Author Topic: Save DB  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Nori (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Save DB
« on: April 14, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
So after the release I started thinking about the scenario depot that was talked about and then how patches can remove save games and it got me thinking... Is it possible for the game to save to a separate DB so that the "static" data of the game is separate from the save game data? I don't know of the feasibility of this from a programming perspective, but I can think of several positives.
  • Whenever you save the game it appears a full DB backup is made, this leads to a largeish harddrive write which does take some time. A separate DB would be much smaller.
  • When DB updates are required it probably wouldn't break the saves (this could be sticky though if there are any conflicting changes...)
  • It would be a bit easier to share game saves

I wouldn't be surprised if this was thought of and discarded for some reason, so forgive me if I missed a discussion on it. I just haven't seen it brought up and figured I'd mention it in case it hasn't been thought of.

Thanks for your hard work Steve!

Offline Zhatelier

• Chief Petty Officer
Re: Save DB
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
Some sort of separate DB or Export Save (and Import Save) would be handy indeed for the scenario depot idea. Considering the amazing world creation tools that arrived with C#, the only way to sharing a map is shuffling around the entire DB, which often has data that probably wouldn't need to be shared. But this probably isn't a high priority feature.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »
The problem there is if the game save data tables need to be updated. I've not looked at the DB but I surmise most of it is game save related.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
The biggest issue would be the pantheon of unique IDs for the different game data that would need to be generated into your DB when you import a save from another player. If they would be plainly imported into your DB they would mix with the games you run and nothing would work anymore because of duplicate IDs or overwritten IDs.