Author Topic: Ships rather immobile  (Read 1384 times)

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Ships rather immobile
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »
So, I recently found this game through someone on an other forum, and after reading tutorials for the good part of three days, started into it, and the interface needs work.
Now my problem is:
I got 2 light combat vessels in my Starting loadout:

Code: [Select]
Seydlitz class Cruiser    2500 tons     223 Crew     246.2 BP      TCS 50  TH 240  EM 0
4800 km/s     Armour 3-16     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/5/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 3
Annual Failure Rate: 50%    IFR: 0.7%    Maint Capacity 62 MSP    Max Repair 20 MSP    Est Time: 3.05 Years

Nuclear Pulse Engine E8 (6)    Power 40    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 45.0 billion km   (108 days at full power)

Initial Meson Cannon (1)    Range 15,000km     TS: 4800 km/s     Power 3-2     RM 1.5    ROF 10        1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Basic Beam Fire Control (1)    Max Range: 64,000 km   TS: 3000 km/s     84 69 53 37 22 6 0 0 0 0

Survey Sensor SS1 (1)     GPS 1000     Range 5.0m km    Resolution 100
EM Detection Sensor EM1-5 (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
Which I think are pretty suited for a starting military ship, aside from the lack of any offensive power.

However, as I wanted them to get used to each other, and I have no idea how to let a fleet 'maneuver', so to say, I just send them repeatedly between mars and earth and gave some of the other available orders.
Now I don't know what exactly went wrong, I think they were to relay a message and I didn't specify any, but they spent a good part of the last two years hovering in space without much in the way of movement.

I've pulled back all their orders and ordered them to move to earth for an overhaul;
Nothing happens, they still move at 1km/s. Always.
I'm pretty sure I've somehow set them to that, theres the 'picket' order active, but I have no idea how to revert it.
Is there a possibility, or do I have to wait until I finally get tractor beams, and tow them back to earth?

I'd add a picture, though no idea what filetype that should be.

EDIT: Found the speed adjustment. rest of the questions below I still have no idea, though.

While I'm typing anyways, is there a way to add naming themes to ships without wiping the previous?

Also, is there a way to delete fleet orders from the middle of the list indead of just the lowest?
I also find it hard to distinguish task groups and task forces, even though one of them is sometimes referred to as fleet.

I got a Geology team that spent a year on earth and a year on mars, and so far hasn't found anything at all nor given me an info that nothing can be found.
Are they working at all, or do I just have weird luck?

When I build missiles, I can make them without warhead, and they are classfied as "Anti Missile Missile".
Does that mean AMMs don't need a warhead? Will they still kill missiles, but deal no damage to ships?
Or is that info meaning something else? Just names, after all.

What is an overhaul exactly good for?

Last question: If I build jumpgates, will my survey ships use them automatically to survey stuff?

That you for your time; regards.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Ships rather immobile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:29:45 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
So, I recently found this game through someone on an other forum, and after reading tutorials for the good part of three days, started into it, and the interface needs work.
Now my problem is:
I got 2 light combat vessels in my Starting loadout:

Code: [Select]
Seydlitz class Cruiser    2500 tons     223 Crew     246.2 BP      TCS 50  TH 240  EM 0
4800 km/s     Armour 3-16     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/5/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 3
Annual Failure Rate: 50%    IFR: 0.7%    Maint Capacity 62 MSP    Max Repair 20 MSP    Est Time: 3.05 Years

Nuclear Pulse Engine E8 (6)    Power 40    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 45.0 billion km   (108 days at full power)

Initial Meson Cannon (1)    Range 15,000km     TS: 4800 km/s     Power 3-2     RM 1.5    ROF 10        1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Basic Beam Fire Control (1)    Max Range: 64,000 km   TS: 3000 km/s     84 69 53 37 22 6 0 0 0 0

Survey Sensor SS1 (1)     GPS 1000     Range 5.0m km    Resolution 100
EM Detection Sensor EM1-5 (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
Which I think are pretty suited for a starting military ship, aside from the lack of any offensive power.

However, as I wanted them to get used to each other, and I have no idea how to let a fleet 'maneuver', so to say, I just send them repeatedly between mars and earth and gave some of the other available orders.
Now I don't know what exactly went wrong, I think they were to relay a message and I didn't specify any, but they spent a good part of the last two years hovering in space without much in the way of movement.

To train a fleet (task group), go to the taskgroup screen (F12), second tab "Special Orders/Organisation", click on "Start Task Force Training", done.

I´ll take a peek at your ship too, even if you didn´t ask for this :). I recently rewatched Battlestar Galactica and everytime they went to general quarters I went: "What´s this "Action Station c**p! What happend to the good old Battlestation call? Rant mode off)
Look at the F12 --> 4th tab "Naval Organization" and play around with it. It will soon become clear what each is

Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
When I build missiles, I can make them without warhead, and they are classfied as "Anti Missile Missile".
Does that mean AMMs don't need a warhead? Will they still kill missiles, but deal no damage to ships?
Or is that info meaning something else? Just names, after all.

What is an overhaul exactly good for?

Last question: If I build jumpgates, will my survey ships use them automatically to survey stuff?

That you for your time; regards.

AMMs need at least a 1 point warhead to kill an enemy missile
If you play with Overhauls needed, your military ships (anything that is not commercial) will "age" over time. You can see this on the F12 screen, upper right, in the list of the ships in the task group in the "Maint Clock" column.
The longer the time since the last overhaul, the more likely are system failures becoming. Those failures will be repaired automaticaly, if enough spares (Maint supplies) are on board. Once those run out, the system is out of action and your ship will start falling apart. An Overhaoul resets the clock.

I don´t think your survey ships will auto-survey through jumpgates, but I am not sure on this.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany