Author Topic: Precursor ruins and abandoned factories  (Read 2116 times)

Offline James Patten (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Precursor ruins and abandoned factories
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:27:28 AM »
I discovered a habitable planet with precursor ruins, and some abandoned factories and mines.  "Great!" I thought, I'll send some colonists and they can go to work immediately.

No such luck.

How can I make the abandoned factories and mines usuable by my colonists?

I sent an archeological team in already and they've gone through the ruins and gotten all they can out of them.  They are still on planet.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James Patten »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Precursor ruins and abandoned factories
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:44:45 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
I discovered a habitable planet with precursor ruins, and some abandoned factories and mines.  "Great!" I thought, I'll send some colonists and they can go to work immediately.

No such luck.

I sent an archeological team in already and they've gone through the ruins and gotten all they can out of them.  They are still on planet.

Cybernetic team if I recall.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"

No such luck.

You need to send Cybernetic teams to recover abandoned mines and factories. If you move them to the colony, they will go to work automatically. Each 5-day increment you may see messages if they have reactivated one of the abandoned installations. The factories may turn out to be a type of factory, jump gate components, mineral supplies or even advanced missiles.

This will be a little trickier when v2.6 comes out because such ruins may have defending units controlled by the program. Unlike non-player races, which have to be controlled by the SM or a solo player, these units are entirely computer-controlled and the SM won't be able to see them.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Strohm

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:51:50 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
.... Unlike non-player races, which have to be controlled by the SM or a solo player, these units are entirely computer-controlled and the SM won't be able to see them....

I'm really new here and I haven't had the chance to get beyond the initial set up (this ?work? stuff is just inconvenient) so forgive me if my question seems odd

BUT
What does "controlled by the SM" mean?
Does that mean that if I'm playing the game I will have to play any opponents too?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Strohm »
?We bring you greetings from the people of earth.?
?Sir, do you think they are evolved enough to have language??
?I don?t think they are evolved enough to have ears.?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 09:09:41 AM »
Quote from: "Strohm"
What does "controlled by the SM" mean?
Does that mean that if I'm playing the game I will have to play any opponents too?

Although Aurora is now a very different game than 3rdR Starfire, that game had a lot of influence in the early design of Aurora. Starfire was designed to be played with several players and a spacemaster with the spacemaster setting up the campaign and playing all non-player races; although many people including myself would play solo campaigns, playing all the races in order to create a universe history that they could write about. The Rigellian Diary is an example of that type of campaign.

Aurora (for the moment) follows the same pattern. If non-player races are created, the spacemaster (or solo player) will play those races. This is a lot easier than it sounds because when you log in as different races you get their view of the universe, based on the information gathered from their sensors and explorations, which makes it very easy to play from their perspective. Using themes and your own imagaination, races will have different "personalities" that will change and develop as they react to events, which you can use to guide your actions.

Longer term, I will be adding more and more intelligence to non-player races so that you can devote less and less time to them, or eventually leave them to play themselves. However, the precursors from the earlier versions that return in v2.6 will be played entirely by a computer player. Unlike earlier versions, they use exactly the same rules as players and they use normal ships, not simplified versions. In v2.6, they can also survey and explore. I will be adding additional capabilities with each version until precursors become fully functional races, but that will take some time.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Strohm

• Leading Rate
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:40:23 AM »
OK thanks
and if non-player races aren't created am I all alone in the universe?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Strohm »
?We bring you greetings from the people of earth.?
?Sir, do you think they are evolved enough to have language??
?I don?t think they are evolved enough to have ears.?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
I do believe NPR's will be created, but they are created only to the point of name, pop and basic installations. Everything after that you need to take care of.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »
You can turn off NPR creation at the initial campaign creation screen by setting their chance to 0.  I do that in my furst run thgough since I'm more interested in trying out the first 3 "X"s.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ShadoCat »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »
When ruins are dropped on a planet, what are the chances it will belong to a previously discovered "Precursor" race?

In the Hathari game, I've encountered 1 extensive ruin (120 factories + 20 mines) and I just discovered an outpost sized ruin 4 jumps away belonging to the same race. One of the connecting systems had remnant Jump Gates also.

I can imagine the Admirality's reaction...