Author Topic: Civilian maintenance  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Rajhin (OP)

• Leading Rate
Civilian maintenance
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
Since you can manually build civilian spacecraft I was using it for various domestic missions and started wondering about how is it's mechanics justified on meta level?
My jumpgate builder can travel many AU without ever needing redocking at any colony and basically living in space forever.
Bulky awkward design with AFR1200% suddenly becomes undecaying piece of art just because you put low power engines on it.
And it seems even crew stops to care (JCS had only a year of deployment limit and built 2 JG while a single JG construction takes much more) it was in space for years submitting to the prospect of living on ERMs and sleeping in barracks.
I might have missed something in wiki so do correct me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:24:50 AM by Rajhin »

Offline Wolfius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Re: Civilian maintance
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:07:52 PM »
Civilian and Commercial ships are two different things. Commercial is for ships without maintaince failure rates, Civilian is ships built and controled by your shipping lines and not you. Tho I get the terms mixed up myself at times.

I tend to handwave it as military ships being built to a higher standard, Commercial ships being more robust and lower maintaince. Commercial ships in government service are more merchant marine than unarmed navy ships, they're built to a different standard.

Although in meta terms I see it as limiting micro managment to where it's most meaningful; the decision to pull a warship off the front line for an overhaul or patch it with maintaince supplied and hope it doesn't explode adds more than 'better pull freighter #23346 of the infrastructure run', in addition to commercial ships being in use far more than military. It can be exploited, but so can SM mode.

As for crew, IIRC that only affects combat reaction speeds. A grumpy crew can still perform their duties, they just lose their edge and such, which doesn't matter overmuch unless you need things done quickly.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Civilian maintance
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:43:11 PM »
i always put the right number of crew berths for the expected duration of service time for my commercial ships, I know you could just leave it at 3 months, but i figure the mechanic is something that doesn't need to be gamed.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Rajhin (OP)

• Leading Rate
Re: Civilian maintenance
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:56:09 AM »
Thanks, I can see what you mean.  Having only played the game a little I figure I would curse the maintenance simulation on every taxi of empire later.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:25:08 AM by Rajhin »