Author Topic: C# Ground Combat  (Read 82388 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: C# Ground Combat
« Reply #270 on: April 13, 2020, 01:08:36 PM »
No, you have to replace either the formation, or the elements of it.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »
Is there a way to update units using a formation template when that template changes?

No, a formation doesn't retain a template. The template represents the formation at the point of creation. After that, you can make whatever changes you like. Add or remove units, add new unit types, etc.

The following users thanked this post: thashepherd

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
Is there a way to update units using a formation template when that template changes?

No, a formation doesn't retain a template. The template represents the formation at the point of creation. After that, you can make whatever changes you like. Add or remove units, add new unit types, etc.

Will we get a "Rebuild to Template" option, for replacing losses or doing upgrades more easily?

The following users thanked this post: Vizzy, REDACTED

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #273 on: May 12, 2020, 12:13:49 AM »
Is there a repository for this information that I can look up? I don't know what "Headquarter" capacity means, total size of the formation the HQ unit is in? Number of units?
About the HQ capacity - It's in size and it represents the total size of units the HQ can control in the heirarchy below it (including it's own unit and including ALL units in subordinate HQ's). So when you ask "is it a platoon hq or a company hq" the answer is yes. You can create a hq to represent a platoon HQ and then put it under the command of a company HQ and so on up the heirarchy, just depending on the command limit you give each design. There's no limit to the granularity or grandiosity, though mechanically some approaches may be more effective or have different upsides and downsides than others.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2020, 12:15:03 PM »
I'm just lately getting back into Aurora after having played back in the pre-C# days, and found a couple of ground combat points I'm not clear on.

1) When a ground weapon has multiple shots, are they all fired at the same unit?
1b) When a ground unit has multiple weapons, are they all fired at the same unit?

2) How much of this do NPRs actually use so far? Presumably certain non-standard NPRs are ground-combat oriented, but do the regular NPRs field armies?

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2020, 12:18:00 PM »
I'm just lately getting back into Aurora after having played back in the pre-C# days, and found a couple of ground combat points I'm not clear on.

1) When a ground weapon has multiple shots, are they all fired at the same unit?
1b) When a ground unit has multiple weapons, are they all fired at the same unit?

2) How much of this do NPRs actually use so far? Presumably certain non-standard NPRs are ground-combat oriented, but do the regular NPRs field armies?

1ab)  Yes.  The target selection happens at the Unit Level, the resolution takes place at the element level.  Breakthrough can occur, which then begins another "round" of selection and resolution.
2)  Yes, they use it.
si vis pacem, para bellum

The following users thanked this post: Ulzgoroth

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »
And a question 3: is FFD used for supporting ground units with bombardment weapons, or only for air/space support? If it's used with ground support, how is that budgeted?
Quote from: Pedroig link=topic=9792. msg133385#msg133385 date=1589649480
Quote from: Ulzgoroth link=topic=9792. msg133382#msg133382 date=1589649303

1ab)  Yes.   The target selection happens at the Unit Level, the resolution takes place at the element level.   Breakthrough can occur, which then begins another "round" of selection and resolution.
2)  Yes, they use it.
Ah, since targeting is by element, does it follow that a single multi-shot attack can kill multiple units within the targeted element?

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »
Yeah real FFD mechanics for support or rear bombardment units are a thing that I'd like to know too. Steve mentioned they are needed but didn't explain how exactly. We know how they work with orbital only.

If we have a bombing unit and a front line unit supported by it, should FL unit have some FFD capability?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2020, 03:27:46 PM »
And a question 3: is FFD used for supporting ground units with bombardment weapons, or only for air/space support? If it's used with ground support, how is that budgeted?

Ah, since targeting is by element, does it follow that a single multi-shot attack can kill multiple units within the targeted element?

3 -- Air/space bombardment only;  One ship (including FAC) or up to six fighters
No effect on ground bombardment.

4 -- Yes.  Crew-served Anti-Personal, for example, gets six shots and therefore can 'kill' up to six elements of the opposing unit.

The following users thanked this post: consiefe

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
Do science Ground Units need logistics at all assuming they don't get into fights?

Nothing I've read says they do, but I have a sneaking suspicion...

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #280 on: May 25, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
No, they don't use it. Otherwise mine would go crazy after two years on the digging site.

Offline Steelpoint

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
I must be missing something, but how do you apply multiple capabilities to a single unit? I was intending to create a boarding capable infantry with genetic engineering but I can only have one capability on a unit at a time.

I've only brought this up since I've seen other people showing off ground units that have multiple capabilities attached to them.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #282 on: May 25, 2020, 01:13:04 PM »
I must be missing something, but how do you apply multiple capabilities to a single unit? I was intending to create a boarding capable infantry with genetic engineering but I can only have one capability on a unit at a time.

I've only brought this up since I've seen other people showing off ground units that have multiple capabilities attached to them.

It's either shift or control clicking on multiple ones.

Offline Steelpoint

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »

It's either shift or control clicking on multiple ones.

That was it, not at all intuitive it seems.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2020, 06:23:20 AM »
Do science Ground Units need logistics at all assuming they don't get into fights?

Nothing I've read says they do, but I have a sneaking suspicion...

Well, no unit needs logistics. . .

Supply is only used during combat, and can only be used during combat, so if your survey or xeno ground units don't have any shots (weapons) they can't use any supplies.  Being out of supply only penalizes attack, not defense (numbers, not stance), so a unit that can't shoot in the first place that is out of supply now can't shoot with one-quarter the chance to hit.  It also can't use up any of the 'free' ten rounds of supply it's built with so it can get out of supply.

Now, if you build 'science' vehicles with on-board CAP or something in their second slot you have a unit that uses supplies the same as any other.