Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 254637 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #795 on: April 10, 2020, 09:35:49 AM »
As a small apology for the delay, here is a short, real-time video showing 5-second hell in C# Aurora. There are several systems with multiple NPRs, including this one which has four NPRs and a player race. Detection is running in all systems. AI is running in all systems.

I'm clicking 30 seconds for the increment but the game is shortening the increment to five seconds due to NPR vs NPR action in another system. In this system (Alpha Centauri), this is the player view of one NPR firing missiles at another. This gives an idea of how fast the forced 5-second increments pass vs VB6,

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #796 on: April 10, 2020, 09:41:55 AM »
As a small apology for the delay, here is a short, real-time video showing 5-second hell in C# Aurora. There are several systems with multiple NPRs, including this one which has four NPRs and a player race. Detection is running in all systems. AI is running in all systems.

I'm clicking 30 seconds for the increment but the game is shortening the increment to five seconds due to NPR vs NPR action in another system. In this system (Alpha Centauri), this is the player view of one NPR firing missiles at another. This gives an idea of how fast the forced 5-second increments pass vs VB6,

I'd be lying if I said the anticipation isn't mounting, lol....

Was that a debug build, or release candidate?

Offline Kiks

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120708#msg120708 date=1586510793
I could give an estimate but it would be wrong :)

Hey, a wrong estimate is good enough for me.  I think I probably just needed to say what I said cause I passed out right after posting  ;D

Thank you for what you do, I think we all are just a bit bored and stressed so your work is helping to put some good in the world.  A bit too excited for release, keep up the great work!

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #798 on: April 10, 2020, 09:46:35 AM »

I'd be lying if I said the anticipation isn't mounting, lol....

Was that a debug build, or release candidate?

This is running in debug mode :)

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #799 on: April 10, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »

Thought as much, so there's a good chance it'll be even quicker in a release build, might not need the spacetime bubble until very late game now, if at all.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #800 on: April 10, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »

Thought as much, so there's a good chance it'll be even quicker in a release build, might not need the spacetime bubble until very late game now, if at all.

At the moment, there is no space-time bubble. I'll add one if needed.

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #801 on: April 10, 2020, 09:52:54 AM »

HYPE

I've been following all the new updates you've been adding to the C# version with great interest, but by god this is the most beautiful thing.

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #802 on: April 10, 2020, 09:59:08 AM »
As a small apology for the delay, here is a short, real-time video showing 5-second hell in C# Aurora.

This doesn't make the wait any easier, but thank you!

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #803 on: April 10, 2020, 10:42:04 AM »

Actually there are three large simultaneous battles going on while that video is running. Spotted the others due to increment shortening.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:44:07 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull, Kristover, Marski

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #804 on: April 10, 2020, 10:57:38 AM »
Steve,  I know we aren't doing formal AARs and like everyone else here I'm hoping for a release soon - I'm already making medals for my first campaign! - and don't want to create any delays from that happening.  But could you do a very quick write-up summary of the battles so we can get a scope/scale of what the AI is doing and capable? In VB6, we don't get to see NPR v NPR battles and I felt the latest AI behavior to be interesting.  When I read your post the other day about the Martians sneaking STOs in, moving their fleet out, and opening fire, I was like 'That's new and fun!'.  It might be a good scene setter for the upcoming release.   I'm certainly on notice that I'm going to have to relearn how to play.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #805 on: April 10, 2020, 11:12:48 AM »
I would love to know how long 5 second hell lasts in this situation. Perhaps with the increased turn processing time it might be time to consider (in the future) adding additional features for greater control on auto turns, perhaps some options for pausing 5 second hell after some time so that you can save to continue later, or pause immediately after the major backlog has passed. Or things like that.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #806 on: April 10, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »
Steve,  I know we aren't doing formal AARs and like everyone else here I'm hoping for a release soon - I'm already making medals for my first campaign! - and don't want to create any delays from that happening.  But could you do a very quick write-up summary of the battles so we can get a scope/scale of what the AI is doing and capable? In VB6, we don't get to see NPR v NPR battles and I felt the latest AI behavior to be interesting.  When I read your post the other day about the Martians sneaking STOs in, moving their fleet out, and opening fire, I was like 'That's new and fun!'.  It might be a good scene setter for the upcoming release.   I'm certainly on notice that I'm going to have to relearn how to play.

We could just wait a few days and find out ourselves, which would be about the same span of time between Steve having the time away from everything else to write your request and actually finish writing it and posting.
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

The following users thanked this post: Deutschbag, ChubbyPitbull, mpf0214

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #807 on: April 10, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »
I would love to know how long 5 second hell lasts in this situation. Perhaps with the increased turn processing time it might be time to consider (in the future) adding additional features for greater control on auto turns, perhaps some options for pausing 5 second hell after some time so that you can save to continue later, or pause immediately after the major backlog has passed. Or things like that.

You can turn off auto-turns by clicking the automated turns button. I do that at the end of the video.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #808 on: April 10, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »
Another video, with a few more missiles this time. Its about 2560x1440 but if you view in lower res you can still get the general impression.

This is from the perspective of one NPR (Hegemony of Titan) defending against a missile attack from another NPR (Martian Empire). The green contacts are Venusian and British Empire, which are neutral.

This is real-time with 5-second increments. There are two other simultaneous battles happening in other systems.

BTW - not just having fun here :).  I found a bug while running this battle.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:54:31 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull, Nori, King-Salomon, DEEPenergy, Protomolecule, skoormit

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #809 on: April 10, 2020, 12:59:06 PM »
Thanks for posting, looking nice and fast. But you didn't answer the most important question. Who won? Or rather who lost less..  :)