Author Topic: Paired Start NPRs  (Read 1427 times)

Offline TheTalkingMeowth (OP)

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Paired Start NPRs
« on: November 27, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »
So, in C# it is possible that when an NPR is generated on a planet, two (or more?) NPRs get generated instead. However, there doesn't seem to be anything preventing them from pissing each other off just by existing. NPRs aren't supposed to claim shared start systems or neighboring systems, but this may not be working right. I've generated two sets of paired NPRs in my current playthrough (and I've only run into 3 systems with non-original NPRs, so the odds of this seem high!). Both pairs went to war about 8 months after they spawned.

Anybody else encountering this? What do people think of this feature?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
Re: Paired Start NPRs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 01:33:42 AM »
I like the idea that they do this, but both in VB6 and now in Aurora I've only experienced the situation you described - they both go to war with another really quickly. That causes massive slowdowns while they duke it out and more risk of interrupt loops through npr combat.

Encountering two NPRs at war with another is really cool, but having all double-spawns head for self-destruction isn't. I'd prefer the feature be turned off (or there be a seperate chance for more than one NPR spawn that can be dialed to 0), or twin NPRs to have fixed relations to always be at peace, or at least never go into the negatives.

Offline Tikhun

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 04:08:37 AM »
I actually had exactly the opposite experience (in 1. 9. 5).  I have found two NPRs sitting on the same planet once, and they were completely peaceful towards each other.  They lived without war for at least 30 or 40 years (I dropped the game afterward).  One was ~3 times bigger than another; both had some ships in home system, but only one (the bigger one) was actively traveling outside of it and had made a couple of colonies in other systems. 

Probably I was very lucky, and they randomly were generated as very peaceful (low xenophobia?), but just to point out that it is possible to see. 

I like the idea of total war of two NPRs from the same planet thou, but probably as a rare occasion.  An option to turn off paired NPRs would be nice too. 

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 05:01:15 AM »
Encountering two NPRs at war with another is really cool, but having all double-spawns head for self-destruction isn't. I'd prefer the feature be turned off (or there be a seperate chance for more than one NPR spawn that can be dialed to 0), or twin NPRs to have fixed relations to always be at peace, or at least never go into the negatives.

Maybe some coding could be done so they avoid a world wrecking total war, but they will skirmish over asteroids or colonisation rights? At least until they can leave their home system and expand elsewhere. Then once the homeworld is less important, they will go for total war if they need to.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 05:35:22 AM »
I actually had exactly the opposite experience (in 1. 9. 5).  I have found two NPRs sitting on the same planet once, and they were completely peaceful towards each other.  They lived without war for at least 30 or 40 years (I dropped the game afterward).  One was ~3 times bigger than another; both had some ships in home system, but only one (the bigger one) was actively traveling outside of it and had made a couple of colonies in other systems. 

Probably I was very lucky, and they randomly were generated as very peaceful (low xenophobia?), but just to point out that it is possible to see. 

I like the idea of total war of two NPRs from the same planet thou, but probably as a rare occasion.  An option to turn off paired NPRs would be nice too.

Ah, nice to know that they can do that too!

Maybe some coding could be done so they avoid a world wrecking total war, but they will skirmish over asteroids or colonisation rights? At least until they can leave their home system and expand elsewhere. Then once the homeworld is less important, they will go for total war if they need to.

I very much like that idea since it's also what I'm role-playing with my player empires. It sounds very complex to make, however.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 10:37:38 AM »

I also encountered a paired star NPR scenario where the two species were at peace. It made the war against them interesting as I had to deal with both their fleets as one used lasers and the other used particle beams.