Author Topic: Rules  (Read 55631 times)

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
Rules
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »
Here are the rules.

Firstly, the game goes in turns and each turn is a month long (a month is defined in this as 30 days).

Secondly, each person has their own subforum in which we will do most of the game communicating.

Thirdly, the rules found in the Astra Imperia book hold true unless I specify differently.

Forthly, all battles will be automated for both RP and practical reasons. As a result I will need standard operating procedures from each of you. They can be as simple or as complex as you would like but there are pros and cons to both simple and complex SOPs. Also you can make various operations that have names, scopes, objectives, and as such their own SOPs.

Fifthly, I am taking the restriction about capital weapons being on cruisers or larger away. I forgot about that line and I have helped design more than one of the players and some NPRs without that restriction so in order to keep the game running smoothly that rule is out.

Sixth Rule Change: Teams
Teams may be formed for specific applications. Each team may be led by a Personality. Each team has a rating of 5d10. If a Personality is leading the team, add 10% of the Personality’s IQ to the team’s rating. The team’s rating is added to rolls.

Seventh Rule Change: Erik noticed that tactical rules talked about heat radiation but ship construction didn't have any rules about it here is a rule about ship construction and heat.
Radiator Rating
Each ship has a Radiator Rating equal to the hull divided by 500, with a minimum rating of one. Additional heat radiators may be purchased for 2MCr, 1 ton, and 1 LP per rating point.

Eight Rule Clarification: This comes up between the Promethian-Martian Embassy Exchange that was just done. Embassy teams and such need to actually be transported between the places. If its just a small group of people (20 or less) they don't need special transport capabilities on the ship they are using but large groups of people need to use transport ships.

Ninth Rule: Shields that are off at the beginning of combat may be activated. During the Bookkeeping phase they gain their natural regeneration rate, plus their power x 5 applied to the Collapse value. HEC rings may increase this rate. Shields that are damaged in this power up period have their reduced Collapse value available. This should make it that it takes two turns to power up shields.

That is all the big rules I can think of right now, but I may add or subtract from this as needed.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:51:24 PM by Sematary »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
What if I change the rule book?  ;D

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
Cheeky bastard. If that happens... well we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
What if I change the rule book?  ;D

I'll chase you down in Cyrodil :)  (unless of course said rules changes benefit me)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
New Rule.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 01:29:24 AM »
A reminder to everyone, you can increase your taxation at the expense of your complacency index or decrease it to improve your complacency index.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »
I've just been reading the Treaties section of the rules,  and it got me thinking,  wouldn't it be better if the relationship status level between the 2 empires would do a little more than just drive the thresholds of the different treaty levels?  it seems to me that it should also maybe affect the likelihood of accepting/rejecting a treaty,  for example if 2 species have had a peaceful border for 5 years, it seems that they would be more likely to agree to a non-aggression treaty than 2 species that have only known of each others existence for say 12 months.

just interested to see what everyone else thinks of this, It's always felt diplomacy has been an afterthought tacked on in every 4x game I've played.

Though I'm not convinced the relationship status number calculation should stay as it is,  theoretically it's possible to get it to 98 and therefore a Limited Defence treaty 1 month after meeting

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:55 PM »
Regarding Treaties.

It should probably be clearer than it is. When you encounter another race, the default status is No Contact, or zero. The treaties cannot jump levels. So even if they have a 98 "growth", the best they will have is Non-Intercourse, probably at 50. This must be in place for 2d10 months + 10% of XE. So a minimum of 2 months to increase to Non-Aggression, and a level of 75. This must also be in place for 2d10 months to move to Limited Defense.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:04:47 PM »
OK, that makes sense,  though I still think a bonus for length of peaceful contact is something to consider,  I dunno a small bonus to the acceptance roll for the next level of treaty every 12 months of an existing non hostile contact?

I just like that idea.

just small modifiers,  just something to make it feel more long term diplomacy than random die roll.

this is probably not really the place I should've put this because it's more a long term suggestion for AI than something specifically for this game,  I just figured the other players would be more likely to give feedback if I put it here.

honest

it's true

really
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:34:23 AM by boggo2300 »

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 12:55:26 AM »
I will look into what levels each of you should have with each other but it is possible that everyone would be heading to war with each other.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 01:51:19 AM »
I have figured out how I want to implement corporations. Each of your factions will get one corporation who has 1,000Mc. You can subsidize them one of several ways, you can give them money, you can pay for things for them, or if you are getting tax income from them you can wave some or all of it.

Now what can a corporation do?

They can mine at the cost of 1,000MC per 1/10th of the total of each mineral wealth of a body, example if a body has 10 Industrial Metals and 10 Radioactives for 1,000MC the company could start mining 1 Industrial Metal or 1 Radioactive per turn. If they put in another 1,000MC they can mine another 1/10 of the mineral they are already mining or do a different kind (no current in game benefit to that choice). The faction that owns the body that they are mining on can take 20% of their total in tax, the faction that owns the body they end up selling the minerals on can take 20%, and any faction that lays claim to the space used to transport the minerals through can take 10% meaning that a faction that controls all three can take 50% of the total wealth mined in taxes.

They can buy time in your shipyards to build a ship. This will give you money but it will obviously tie up your shipyard for quite awhile. Most of the time this will be a freighter but unless you put restrictions on weapons and/or other systems they will be able to build whatever they want. There are no limits on what restrictions you can or can't place on them regarding shipbuilding.

If you allow them to use the orbital or ground slots they can open a shipyard themselves which they can use or they can sell the shipbuilding capabilities to either governments or other corporations.

Most of the ships they build with be freighters that they will use to move mined minerals to colonies to sell. They will also be available to send colonists on but that will cost the normal cost plus extra though the total cost will be less than building a freighter.

Corporations will attempt to trade with anyone nearby unless there is a faction that will give them a better deal or a faction that has a better relationship with them (generally decided via things like taxation and restrictions) however they will almost always prefer their home faction to others with the second tier of preference being any factions that are currently trading with their home faction.

This is a new proposed system that has had very little playtest and will be tried out here. It is open to revision and possible deletion depending on how this turns out. As a note this system also plays into my idea on how to in game create pirates like the Obsidian Blade talked about in the default setting.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 07:34:14 AM »
I have figured out how I want to implement corporations. Each of your factions will get one corporation who has 1,000Mc. You can subsidize them one of several ways, you can give them money, you can pay for things for them, or if you are getting tax income from them you can wave some or all of it.

Now what can a corporation do?

They can mine at the cost of 1,000MC per 1/10th of the total of each mineral wealth of a body, example if a body has 10 Industrial Metals and 10 Radioactives for 1,000MC the company could start mining 1 Industrial Metal or 1 Radioactive per turn. If they put in another 1,000MC they can mine another 1/10 of the mineral they are already mining or do a different kind (no current in game benefit to that choice). The faction that owns the body that they are mining on can take 20% of their total in tax, the faction that owns the body they end up selling the minerals on can take 20%, and any faction that lays claim to the space used to transport the minerals through can take 10% meaning that a faction that controls all three can take 50% of the total wealth mined in taxes.

They can buy time in your shipyards to build a ship. This will give you money but it will obviously tie up your shipyard for quite awhile. Most of the time this will be a freighter but unless you put restrictions on weapons and/or other systems they will be able to build whatever they want. There are no limits on what restrictions you can or can't place on them regarding shipbuilding.

If you allow them to use the orbital or ground slots they can open a shipyard themselves which they can use or they can sell the shipbuilding capabilities to either governments or other corporations.

Most of the ships they build with be freighters that they will use to move mined minerals to colonies to sell. They will also be available to send colonists on but that will cost the normal cost plus extra though the total cost will be less than building a freighter.

Corporations will attempt to trade with anyone nearby unless there is a faction that will give them a better deal or a faction that has a better relationship with them (generally decided via things like taxation and restrictions) however they will almost always prefer their home faction to others with the second tier of preference being any factions that are currently trading with their home faction.

This is a new proposed system that has had very little playtest and will be tried out here. It is open to revision and possible deletion depending on how this turns out. As a note this system also plays into my idea on how to in game create pirates like the Obsidian Blade talked about in the default setting.

I would tax at the rate the empire has set up.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 12:46:31 PM »
I would tax at the rate the empire has set up.
I considered that but that started getting messy when three + empires were involved. Plus it got to the point where the corporation wasn't getting enough per mining haul to gain more money to do stuff. So I am testing this idea out and calling it a Corporate Tax.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
have you considered what would trigger a new corporation forming?

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 05:59:46 PM »
have you considered what would trigger a new corporation forming?
Still working on that.