Author Topic: Boarding Ships  (Read 1226 times)

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Boarding Ships
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:43:50 AM »
I think we can improve the way boardings works. "In real SyFy life" ships are usually shot in the engine if someone wants to board them. That way it becomes way easier for breaching pods to get onboard.

Since there is no way in Aurora to do exactly that, I propose that we add a way to attack ships specifically so their engines cut down. Maybe using one of the different weapon systems we have for just that. It should be some kind of "short range" weapon so it cannot be massively used against big battle fleets, but mainly for "stopping an envoy", "shutting down an elint ship", or for pirates to "capture the freighters". Slowed down ships than can be breached way easier.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Boarding Ships
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 01:03:49 AM »
Microwaves should be specifically suited for this, but I can't remember what the results were from rigorous testing.
Edit. un Screwed up the link below http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=1680.0
After checking ingame, engines arent listed under EDAC
Perhaps an argument could be made to have engines included in the electronic damage. It would need to be a lower percentage than other components, considering the size of engines, and for balance reasons.
But then again, Engines are generally the most likely component to get damaged in a battle so they should be easier to disable already. You just need high damage attacks to get past their HTK
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:32:11 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline cool_hc

• Leading Rate
  • c
Re: Boarding Ships
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 01:11:50 AM »
I recall Steve had an explanation when he created 'boarding action' the first time around in 2011, back in VB6.   
i think the randomness makes it more exciting.   
i think using non-missile weapons increases your chance of slowing down the ship without blowing it up.   

there's a link below to the original post:

hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php/topic,1680. 0. html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:13:51 AM by cool_hc »