Author Topic: Civilian companies  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
Civilian companies
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »
I am testing out a home rule in my solo campaign and was creating it as I go, I would like input from you guys if you would like to see it, in a much more completed form, in this game.

The idea is some of the largest companies are able to make space ships, and eventually mining colonies. Right now the idea is that freighters would either be able to rented by the government for colonization, at a higher price than if they did it themselves but you wouldn't have to build the ship or pay for its maintenance, or they would be used as trading ships for every Exploitation Point they pack into their ship in a turn the owner of the planet (or in the case of civilian mining the government of the company) would get 2MC, the government of the company of the ship would get 1MC, and the owner of the planet the stuff is dropped off on would get 2MC, each of those would be modified by your tax rate and the size of the populations involved this would represent the various taxes needing to be paid. Now if you notice the most you would be able to get from this is 5MC while if you own the planet you get 10 MC per exploitation point.

You would also be able to make laws and regulations regarding the companies but they would not have to follow them and would possibly bring their business elsewhere if there are too many restrictions for them. Also occasionally the companies might come to your government with some sort of deal, which may or may not be good.

This is not a fully fleshed out mechanic and its completely of my design but I figured it could be fun to try it out and if it ends up being a detriment to the game we can revisit it and think about removing it. So thoughts on including it?

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Civilian companies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
sure,  though seems like it'll be a lot more work for you!
would they use shipyard capacity to build their ships, or will you go the Aurora route, and they build them in civilian yards?
and if they build them in civilian yards could the government buy commercial ships from them?

The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
It actually wouldn't be too much more work, just a bit more cross referencing. I would probably have them be built in civilian yards, though they might ask to rent government yard space. The buying from civilian yards, maybe, I would have to look at how to balance that to make building them the normal way proper.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 08:05:26 PM »
I like the asking to rent government yard space now and then angle,  could be a nice income boost on an idle shipyard

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
There are pros and cons to renting it which is why I think it could be a balanced part. This whole system needs some serious look at balancing which is why I would like to introduce it into this game which is already going to test the balance of several systems.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
there's also the question of taking civilian vessels into the fleet as Auxiliaries, as per WWI (well actually it still holds for UK flagged vessels, the QEII used as a troop transport during the Falklands war for example)

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
There are a lot of things to still work out with this, including Fleet Auxiliaries, and the possibility of Q ships which you can do according to the rules but I don't know if you would actually want to right now.