Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263564 times)

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1815 on: January 21, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »
I love this idea, Drgong!  If you write as you go, I'd definitely read that.

Now that I know there is intrest, I will write it up in detail as a ARR.

Right now I am at least trying to work the game to the point of leaving the sol system as I did a conventional start  ;D

Right now the start is at http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9801.0

I made some Python programs to automate some of the background stuff, up to and including the lower house elections and so on.
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1816 on: January 22, 2018, 01:24:17 AM »
That looks super.  Flagging it to read soon.

Also, I know nothing about programming but this caught my attention.

>I made some Python programs to automate some of the background stuff, up to and including the lower house elections and so on.

I've been using competing diplomacy teams to help gauge and somewhat randomize power dynamics between factions, which lead to elections, but that's a whole other level. 

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1817 on: January 22, 2018, 08:15:05 AM »
That looks super.  Flagging it to read soon.

Also, I know nothing about programming but this caught my attention.

>I made some Python programs to automate some of the background stuff, up to and including the lower house elections and so on.

I've been using competing diplomacy teams to help gauge and somewhat randomize power dynamics between factions, which lead to elections, but that's a whole other level.

The code to figure out how long a royal lives and how many kids they have was a lot of code.  The election system is simple.  I could most likely add code to do the math for seats and so on but I can do that quickly.   It asks for the Party name, what they had in the election, and how much was the vote allocated.  Then it randomly decides if the vote went up or down.   It easier to show then explain.  If you needed a program to fill elections, let me know and I can polish it up and have so you can run it.

Code: [Select]

# Import the modules
import sys
import random

nameparty = raw_input ("What is the party name")
party = input ("What is the party percentage in the last election")
remain = input ("how much of the electorate remains")

roll = random.randint(1,2)
roll2 = random.randint(1,10)
if roll == 1:
  party = party + roll2
if roll == 2:
  party = party - roll2
if party > remain:
  print "the ", nameparty, "gets", remain, "in the election"
if party < 2:
  print "the ", nameparty, "does not meet the minimum election threshhold"
if party > 2 and party < remain:
  print "the ", nameparty, "gets", party, "in the election"

Is the total of the election code, and since it in python most can look at it and figure out what the code is doing since it is easy to read.  Compare the the royal generator which is 215 or so lines of code.   

Also in my game I was able to jump from Ion to Plasma VERY quickly due to ruins, and suddenly I need to do look over my fleet and start figuring out what going to be kept, what is going to be converted to  militia units, and set up a scrapping program. 

Also

Code: [Select]
Manchester-A II
Duranium 4 743 200  Acc: 0.1
Neutronium 93 702 400  Acc: 0.1
Corbomite 15 681 600  Acc: 0.1
Tritanium 81 360 400  Acc: 1
Boronide 14 822 500  Acc: 0.6
Uridium 6 400 900  Acc: 0.1

Guess it fair to say there will be no long term Tritanium shortages in this game.  :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:19:13 AM by Drgong »

Offline bsh

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #1818 on: January 22, 2018, 12:56:22 PM »
Started a new game recently after the previous one crashed and corrupted the DB.
The only thing I'm doing differently this time for the first time, is I'm not using real star systems. Don't know how that exactly changes the game, but so far this game is very weird compared to previous ones. Hardly any minerals. Most systems are devoid of at least 2-3 types of minerals, so almost impossible to build self sufficient colonies without the need of external material shipments. Lots of totally empty systems. Lots of systems where most of the planets orbit around the B or C star, 2-7 trillion km's away, can't even get there. Many wrecks but no NPRs so far. Lots of new connections between already discovered systems - earlier I've always gotten a new system every time. Hyperactive civilians, causing lot of trouble. Super annoying populations with insatiable need for PPV.
I don't know if this has anything to do with non-real star systems setup, or just pure bad luck on the dice rolls?

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1819 on: January 22, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »
Started a new game recently after the previous one crashed and corrupted the DB.
The only thing I'm doing differently this time for the first time, is I'm not using real star systems. Don't know how that exactly changes the game, but so far this game is very weird compared to previous ones. Hardly any minerals. Most systems are devoid of at least 2-3 types of minerals, so almost impossible to build self sufficient colonies without the need of external material shipments. Lots of totally empty systems. Lots of systems where most of the planets orbit around the B or C star, 2-7 trillion km's away, can't even get there. Many wrecks but no NPRs so far. Lots of new connections between already discovered systems - earlier I've always gotten a new system every time. Hyperactive civilians, causing lot of trouble. Super annoying populations with insatiable need for PPV.
I don't know if this has anything to do with non-real star systems setup, or just pure bad luck on the dice rolls?
Probably a bit of both? I don't think minerals are connected to star names. But in my experience, the real star systems do seem to be a bit more likely to generate planets. The unreal star systems seemed to be more luck based, so more empty systems and more unusual binary stars. But you do get black holes and nebula etc to make the game more interesting.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #1820 on: January 22, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »
Hardly any minerals. Most systems are devoid of at least 2-3 types of minerals, so almost impossible to build self sufficient colonies without the need of external material shipments.

I almost never find systems that have every mineral readily available (except systems with NPR homeworlds) so this doesn't strike me as unusual.

The main advantages of "not real systems" are (1) more interesting system names, and (2) sometimes cool stuff like nebulae and black holes.

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1821 on: January 22, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
So, I finally encountered the alien race from Van Maanens Star again, four in-game years later. Found one wreck matching the first class we saw in Gliese 105 along with an unknown wreck from an unknown race (potentially a third race), and met two classes of their ships in Ross 128, where they've proved a great technological superiority over my vessels. They've been able to hammer at me with salvos of six size-6 missiles at speeds of over 30,000kmps, but my counter-missiles proved a valid response...right until I ran out of ammo by maxing out each salvo. :-[

A little embarrassing that I had to backpedal away from two contacts that I think I outmass, but after losing SLNS Reno and Oldendorf, it seems that twenty-two salvos has dried the enemy's magazine out. I managed to pick up the lifepods from each vessel, and now the survivors are slowly motoring back towards the enemy in a hope of engaging them with our own missiles, though I'm willing to bet getting into energy range would be no picnic for the enemy. Now if only I could actually move forward without the game just greying out each time I try to select it... >:(

Offline bsh

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #1822 on: January 23, 2018, 02:58:15 AM »
Probably a bit of both? I don't think minerals are connected to star names. But in my experience, the real star systems do seem to be a bit more likely to generate planets. The unreal star systems seemed to be more luck based, so more empty systems and more unusual binary stars. But you do get black holes and nebula etc to make the game more interesting.
Found nebulae, I was excited, but now I think they are more annoying than interesting. Surveying takes ages, and then I have to manually max the speed of any wessel going through them. (Don't want to mess with conditional orders already set up.)
But right after complaining here, I just found the Nassau system, a quadrinary, with 6 or 7 habitable worls with oxygen+nitrogen and almost perfect temps as well... And finally there's an alien population, woohoo! It's gotta be huge, 10 times thermal and 4 times EM signature compared to Earth with 15 billion population. Communication tends to be positive. We'll see if they're friendly or ... dead. Or unstoppably advanced.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1823 on: January 24, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »
I did a lot of "Organization", and did infill development in the 10 or so star systems I have explored.  I had dozens of tasks groups doing stuff, so I had them wind down and put in storage, did a top-bottom fleet review and cut my active fleet by 2/3rds (the rest went into reserve/militia and 40+ older FACs where scrapped to provide sensors, fire controls, and laser weapons for a patrol craft that was designed to use the old parts).   

Now that I have jumped two levels of engine development, it is to set up the PDC/mines/other defenses while the shipyards retool and start the process of building out a new fleet.  This one will be a near complete fleet replacement on combat ships.  But the ships have to be built and the crews will have to be trained.   Doing a lot of experiments on mines this game. 

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1824 on: February 03, 2018, 03:41:09 AM »
Wave after wave of 54 size 7 missiles are trying to penetrate my laser/gauss and ciws defences. Sofar none have made it, we are confident that none will get close enough...Having some 100 lasers, 500 gauss cannons and 45 ciws helps a lot . ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:27:15 PM by ExChairman »
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #1825 on: February 03, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »

Totally really baddest..:)

Iranon

« Reply #1826 on: February 04, 2018, 09:43:10 AM »
An infrastructure shipment to a ruins/anomaly colony 4 systems away from earth was ambushed, all freighters lost. Strength-24 energy impacts are well in advance of anything we are capable of.
We haven't yet found any major colonies of the NPR responsible.

Admirality is nervous about stretching our forces thin - there's a precursor stronghold we can't deal with one jump away from earth, and it is currently unknown whether a stable wormhole 2 systems away is a threat.

Current fleet capability is focused almost entirely on beam PD and one decisive missile strike just out of beam range, all on slow ships with commercial engines. A fast wing of beam cruisers is currently under construction. The military is pushing for torpedo bombers to acquire some ranged strike capability, despite the total lack of ordnance reserves. The civilian administration wants a focus on boarding technology since everyone encountered so far seems to be ahead of us in weaponry.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:44:45 AM by Iranon »

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #1827 on: February 04, 2018, 01:50:12 PM »
An infrastructure shipment to a ruins/anomaly colony 4 systems away from earth was ambushed, all freighters lost. Strength-24 energy impacts are well in advance of anything we are capable of.
We haven't yet found any major colonies of the NPR responsible.

Admirality is nervous about stretching our forces thin - there's a precursor stronghold we can't deal with one jump away from earth, and it is currently unknown whether a stable wormhole 2 systems away is a threat.

Current fleet capability is focused almost entirely on beam PD and one decisive missile strike just out of beam range, all on slow ships with commercial engines. A fast wing of beam cruisers is currently under construction. The military is pushing for torpedo bombers to acquire some ranged strike capability, despite the total lack of ordnance reserves. The civilian administration wants a focus on boarding technology since everyone encountered so far seems to be ahead of us in weaponry.

Hard time! but interesting situation. Good luck

Iranon

« Reply #1828 on: February 04, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »
Thank you! This may become a very short game...

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1829 on: February 06, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
This has been a odd game start.

1.  Sol has six jump points.
2.  Protomax centauri had plenty of bodies, but not one bit of minerals
3.  Sol itself is kinda light on materials, and had a major  fuel shortage due to limits of raw materials.
4.  One jump out is a bad guy.  Most likely Precursors
5.  Then the RNG gives me this.

Fuel is not a problem in the near future.  But now I have to figure out is it cheaper to process it there as fuel and haul it as fuel to earth, or haul the material to earth and process it there.