Author Topic: Unable to locate target :/  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Resident Evil (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
Unable to locate target :/
« on: April 19, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
Hi.

I have 3 identical missile fleets, and two of them are able to fire off missiles quite happily - the crews love their work :)

With the third fleet though, every time I try to get them to shoot something, the event log keeps coming up with "*Ship name* is unable to locate target."  Now this is an inexperienced fleet, they have crew grades ranging from 8% to 21%, so they have firing delays due to not been ready. So I am wondering if these 'unable to locate target' messages could be due to their inexperience, or am I just doing something stupid somewhere with one of the settings. If it's relevant, I also have these fleets set to sync fire.

Anyone got any ideas or experienced this themselves? The only thing I haven't checked is whether shutting the game down and restarting could fix it - but atm I'm in the middle of a battle, and remember a warning I read about not shutting the game down with missiles in flight.

Many thanks

ZG

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
Re: Unable to locate target :/
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:30:39 AM »
slow reply, sorry, just got here.  check the fire control assignments for the ships in question, one or more may be targeted on an enemy from the past.  when building big ships with many fire controls each its easy to fat-finger one assignment (or one "copy to all") and wind up with this warning.

Offline Resident Evil (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
Re: Unable to locate target :/
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 02:06:03 PM »
Hi. No problem with the slow reply.

It's a bit of a non-issue now as the battle is over - but I don't think your suggestion is the case. I was fighting 300+ swarm soldiers and just going down the list repetitively assigning each ship, just one FC, to each target, and firing off a complete salvo, then repeating ad-nauseam.

I later noticed the ship actually firing the missiles each time at the correct target, but still giving the 'target not found' message; so I've no idea what was going on there.

I'm training the crew up, and I'll see how they fare next time - it's the only difference I can see between the fleets that could have been causing it. Still, as long as they fire the damn missiles I guess I can live with weird error messages.

Cheers

ZG