the jump radius.  I can assure you the last time I did a multi group jump they arrived at different directions and distances from the warp point even though the 3 jump ships had the same engine.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 07:42:50 AM »
Important addendum: Standard transits have severe reaction time and sensor penalties, which is why Brian said you should use squadron transits if combat is possible.

John
Wow, I had no idea the same reaction time penalty was not applied to squadron transit! I suspect this will making assaulting heavilly guarded jump points slightly easier :D

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:51 AM »
Squadron transit penalties are only up to 30 seconds while standard transit is up to 3 minutes.  Penalties include sensors offline (too include fire controls), jump engines offline, missile launchers and hangers offine.  If I recall correctly there is also an delay in orders.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2480.msg24501.html#msg24501
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 08:02:23 AM »
From what I can tell...your active sensors are the only ones affected, your passives function normally.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »
It is at a distance up to the jump radius.  I can assure you the last time I did a multi group jump they arrived at different directions and distances from the warp point even though the 3 jump ships had the same engine.

So, to be clear: does a squadron transit separate your TG into multiple groups?  Let's say I have two jump ships in a fleet and six other ships, and each jump ship capable of transiting itself plus three.  Will they jump as two separate task groups in two separate locations?  Or will all eight ships be scattered in different locations?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
For Squadron transit the TG can only have 1 jumpship.  The TG stays intact.  If there are more ships in a TG than the JE is rated for it will throw an error.

It's been some time since I tried a squadron transit with a TG that has more than one jumpship so I don't recall if this throws an error for this as well.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
For Squadron transit the TG can only have 1 jumpship.  The TG stays intact.  If there are more ships in a TG than the JE is rated for it will throw an error.

It's been some time since I tried a squadron transit with a TG that has more than one jumpship so I don't recall if this throws an error for this as well.

I seem to recall this working in version 4/5. Just remember, the jumpship counts towards the JE limit.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 12:55:51 AM »
To clarify a bit.
In your example (8 ship TG with two JS) you would have to seperate the TG manually into two TGs, each with one JS and 3 others and order the now two TGs to jump individually.
Aurora does neither seperate the large TG for you, nor add together the jump carrying capacity of several JS in one TG.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 10:07:05 AM »
One more thing:  unless it was removed, you can "turn off" the jump drive on a ship, making it act like a normal ship in the TG.  So if you have a TG that consists of two identical jump ships, each with a squadron size of two or greater, you could turn off the jump drive on one of them and have them jump as a single TG (using the other one's drive).

Note that I haven't tried anything like this for MANY years, so like I said this ability may have been ripped out of the code at some point.

John