Author Topic: Preventing the game from opening duplicate windows  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Franss22 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • F
Preventing the game from opening duplicate windows
« on: April 19, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »
I dont know if its been asked before, and if its easily feasible, but it would be nice that if i open the minerals view, then go back to the system map, then open minerals again (using the buttons from the map) it wouldnt open a new, separate minearas window, but just focus on the one i had already open. Tis might have some extra complexity because some of the buttons open the same window, but on a different category (mainly the colony window, with minig, science, industrym etc), so the game would have to choose between opening a separate window if i open mining then science, or keep the same window but change the category open. (i personally prefer the second but we'd have to see)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Preventing the game from opening duplicate windows
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 05:57:39 PM »
Some were buggy, like the research one and Steve, already fixed it with only one possible to be opened.

I am sure he will review all of these QOL later on, you should post a suggestion on the relative suggestion thread and he may check that out for you

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:15:51 AM »
I dont know if its been asked before, and if its easily feasible, but it would be nice that if i open the minerals view, then go back to the system map, then open minerals again (using the buttons from the map) it wouldnt open a new, separate minearas window, but just focus on the one i had already open. Tis might have some extra complexity because some of the buttons open the same window, but on a different category (mainly the colony window, with minig, science, industrym etc), so the game would have to choose between opening a separate window if i open mining then science, or keep the same window but change the category open. (i personally prefer the second but we'd have to see)

It was a QoL improvement to allow opening multiple copies of the same window -- primarily to allow drag-and-drop between them.  If this changed back, almost every window would need to be expanded to include a multi-function 'drag-and-drop' space in which one would 'park' an item while switching from its origin to its destination view.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:41:16 AM »
It was a QoL improvement to allow opening multiple copies of the same window -- primarily to allow drag-and-drop between them.  If this changed back, almost every window would need to be expanded to include a multi-function 'drag-and-drop' space in which one would 'park' an item while switching from its origin to its destination view.

What things can you drag and drop between windows?

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »

I can see two way of solving this conundrum :
 - Adding a configuration switch (similar to the "keep Tactical in Background" checkbox)
- Using a key combination (for example : pressing "shift" when opening a view will open a new window, while not pressing shift will set the currently opened window on the foreground)
- Both of the above (default behaviour set by the configuration, the other behaviour being still accessible thanks to a specific key configuration)

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »

I can see two way of solving this conundrum :
 - Adding a configuration switch (similar to the "keep Tactical in Background" checkbox)
- Using a key combination (for example : pressing "shift" when opening a view will open a new window, while not pressing shift will set the currently opened window on the foreground)
- Both of the above (default behaviour set by the configuration, the other behaviour being still accessible thanks to a specific key configuration)

Why not left click re-opens the current/most-recent window, right click spawns new copies, and a toggle somewhere to swap left/right, everyone wins.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 06:10:39 AM »
What? No. Sometimes I want more than one of the same window open. Have you heard of alt-tab?

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 06:13:29 AM »
What? No. Sometimes I want more than one of the same window open. Have you heard of alt-tab?

I'm not saying this to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious - Why?

A lot of people seem to have asked for multi-windows as a QoL feature, and want to keep it. It sounds like you have some uses in mind for two windows of a kind, and people have mentioned drag-and-drop. But I don't know what you'd use it for, or what you'd be dragging and dropping. Can someone explain it, so I might use it?

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 06:19:23 AM »

A lot of people seem to have asked for multi-windows as a QoL feature, and want to keep it. It sounds like you have some uses in mind for two windows of a kind, and people have mentioned drag-and-drop. But I don't know what you'd use it for, or what you'd be dragging and dropping. Can someone explain it, so I might use it?
Personally I use it for comparisons and checking things, or if I want to alter things in two nations at once without having to keep swapping back and forth in all the screens or if I want a window open displaying one thing at all times whilst simultaneously playing the game (for example to keep an eye on terraforming or construction progress, it's easier to alt-tab to an already open window than try to open a new window whilst the game is running).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 06:30:14 AM »
You can also drag and drop between windows - fleets, ground forces, etc.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 06:33:30 AM »
I had a problem with the way this worked because I was used to using the main toolbar for switching between windows. I moved my taskbar to the top of the screen and its helped. Though not ideal.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 07:34:14 AM »

I will often want to monitor something over time on a particular tab of the Economics window.
I love having the ability now to open a new Econ window to address other things that occur while I am monitoring the first thing.

For example, say I want to switch a colony's population status to "Stable" as soon as it has reached a specific population.
Maybe it will take many months for the population to reach that target.

In VB6, since I could only have one Econ window, I just had to remember about this particular task as I respond to all the other things that need attention.
New ship built: go to Shipyard tab and queue new ones.
Build queue finishes: go to Industry tab and queue more.
Research finishes: go to Research tab and start next project.
Etc., etc., etc.
And all the time, I have to keep in the back of my mind this one thing I'm keeping an eye on, and go back and check the population of this colony every little while.

But now I can keep an Econ window open showing that specific colony summary screen.
I can attend to all the other necessary things in another window, and not disturb my "don't forget this" window.
In fact, I keep a small stack of Econ windows open in a specific place for things like this.
I think of it as my "string around the finger" list.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 07:48:04 AM »
Shift click opens a brand new window, and a single click just brings the active sheet(s) to the top?

The following users thanked this post: MarcAFK

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 09:26:14 AM »
Personally, I find the multi-windows extremely aggravating. I regularly have to go through and close 20 or 30 open windows because my habit is to hit the button to access a window rather than alt tabbing.  I would dearly love a way around it through toggle or separate click methods.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 09:32:25 AM »

I use it to design active sensors and fire controls at the same time. That way I can match them much better in capability than having to design one and then design the other only to realize I need to change something on the first and have to go back. With two windows open, I can adjust simultaneously. Or I can design multiple fighters and a carrier at the same time. Create a carrier squadron with the complete overview instead of either having to pre-determine the settings and design them one at a time - or going back and forth in the dropdown menu of VB6, having to remember the parameters for each one at the same time while adjusting the design. Or I want to compare the minerals in two different systems to determine where to colonize next. This is only possible with multiple mineral search windows, since you either search in all systems or one system.

I suppose drag-and-drop between windows will become more useful when an empire expands to much that either fleets or ground forces required scrolling to go through the list. If you need to scroll through the list, then you can't really drag-and-drop from the top fleet to the buttom fleet unless you open two windows. Though this is only an expectation. I haven't had this need yet.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:38:20 AM by smoelf »