Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 169066 times)

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #765 on: December 04, 2017, 01:38:42 AM »
I do really like the idea of daring rescue missions.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #766 on: December 24, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »
Minor suggestion here. How about adding scientist age to the list in the research tab? I think that having it there in plain sight would give the player a bit more incentive to give projects to younger, but less experienced scientists, rather than investing solely in someone who will probably die within the next five years.

The following users thanked this post: obsidian_green

Offline Scandinavian

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #767 on: January 05, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »
Using military units to reduce unrest should damage their maximum morale. In the real world, prolonged use of combat troops for security operations and counterinsurgency warfare has a pronounced detrimental effect on their combat readiness.

Likewise, combat should give a non-trivial temporary (but relatively long-lasting) bonus to maximum morale, representing the fact that peacetime training really is no substitute for actual battlefield experience.

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn, serger

Offline ropedog

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #768 on: January 10, 2018, 02:01:25 PM »
How about adding the "geological team survey complete" info to the System View and/or Geology Survey Report pages.
Also, in the Teams tab, it seems that you should be able to see the teams that you have created and their location.

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #769 on: January 10, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
How about adding the "geological team survey complete" info to the System View and/or Geology Survey Report pages.
Also, in the Teams tab, it seems that you should be able to see the teams that you have created and their location.

I would like to see the whole "Team-system" overworked (maybe after C# is finishes in a later version) - the main point is that you can create them at will with no time and at every place/body you want and be able to delete them at will...  even if you don't want to do this, there is no way to handle them easily...
with the new system that allows more than 1 "officer" at a ship like CO, Exec, Tac, etcpp it could be possible to create "ships" (like special shuttles, or even a "Inquisition cruiser") with a special module for each sort of team - you still need the team-members but the "ship" would be the team in most aspects

the "special module" would need 5 Officers/commanders etc with the needed skill to function - could also be part of the "auto assessment (maybe with the option to not allow administrators, researchers etc), if one of the team members is a navy officer he/she is the commander of the ship but not of the team - these ships would be able to get orders to use the "team ability's" like "survey ground", "research ruins" etc - maybe even with a auto-function like survey ships atm

basically it would be the same as teams atm but with the need to use ships to transport the teams, for RP it would be better to create special ships for them and that teams are not just created/deleted at will at every body you choose...

I guess the new system with more than 1 officer on a ship would be great for this, to give teams more fluff and RP - the "team-site" could still be used to list the "team-ships" and check/uncheck if a ship should have team-members, which kind of team members, where the ship is atm, etc

I am a fan of using the same game mechanics at the most parts in a game were they make sense - and using the (new) ship mechanics for teams looks like a win-win for me :)

---

also I would like to see some "color coding" at the summary page of a body like "No" in red if the body was not team-surveyed, green "yes" if it was... green colour coded ruins and research bonus if any, etc ... just some "one view, all seen" QOL improvements - but that is an other can of worms i am afraid...

Offline ropedog

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #770 on: January 17, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
Regarding failures, two similar ships with commercial components, except one has a grav sensor classifying it as military:
I'm fine with the military components failing, but when the engines continue to fail on the military ship and the commercial ship can go forever with the same equipment is frustrating.   Just having the grav sensor shouldn't make the commercial-rated engines or jump drives fail.

Offline Graham

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #771 on: January 25, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
Could we have a button to rename a system or body for all player races, not just the currently active one?

Its not a major thing, would just save a lot of clicks.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #772 on: January 26, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »

This has been added for C# Aurora.

The following users thanked this post: waresky

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #773 on: February 03, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »
It would be really neat to be able to "Part out" ships to MSP, even if it over time.   
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #774 on: February 04, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »
It would be really neat to be able to "Part out" ships to MSP, even if it over time.

Very prone to abuse, it lets you design/build a ship with a few very large/MSP expensive components heavy on minerals you have no use for, break out the parts for MSP conversion and then use a shipyard to spend more useless minerals on repairs. Repeat as needed to keep up with MSP demand.

This lets you save on minerals you actually have a use for by not needing them for MSP production, which very deliberately requires a bit of every mineral type.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #775 on: February 04, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
My opinion : 7.1 Suggestion become USELESS. Let stay in peace STEVE pls. See ya in Space.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #776 on: February 10, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »
Ability to manually design solar systems for use ingame.

Right now, the only guaranteed system we have is Sol. I'd like the ability to in future versions of the game, hand the game a well managed CSV file that dictates a system or systems that would be added to a roster for systems to be generated when visiting new systems, OR be able to grab them at will when using the "create new system" button in the F9 menu.

Offline Graham

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #777 on: February 11, 2018, 12:19:39 AM »
In VB6, and in what C# currently looks like, Box launchers seem to be just better than regular launchers 90% of the time.

At the moment 100 Boxes takes up the same space as 20 0. 25 mod launchers and 170 missiles of magazine space roughly, giving you half as many missiles but 5x the alpha strike.  And those 0. 25 launchers still have a x100 reload.  In C# aurora 0. 25 size has been increased to 0. 3 so the ratio will be even more favourable to the boxes. 
In VB6 and in C#, this means that the enemy will require 5x as many beam weapons to shoot down all of the missiles.
In VB6 due to the long range of AMMs, they could engage the single box launcher wave with many salvos, meaning that box launchers could often be worse against fast firing AMMs.  due to the lower amount of missiles.  However with the missile changes of C#, the range of AMMs has been decreased if I am not mistaken, which would favour one single large wave.

Especially now that box launchers are a free tech, I cannot see many scenarios where using box launchers is not dramatically more effective.  And the logistical issues with them do not seem overly troubling to me, seeing as they are able to be reloaded inside commercial hangers.

My ideal solution would be splitting box launched missiles into box launchers and externally mounted missiles.  Box launchers would function as they do now but increased to 0. 25 size mod, while externally mounted missiles would retain the 0. 15 size mod, but are treated as being outside of the ship's armour belt, meaning they may be hit every time the ship's armour takes damage.  If they are hit they have a chance to detonate, which causes them to explode and damage the ship, however this damage would not be internal damage.

This makes using box launchers as a main fleet armament still viable, although slightly nerfed, while still allowing their full use with a trade off of added risk of surface damage, dependent on how many missiles are mounted this way.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #778 on: February 11, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »
I would like to see the whole "Team-system" overworked (maybe after C# is finishes in a later version) - the main point is that you can create them at will with no time and at every place/body you want and be able to delete them at will...  even if you don't want to do this, there is no way to handle them easily...
with the new system that allows more than 1 "officer" at a ship like CO, Exec, Tac, etcpp it could be possible to create "ships" (like special shuttles, or even a "Inquisition cruiser") with a special module for each sort of team - you still need the team-members but the "ship" would be the team in most aspects

the "special module" would need 5 Officers/commanders etc with the needed skill to function - could also be part of the "auto assessment (maybe with the option to not allow administrators, researchers etc), if one of the team members is a navy officer he/she is the commander of the ship but not of the team - these ships would be able to get orders to use the "team ability's" like "survey ground", "research ruins" etc - maybe even with a auto-function like survey ships atm

basically it would be the same as teams atm but with the need to use ships to transport the teams, for RP it would be better to create special ships for them and that teams are not just created/deleted at will at every body you choose...

I guess the new system with more than 1 officer on a ship would be great for this, to give teams more fluff and RP - the "team-site" could still be used to list the "team-ships" and check/uncheck if a ship should have team-members, which kind of team members, where the ship is atm, etc

I am a fan of using the same game mechanics at the most parts in a game were they make sense - and using the (new) ship mechanics for teams looks like a win-win for me :)

---

also I would like to see some "color coding" at the summary page of a body like "No" in red if the body was not team-surveyed, green "yes" if it was... green colour coded ruins and research bonus if any, etc ... just some "one view, all seen" QOL improvements - but that is an other can of worms i am afraid...

I haven't coded anything yet, but I am thinking of disabling the ability to create teams on any body without a minimum population (perhaps 1m). This is particularly for espionage teams so you can't just create them on alien worlds. For geology teams, I could add some default orders for shuttles to move them around automatically.

Or, I remove the concept of teams entirely and replace them with new ground force capabilities. Thinking out loud....

1) Espionage team replaced by a scout function for ground forces. Scout formations can land on alien worlds to learn about the alien population (size, industry, tech, ground forces). They are have (expensive) stealth capabilities boosted by the formation commander (stealth bonus replaces espionage). They can be hunted by hostile ground forces or have a chance of detection by any civilian population (much higher if not same species).

2) Geology team replaced by geological survey capability for ground forces and ground survey becomes a significantly larger task requiring more personnel - to prevent simply creating vast number of geo-survey formations. Geology bonus based on the formation commander

3) Xenology team replaced by Xenoarchaeology capability for ground forces. Surveying and deciphering alien ruins becomes a significantly larger task requiring more personnel. Xenology bonus based on the formation commander.

4) Diplomacy team replaced by small but expensive ship module that can only function when in the same system as an alien population. I also change NPR responses so that their reaction to alien ships in the system is based on ship size and reduced if the ship has a diplomatic function. Diplomacy skill is based on the ship commander.

The following users thanked this post: Conscript Gary, serger, King-Salomon

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #779 on: February 11, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
Could we have a button to rename a system or body for all player races, not just the currently active one?

Its not a major thing, would just save a lot of clicks.

Good idea. I've added 'Rename System All' and 'Rename Body All' to the System View in C# Aurora.

The following users thanked this post: Graham, King-Salomon