Author Topic: Annual build rate in shipyard  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Gobbopathe (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
Annual build rate in shipyard
« on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »
Hello

According to this wiki topic (http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Shipyards), in the last "ship construction rate" part, my 3750t ship (75 HS) should be built in 87,5% BP ((100 - 75)/2) displayed in the shipyard tasks tab (where I can read "Annual ship building rate per Slipway for 5000 ton ship" = 440).
So it should be 440 x 87,5% = 385.

But my ABR is instead 261, which is closer to 60% of my 440.

I can't understand this ABR. I read it is not function of the shipyard size. Maybe the calculation is different since I still have a mix between conventional industries and transnewtonnian factories ?

Your opinion would be highly appreciated, since I am writing a french tutorial :)

Thanks a lot

Edit : I quote the wiki here to avoid you searching for it on the link I gave

Ship Construction Rates
The length of time is takes to build a ship depends on several factors. The primary one is the cost in build points. If there are two ships of the same size and the first costs fifty percent more than the second, it will also take fifty percent longer to build. The rate of ship construction is also affected by the actual size of a ship. The basis of this is that while a supertanker costs perhaps 1000x more than a fishing boat, it doesn't take 1000x as long to build. The larger shipyard needed for the supertanker can work on many more things at once than the small shipyard needed for the fishing boat. However, the reason the change in construction rate is based on ship size and not shipyard size is that it would hardly be efficient to build fishing boats in the shipyard intended for the supertanker.
The base racial Shipbuilding Rate applies to ships of size 100 (5000 tons). If a ship is a different size, the rate of shipbuilding will be:
Normal shipbuilding rate x (1+(((Class Size / 100) - 1)/2))
This is less complex than it looks. What it means is that the class size is divided by 100 to get a multiple of the base class size of 100. So a class of size 150 (7500 tons) would have a multiple of 1.5. This multiple is then reduced (or increased if less than 1) to half the distance between the multiple and 1. So for the size 150 ship, the final multiple would be 1.25.
So if the shipbuilding rate for a size 100 ship was 1000 BP per annum, the annual shipbuilding rate for a size 150 ship (7500 tons) would be 1250, for a 10,000 ton ship it would be 1500 and for a 15,000 ton ship it will be double (2000 BP per annum). A 25,000 ton ship will be built at triple the normal rate and a huge 125,000 ton Star Destroyer will be built at 12.5x the normal rate. Bear in mind that these ships will still cost the same as before and require the same resources. The shipyard will just use up wealth and resources at a faster rate.
Smaller ships will take longer than the racial shipbuilding rate would suggest. Still assuming a Racial Shipbuilding Rate of 1000 BP, a 2000 ton ship is 0.4x the size of a 5000 ton ship. Half the difference takes it to 0.7, so its annual construction rate will be 700 BP. A 1000 ton ship will be built at 600 BP per annum.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:29:49 PM by Gobbopathe »

Offline Gobbopathe (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
Re: Annual build rate in shipyard
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
To be sure I made the test in an other much advanced game (with no conventional industries anymore), and I confirm I do not find at all what is written in this wiki page.
For instance a 55000t terraformer (1100 HS) should be built 6 times faster than a 5000t ship. But my annual ship building rate is 518,8 for a 5000t ship, and only 972 ABR for this terraformer.

My 103300t asteroid miner (2066 HS) should be built 10,83 times faster than a 5000t ship, but I only get 1599 ABR.

So is the wiki calculation wrong, or did I understand it totally the wrong way ?

Extra question (but I would prefer an answer to this ABR issue) : I notice that building those ships is pretty long. Is there any way to increase the shipbuilding annual rate ? We can build factories to increase industry build points, mines to increase mining rate, but no way (I can see) to increase shipbuilding annual rate.
The only way I see (and never used, but I guess that is a solution you will advise to me), is to build the ship components in the industry tab. For instance if I build a geological survey sensor (or if I get it by scrapping an old geosurvey ship), can you confirm it will reduce the next geosurvey ship construction by 100 BP (since a geological survey sensor costs 100 Uridium) ? It does work automatically ?

Thanks again

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
Extra question (but I would prefer an answer to this ABR issue) : I notice that building those ships is pretty long. Is there any way to increase the shipbuilding annual rate ? We can build factories to increase industry build points, mines to increase mining rate, but no way (I can see) to increase shipbuilding annual rate.
The only way I see (and never used, but I guess that is a solution you will advise to me), is to build the ship components in the industry tab. For instance if I build a geological survey sensor (or if I get it by scrapping an old geosurvey ship), can you confirm it will reduce the next geosurvey ship construction by 100 BP (since a geological survey sensor costs 100 Uridium) ? It does work automatically ?

Thanks again
Not sure about the first part, I am going to have to do some testing on that.

As for speeding up your shipbuilding, you are on the right track.  If any components are present on the same planet as the shipyard when you first order the ship, they will be included in the ship, the components removed from the planets inventory, and the time to build the ship will be reduced by the materials already in the components.  I have managed to get 24000 ton ships build in 3-4 months if all the components were available.  Some things like armor can not be built by the factories and will need to be done in the shipyard.

Brian

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
I have no answer on the ABR issue.

However, building components in the factories can make a HUGE difference in build time.

It only works if the component is in the stockpile when the ship is ordered, and is otherwise automatic.

Offline Gobbopathe (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:27:06 PM »
Thanks for the quick answers guys
Good to get the confirmation for the stockpiled ship components being automatically taken into account in the next shipbuildings.

Now I am quite impatient to read your returns about ABR.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »
The build rate for your 3750t ships is per the formula on the Wiki...

Basic Build Rate (BBR) = 400
Ship Clas Size (SCS) = 75 (naval ship)
Ship Clas Size (SCS) = 19 (commercial ship, 0.25 of its normal size)

BBR*(1+(((SCS/100)-1)/2)) = 400*(1+(((75/100)-1)/2)) = 350 BP (naval ship)

BBR*(1+(((SCS/100)-1)/2)) = 400*(1+(((18.75/100)-1)/2)) = 237 BP (commercial ship)

When I start up a game and put my naval yard build rate to 400 (440 is not possible in my game, 400 is the starting value while 560 is the next step) I get the same values as above for a ship at 3750t. I tested both a military and a commercial ship type. You might have an administrator that increase the build rate though so I added one with a 10% bonus and the values increased accordingly from 350 to 385 and 237 to 261.

My conclusion is that your yard that you look at is a commercial yard that build a commercial ship with an administrator of 10% and a basic build rate of 400. That will give you a BP of 261 per annum. :)

Offline Gobbopathe (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »
I was going to answer exactly the same Jorgen after my ongoing tests : I noticed after some tests the wiki formula was ok with military ships, so I understood there was a (logical) difference between the military formula and the commercial formula.

So what should be added in the wiki is, as you said, that for commercial ships you should divide first by 4 the size of your commercial ship. All the other examples I gave stick to that rule.

You are totally right about my 10% governor, which explains the 440.

Thanks a lot, this topic can be closed ;)

Edit : did you read somewhere that, for commercial ships, we should consider only 0.25 of its normal size ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:21:06 PM by Gobbopathe »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
The information about commercial ships is on the same page slightly above under the section about commercial ships. I guess you just missed it. It could of course be reiterated under the section about ship construction rate for completeness sake.

Offline Gobbopathe (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 05:49:01 AM »
Dammit you're right, too bad for me.
Thanks