Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 107601 times)

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
EDIT: For the same reasons, I'd like an auto construct ship option.

Auto-construct ship would be great, or (another step down the rabbit hole) a build queue per shipyard, but I understand that might be a bunch o' crazy.

+5 for outposts!  Would really help with my RP.  Some ruins planets are worth colonizing, others should just be overgrown research stations.  If not outposts, then having some flexibility in the 25m cut-off for source / stable / destination would be great.

Also, on the hyperdrive / SM LPs issue . . . I was just sayin' in something else that of the 5 LPs, the one we get is L5, the trailing 60 degree one.  Maybe outlying stars in binaries could have an jump point at the L1 or L2 binary.  That'd be closer than the one trailing 60 degrees.  Buuuuuuutt, the math involved in the L1 and L2 is a pain, and the math with the L4 and L5, not so much.

Hyper drive is more strategically interesting, but until the ships default to using it when appropriate (and fuel is used correctly, too) it's just too much micro-managey even when it works. 

I've actually gotten in the habit of deleting any new systems that have really distant binaries, a possibly habitable world, and no jump points to get there.  I just don't have the brain wavelength to remember it's out there if I don't use it, and the last thing I want is some NPR coasting in 10 years after I found a colony saying hello.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »
There is a delete star button in the System Properties screen with SM on.  You don't need to wipe the whole system to get rid of offending outlying bodies.

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
There is a delete star button in the System Properties screen with SM on.  You don't need to wipe the whole system to get rid of offending outlying bodies.

I'm usually secretly hoping I re-roll a binary with a jump point to the outlier . . .
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
This is half-bug, half-suggestion.

I am kiting a big-bad and slowly whittling it down with my fleet set to follow at a safe distance. The contacts name changes due to the damage that I am inflicting and my fleet decides to stop because it can not find the target anymore.

I frantically made another order for them to move the frack out of the way but they are trained at 25% and it took precious seconds to move. I lost 2 BBs and 1 CC, half my total firepower, before I managed to get out of range again. I now barely have enough firepower to whittle it down.

Would it not be better if the contacts displayed in the order list were the ship names only, and not contain the shields/speed etc?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
Give us a reason to spread our labs around a bit. It's not logical that they all should be focused on earth (or what your starting colony is called), but just like with mines you need to move them around and expand.

1.) A new lab called "field lab". It works a bit like an auto mine, and only require for example 20000 workers instead of 1 mil. To balance it is twice as expensive as a normal lab.

2.) Divide ruins into two parts, the science part and the recovering physical installations part. To be able to recover tech from them you need to move at least one lab and scientist there and start working on a sceintific project, to speed up the process more labs can be moved there. This needs to be balanced so that it pays you back around 100% more RP then invested per tech level higher the ruin is.

3.) Field labs can also be built as a big ship/space station component (similar in size and cost to orbital habitats), so you can build science stations that provide research to the colony they orbit.

4.) Add "anomalies". These can be located on planets and give a local bonus in one certain fields of research, for example +50% power and propulsion research on that planet. Anomalies can also be out in space related to jump points, for example a stalbe or unstalbe wormhole allowing travel for crafts with no jump engine without building a jumpgate.

5.) Studborn researchers, sometimes a researches refuse to leave his colony, so if you want the bonus the labs need to move to the colony instead!

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »
Give us a reason to spread our labs around a bit. It's not logical that they all should be focused on earth (or what your starting colony is called), but just like with mines you need to move them around and expand.

1.) A new lab called "field lab". It works a bit like an auto mine, and only require for example 20000 workers instead of 1 mil. To balance it is twice as expensive as a normal lab.

2.) Divide ruins into two parts, the science part and the recovering physical installations part. To be able to recover tech from them you need to move at least one lab and scientist there and start working on a sceintific project, to speed up the process more labs can be moved there. This needs to be balanced so that it pays you back around 100% more RP then invested per tech level higher the ruin is.

3.) Field labs can also be built as a big ship/space station component (similar in size and cost to orbital habitats), so you can build science stations that provide research to the colony they orbit.

4.) Add "anomalies". These can be located on planets and give a local bonus in one certain fields of research, for example +50% power and propulsion research on that planet. Anomalies can also be out in space related to jump points, for example a stalbe or unstalbe wormhole allowing travel for crafts with no jump engine without building a jumpgate.

5.) Studborn researchers, sometimes a researches refuse to leave his colony, so if you want the bonus the labs need to move to the colony instead!

I like 4.

As for spreading them out, I usually end up doing so because of ruins.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 03:16:01 AM »
As for spreading them out, I usually end up doing so because of ruins.
Guess that is a matter of playstyle, just hauling the recovered components home has been more simple for me so far.

If I spread labs around it's only for RP or population (very rare) reasons.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:27:19 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 05:12:16 AM »
Anomalies are a good idea no matter what.  Right now there's not really enough reason to expand to the stars, anomalies would be a great way  to encourage and reward exploration.   Planets, stars, gas giants, black holes, etc. could provide bonuses to research fields, or make available special research projects that must be completed on site that give bonuses or make available special tech (like Advanced Railguns.)

Honestly, if I had my druthers, I'd take research labs out of the game entirely (or hack it so each race had a fixed number of 'phantom' research labs) and rebalance research costs so they weren't as exponential.  Ideally this would make tech specialization both more important and more rewarding, and eliminate runaway teching.  It is weird that conquering a world full of low-tech schmucks nets you a doubling of your research capability. ^___^

EDIT - To detail how that might work.

Regardless of your industrial potential, you get 4000 base rp / year.  4000 rp/year is the base output of a current 500m population start.  Smaller starts would still have full research capability, but it would be burdensome in terms of wealth.  Larger starts wouldn't have any direct advantage other than technology being relatively cheaper.  For purposes of being similar to Aurora's current system, it's split between 10 'phantom labs' that each generate 400 rp. 

Scientists get field bonuses just like they do now, and admin ratings that vary from 2-10 labs.  This ensures admin skill is always relevant. 

Currently, tech costs increase as following. I'm using Capacitor Recharge Rate as a reference.

1: 1000
2: 2000
3: 4000
4: 8000
5: 15000
6: 30000
8: 60000
10: 125000
12: 250000
etc.

Each tech is twice as expensive as the previous tech.  This wouldn't work with a flat base RP scheme.

A problem I see with this scheme is that even if your race is specialized in a certain field, any race of equivalent tech level can be almost as good at it for a relatively paltry amount of RP. 

1: 2000
2: 3000
3: 4000
4: 5000
5: 6000
6: 8000
8: 10000
10: 12000
12: 15000

Though the costs don't hike nearly as much it might actually be harder to get to some of the higher techs, because it's much harder to expand research capability. 

More specialization might not necessarily be the greatest thing in some ways, since rushing tech is a bit easier.  However, I think that would get kept under control by the same thing that keeps Auroras tech scheme under control: in Aurora breadth in technology is extremely important. 

The big advantage of a flat base RP scheme is that it allows small high tech factions and big low tech factions to exist.  In Aurora right now economic might = research might for all intents and purposes. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:19:25 AM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2013, 01:17:34 AM »
Fuel Harvestor module tech tree expansion i think the baseline is 50000 per unit.  Why not add another say 5 levels each level adding 10000 liters per level ( fuel refineries have tech expansion)
So
Level 1 - 50000 L
Level 2 - 60000 L
Lv 3 = 70K
Level 4 = 80 K
Level 5 = 90K
Level 6 = 100K

As ship sizes scale up would provide for an offset to the fuel crunch by allowing fleets to have a harvestor or two
Just an idea for tech scale up.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 01:43:42 AM »
i found a planet where humans would require infursturcture.  I Genetically modified and created a human 2 race now the colony 3 jumps out from earth had humans on it so i sent human 2 there and removed the humans.  Now im getting messages that human 2s are still resenting minority status even though all other original humans have been removed and their colony buildings etc sent over to the new ones.  Seems to be a bug or a ability to change the race on a planet but the unrest still rises

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2013, 03:40:37 AM »
IIRC, sorium harvester rate is 20000 l, multiplied by base mining rate tech. (Maybe by fuel production tech as well?) Anyway, it does go up.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2013, 05:30:32 AM »
ah so its base mining technology that affects it ill test it in my game just to confirm but thanks

edit yup seems to work as intended thanks night star

Offline Thundercraft

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »
I recommend adding a [Default] button on the "Game Details" and "Create New Game" windows.  It would be quite useful to new players who are afraid of playing around with the settings without being able to remember what the "default" settings are.

Also, I recommend a [Quit] button on the "Game Details" window.  The "Create New Game" window has one.  But the only way to quite "Game Details" is by clicking the [X] in the corner.  And that has the side-effect of starting an empty game, with a narrow game menu appearing and requiring the player to select "Exit" from the "Game" menu to confirm.
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 10:10:05 PM »
I recommend adding a [Default] button on the "Game Details" and "Create New Game" windows.  It would be quite useful to new players who are afraid of playing around with the settings without being able to remember what the "default" settings are.

Also, I recommend a [Quit] button on the "Game Details" window.  The "Create New Game" window has one.  But the only way to quite "Game Details" is by clicking the [X] in the corner.  And that has the side-effect of starting an empty game, with a narrow game menu appearing and requiring the player to select "Exit" from the "Game" menu to confirm.

good idea

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »
Given the new crew, survivors and PoW tracking it would be good to have the ability to redistribute them across a TG in much the same way that fuel and maint supplies can be reallocated at the moment. Obviously this could throw up some significant complexities on crew morale and dealing with splitting up PoWs ahead of being interrogated but this could be solved through:

- Disallowing transfer of PoWs untill they had been "processed"
- Simple averaging of new crew v existing crew morale