Author Topic: What would you consider an FAC?(other media)  (Read 6389 times)

Offline RikerPicard (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
What would you consider an FAC?(other media)
« on: November 13, 2016, 10:48:13 AM »
USS Defiant?
Whitestars from B5?
Milennium Falcon?
Any other examples?

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Re: What would you consider an FAC?(other media)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
USS Defiant?
Nope, Defiant is more of a 5-6K tons corvette/frigate. FAC in ST would probably be some shuttle on steroids.

Whitestars from B5?
Milennium Falcon?
Definetely not.

Cutters/pinnaces from Honor Harrington and their own FAC/LAC introduced later in the series.
Pseudo-Corvettes used by Arachnids in Starfire series ( i have no idea how they were named in original, i read Starfire in Polish only ).
Star Wars probably had something like that given the sheer enormity of that franchise - something from KOTOR or SWTOR.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Herodotus4

• Chief Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »
Nope, Defiant is more of a 5-6K tons corvette/frigate. FAC in ST would probably be some shuttle on steroids.
Definetely not.

Cutters/pinnaces from Honor Harrington and their own FAC/LAC introduced later in the series.
Pseudo-Corvettes used by Arachnids in Starfire series ( i have no idea how they were named in original, i read Starfire in Polish only ).
Star Wars probably had something like that given the sheer enormity of that franchise - something from KOTOR or SWTOR.
The Arachnid parasites were called gunboats in the english version. The ST shuttle on steriods is a Danube runabout. I have no idea about star wars, I am not much of a star wars fan. (Sorry about the OCD police)

Offline RikerPicard (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
Hm, the Danube to me seems almost more like a fighter(since Aurora fighters aren't 1 or 2 man things like star furies or modern fighter jets), though Voyager's Delta Flyer might qualify as an FAC.

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:50:40 PM »
Any smaller ships that are bigger than "fighters" but smaller than actual warships. Although Corvettes may be included in both the category of "warship" and "fast attack craft". Because of the vagueness of Aurora, all fighters are technically FACs, and the same can be said for a multitude of Sci-fi universes.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
since Aurora fighters aren't 1 or 2 man things like star furies or modern fighter jets
I don't know how you're designing fighters, but mine are primarily 1-3 person ships (even up to the 500 ton max).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 03:52:56 AM »
If we go by crew it seems the USS defiant would have ~50 so it's probably slightly above a FAC.

The Millenium Falcon is possibly almost the right size ( might be closer to a large fighter due to it only requiring 4 crew ), but it doesn't seem to be a military ship mainly so I'm not sure how well it fits.

Your looking an offensive Military ship with around ~10 crew (depending on deployment time) probably in the Sci-Fi universe.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 05:12:02 AM »
The Millenium Falcon, or rather, ships its size in SW fit. It's a step above fighters and can fit a few weapons normally put on bigger ships. And don't forget SW runs in high automation and has droids, it'd probably have a bigger crew in Aurora.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »
This book series I've read quite a while ago (I think it was Crimson Worlds, but it may have been a different series as it was a long time ago and I've read so many) that the FACs of one faction was a small ship with a dozen crew that went stupidly fast (only matched in speed by courier ships which are just a small crew section and giant engines) and was equipped with only a big spinal railgun. Despite the tonnage being significantly higher than its equal in Aurora, because a "FAC" is a step just below the smallest warship (corvette) but still a military vessel, and automation in the series, this ship type equates to a FAC.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »
There are also Hunter-Killers from Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell.

The Millenium Falcon, or rather, ships its size in SW fit. It's a step above fighters and can fit a few weapons normally put on bigger ships. And don't forget SW runs in high automation and has droids, it'd probably have a bigger crew in Aurora.
But MF has waaaay to low firepower, after all its a fast and armed cargo freighter. FAC is suppose to be lightlky armoured but heavy armed craft with minimal crew.

(since Aurora fighters aren't 1 or 2 man things like star furies or modern fighter jets)
Speak for yourself, my fighters have 2-3 crew max ( interceptors with gauss can have only one crew ). Are you sure you've cut deployment time to 0.1 ?

The Arachnid parasites were called gunboats in the english version. The ST shuttle on steriods is a Danube runabout.
Thx for the correction.

Typing "Star Wars fast attack craft" in google yields those results :
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ixiyen-class_fast_attack_craft - one crew, unlike Aurora FAC's.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Fast-attack_patrol_ship - lack of any actual data.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 10:38:57 AM »
But MF has waaaay to low firepower, after all its a fast and armed cargo freighter. FAC is suppose to be lightlky armoured but heavy armed craft with minimal crew.
I said ships its size. Obviously a freighter isn't going to be as armoured as a dedicated warship. But it's still big enough you can walk around and sleep in a bed, not in a cockpit.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »
I said ships its size. Obviously a freighter isn't going to be as armoured as a dedicated warship. But it's still big enough you can walk around and sleep in a bed, not in a cockpit.
Many fighters in Sci-Fi do have a bed or two as well as a toilet in a compartment attached to the cockpit, but not enough room to actually walk around. Although the majority is that the pilots/operators do have to sleep in their seats, but those seats are very comfy as they have to absorb the forces of high-G maneuvering. And they are wearing spacesuits that are temperature controlled so they are also warm/chilled to their liking. All in all fighters seem to be quite comfy except in the cases that you are exploding into microscopic pieces when you are nailed by a seeker warhead, or melted by a high-powered laser.

Anyway, back on topic. I see the MF and similar sized ships are too large to be considered FACs as they are meant for longer ranged deployments. FACs would't have that space to walk around and sleep as they are just large fighters, kind of like aerial gunships like the Vulture from Halo but in space. The main difference between corvettes and FACs is that corvettes can operate for a time away from port (to go on patrol or support a fleet/convoy) while FACs need a base of operation somewhat close by as they only have a limited time away.

Offline RikerPicard (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »
I don't know how you're designing fighters, but mine are primarily 1-3 person ships (even up to the 500 ton max).

I have some fighter designs posted in the bureau, I'm curious how you manage to get the crew count so low since every system seems to add to it.

Offline RikerPicard (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »

Speak for yourself, my fighters have 2-3 crew max ( interceptors with gauss can have only one crew ). Are you sure you've cut deployment time to 0.1 ?

Thanks for the tip, actually I hadn't, and now that I went back and did that the crew is still 4 though.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »
Do you put active sensors on every fighter? That might be it.