Author Topic: Shipyards: expand then add slipway, or add slipway then expand?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
Starting with a minimum-size shipyard with only one-slipway, what's the quickest way to end up with a large, multi-slipway shipyard?

Should I expand the single slipway up to the desired size, than start adding additional slipways?. . .  or add a bunch of additional slipways first, then expand them all to the desired size?

. . .  or is it about the same either way?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Shipyards: expand then add slipway, or add slipway then expand?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:49:27 AM »
whichever route you go, make sure you have the workers to support it!

I had greater than half my workforce manning my shipyards, not a situation i was happy about given the research and insdustrial expansion I was attempting.

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:08:10 AM »
Wow, Thiosk, that is a crazy amount of shipyards.  Was this at your home world, or on a colony? 

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:23:37 AM »
I would recommend building up the size of the shipyard before adding slipways.  The larger the shipyard gets the faster it increases in size.  The more slipways that a shipyard has the longer it takes to increase in size as each slipway has to be increased.  This means that a shipyard with three slipways will take three times as long to increase in size as a single slipway one would.  It is faster to up the size to what you want then add slipways than to go the other route.

Brian

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
To go from 1.000t, 1 slipway to say, 30.000t, 4 slipways should take the same amount of time, no matter which way you go (If not, I´d consider this a bug).
But, as Brian says, if you expand capacity first, you can start building ships as soon as you hit the size you want and then start adding slipways, while if you do it the other way around, you have to wait for the whole process to finish before you can lay down the first ship.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Deoxy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »
To go from 1.000t, 1 slipway to say, 30.000t, 4 slipways should take the same amount of time, no matter which way you go (If not, I´d consider this a bug).

It definitely does NOT work that way.

Adding capacity increases modification speed - that is, big shipyards can make changes to themselves faster than small ones.  Slipways do NOT count for that purpose.

So yes, if you know what size you want, increase to that size, then add slipways - that's faster.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
It definitely does NOT work that way.

Adding capacity increases modification speed - that is, big shipyards can make changes to themselves faster than small ones.  Slipways do NOT count for that purpose.

So yes, if you know what size you want, increase to that size, then add slipways - that's faster.
Slipways do however count for how much needs to be worked on to increase in size.  So for a 10,000 ton 1 slipway yard if your modification rate is 2000 then to add 1 slipway is going to take 5 months.  For a 5,000 ton 2 slipway your modification rate would be more like 1300 and you still need to add 10,000 tons for it to get to the same place.  The mod rates are just pulled out of the air as I am not near my game currently but the example does work.

Brian