Author Topic: A few noobish questions: Asteroid mining, colonisation, training, Mass Drivers  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Tiax (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
Hi everyone,

I'm finally starting to get a hold on this marvellous game, but I still have some issues with the following:

1) How do you use asteroid mining ships? What are the necessary ship's component, and which orders am I supposed to give to the concerned task force?

2) How do you use Mass Drivers? I've installed automatic mines on mercury, but I still need to set up all this mass drivers stuff in order to transfer the mineral to Earth. 

3) How do you train your officers, administrators and scientists? I understand it has something to do with the research labs, but I'm still lost. 

4) How can I colonize Mars? I've designed and built the tutorial's colony ship, but which installations do I need to build and haul to Mars in order to get the process started (I'm not talking about terraforming, unless it's mandatory). 

5) How do I create a geo-team on an uncolonized planet?

Thanks a *lot* for your help!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:04:17 AM by Tiax »

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Asteroid Mining Ships need an asteroid mining module.
They will just dump the mined minerals onto the Rock they are mining from, unless you have cargoholds in which to load it.
I don't know if they'd prefer the cargoholds, though, I don't think so. Use massdrivers.

Mass Drivers are just put on a planet.
When one is in place, in the economics window there is a mining tab, you can set a massdriver destination there.
One is needed on the receiving end to catch those mineral packets.
ALWAYS make sure you have one, or you will bombard that planet with huge chunks of rock.

Officers of any kind are automatically created, if you need more, build more academies.
As for actual "Training", Scientists eventually grow better if they have a job to do, so if you have a spare lab and a spare scientist...
Same is probably true for Administrators;  Naval Officers and Ground Forces Officers train by doing something.
Combat is a good idea, but you can also create teams, like Spy, or Diplomacy, etc.... Those gain experience when they do something as well.

To colonize mars, you unload structures there.
I'd start with "Infrastructure", a cheap 'structure' that supports population, depending on the colony cost.
Then, you start shipping over colonists and other Installations, like mines or the like.

To create a Team, go to the planet in question, go to the teams Tab, I think it's also in the economics screen, then pick the kind of team you need, and a bunch of unoccupied officers that have skills in the matter.
In case of Geo Teams, let them train on unimportant sites, before you survey the more valueable targets.

Offline Tiax (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
Well, thanks a bunch for all the good info!

Offline Shoku

• Petty Officer
  • S
They show up as colonies if you have ever placed anything on them so for initial placement in the task group screen you've got to check the checkboxes to display asteroids or comets or whatnot.  Mining ships won't start mining a rock until it is a colony.

A geology team doesn't require any kind of setup to do their work on a rock.  (You could drop them off at some previously untouched rock and then ignore them until they died of old age. )

-

What makes a target valuable? Large size? Amount of minerals? Particular minerals? (I know Corundium(sp?) seems to be in short supply. )

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Also, any ship can move a team; there will be a Pickup Team order for any body that has a team.

You can also right click a body on the system map to create a colony. There is also a "add colony" button on the system info window and "create colony" button on the geo survey window.

(Diplomacy teams don't need to be assigned to gain experience.)

What make a body valuable? Size is definitely important; with larger bodies they're more likely to find minerals and less likely to declare the survey complete. But, for the same reasons, small bodies aren't very good for training the team up, since their bonuses won't increase until they find something. I consider bodies that I plan on colonizing or mining to be valuable.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:30:24 AM by Ziusudra »

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
-

What makes a target valuable? Large size? Amount of minerals? Particular minerals? (I know Corundium(sp?) seems to be in short supply. )

Size (terrestrial is best) and minerals allready there.
On a planet with no minerals after orbital geo-survey, chances are abysimal  for it to become a major mining site no matter how good your team is.
If, on the other hand, a planet allready has 8 different minerals at various accessabilities, you realy don´t want your team to tell you after one single find that there is no more to find but want your team to turn a silver-mine into a gold-mine, so to speak.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Corundium is important because its major use is the construction of more mines, so early mining efforts should go to Corundium heavy sites. In one game it took me 100 years but then I had 10000 automines I shipped around with massive cargo fleets with 10 000 000 tons cargo combined. 2000 mines tend to mine out most bodies rather quickly.

Valuable bodies are those with

- many different minerals (at least 3)
- large stockpiles of those minerals (at least 100 000 tons)
- good accessibility (at least 0.5)
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
In the early game Corundium is the most important resource (used for mines) followed by Mercassium (used for Research labs) since you are building a lot of both of those in the early game to the exclusion of much else, and your starting planet is guaranteed to have a decent amount of Duranium. As you progress Duranium and Sorium also become important as both your initial supply will start to drop, and as you start building and flying more ships you'll start to need a lot more Sorium.

The amount that you need the other materials varies on a case by case basis, as the different paths you decide to emphasize (missiles, terraformers, shields, lasers, etc) require different materials.