Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 254578 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #690 on: April 05, 2020, 11:32:07 AM »
As the aliens in my campaign are stubbornly refusing to attack each other :), mainly because Alpha Centauri has so many useful colony sites, I am going to temporarily comment out the piece of code that stops them claiming systems adjacent to a shared capital.

Just wanted to mention this here in case you wondered why the NPRs suddenly stopped obeying the rules

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, mpf0214, punchkid, BigBacon

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #691 on: April 05, 2020, 11:44:20 AM »
Maybe in the future, that should be a checkbox at game creation. Lots of people want to try multiple faction starts, they might want to be able to choose to have a "peaceful" campaign or not.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Luckymoose

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • L
« Reply #692 on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:57 AM »
Quote from: Bremen link=topic=10096. msg120434#msg120434 date=1586103719

A license is just a piece of paper.  Anyone that's going to try to steal it already doesn't care about what Steve says or they wouldn't be trying to steal it.

True, but it does prevent them from rehosting the source code on, for example, any git service for public participation.  This seems to be a major concern.  But for individual people tampering, there isn't really anything anyone could do about that.  The main thing is keeping the official release the only supported release, which licensing can assist in doing.  I don't think most people are bad actors on this, and those that are weren't going to listen to any dev regardless.

Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120436#msg120436 date=1586104141

See my FAQ post on the subject.

hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=10606. 0

Licencing might prevent 'commercial' theft, but that isn't really my concern.  Aurora isn't ideal territory for commercial theft anyway because it is such a niche game. 

I understand the concern and why it upsets you, but licensing is easy for you to implement and doesn't detract from your stated goals on protecting your code.  A license might only be a piece of paper, but it doesn't hurt to include it and explicitly define your intentions on keeping it closed source.   

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #693 on: April 05, 2020, 01:22:20 PM »
The main thing is keeping the official release the only supported release, which licensing can assist in doing.  I don't think most people are bad actors on this, and those that are weren't going to listen to any dev regardless.

No offense, but you're telling the developer he's incorrect about what the main thing about protecting his release is. The point of obfuscation is to keep them from reverse engineering it in the first place, since as already noted a license isn't going to stop them.

Offline Luckymoose

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • L
« Reply #694 on: April 05, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »
Quote from: Bremen link=topic=10096. msg120446#msg120446 date=1586110940
No offense, but you're telling the developer he's incorrect about what the main thing about protecting his release is.  The point of obfuscation is to keep them from reverse engineering it in the first place, since as already noted a license isn't going to stop them.

Obfuscation is still required, and I didn't say don't do that.  I'm saying there are additional measures that could be taken to mitigate any bad actors.  One option does not exclude another.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #695 on: April 05, 2020, 02:20:13 PM »
My understanding is that closed-source software such as Aurora, even when distributed for free, is governed by copyright rather than by licence. The copyright exists, whether I specify or not. For VB6, I do mention that copyright in one of the menu items and I will probably add something for C# Aurora on those lines. Licences are generally used to specify what people can do with software and are used to override the default situation of copyright.

Here is a good overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license

I may look into this in more detail at some point, but I think copyright is sufficient protection from a legal standpoint. 

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #696 on: April 05, 2020, 05:52:13 PM »
Neither of those will really stop people from actively pirating it if they want to.  I do think your original intention of obfuscation is probably going to be a more effective means of preventing that.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #697 on: April 05, 2020, 05:56:03 PM »
As the aliens in my campaign are stubbornly refusing to attack each other :), mainly because Alpha Centauri has so many useful colony sites, I am going to temporarily comment out the piece of code that stops them claiming systems adjacent to a shared capital.

Just wanted to mention this here in case you wondered why the NPRs suddenly stopped obeying the rules

And that did the trick :)

Note the three messages from the NPRs have different text, which represent different levels of demand. Also, sensors detected that a Jovian population was transferred to the Khanate. This will only be noted for populations that are current sensor contacts when the transfer happens.

The following users thanked this post: Protomolecule

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #698 on: April 05, 2020, 06:02:48 PM »
Neither of those will really stop people from actively pirating it if they want to.  I do think your original intention of obfuscation is probably going to be a more effective means of preventing that.

Yes, I agree. That is why I am going down that route. Theoretically I can sue someone on the basis of copyright, but that is not likely to happen in practical terms.

I seem to spend a lot of time with lawyers in my day job. For example, I had a conference call on Friday with lawyers from USA, Canada, UK and Malta to compare different implementations of similar legislation in different countries. Anything legal is usually complex, time-consuming and expensive. I want to restrict that to my job, not my hobby :)

The following users thanked this post: Bremen

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #699 on: April 05, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »
Another small step forward.

Given that NPRs accept/reject claims based on the populations they've detected this can have interesting consequences for diplomacy on the lower tech levels where sensors are more lacking. Violent confrontations over territorial disputes may be more common than at high tech levels.

I plan to add more detail to trade post-launch. For the meantime though, shipping line vessels will be ignored for the purposes of diplomacy once a trade treaty is in force. They won't count as an intrusion into alien territory and their tonnage will be ignored for relationship penalties.

Without a trade treaty, shipping line vessels are treated as any other unarmed, commercial vessel.

Will shipping line vessels avoid claimed systems from other empires automatically or do you have to forbid it manually?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #700 on: April 05, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »
Maybe in the future, that should be a checkbox at game creation. Lots of people want to try multiple faction starts, they might want to be able to choose to have a "peaceful" campaign or not.
Seams reasonable as a stopgap before more advanced behaviour is added, but prehaps at a certian point in a conflict NPRS would claim a system adjacent to another nations home system, and if they start in adjacent systems they start off with a truce on claims, which can then deteriorate over time.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #701 on: April 06, 2020, 04:10:52 AM »
Another small step forward.

Given that NPRs accept/reject claims based on the populations they've detected this can have interesting consequences for diplomacy on the lower tech levels where sensors are more lacking. Violent confrontations over territorial disputes may be more common than at high tech levels.

I plan to add more detail to trade post-launch. For the meantime though, shipping line vessels will be ignored for the purposes of diplomacy once a trade treaty is in force. They won't count as an intrusion into alien territory and their tonnage will be ignored for relationship penalties.

Without a trade treaty, shipping line vessels are treated as any other unarmed, commercial vessel.

Will shipping line vessels avoid claimed systems from other empires automatically or do you have to forbid it manually?

Claims are based on actual populations, not detected. There was a discussion about it, probably earlier in this thread.

NPR Shipping lines will avoid space they have flagged as alien-controlled. Alien-controlled is a system-level flag for NPRs, not per alien race in the system. This is to avoid situations where the NPR has a trade treaty with one race but is causing problems with a second race in the same system. Players can be more flexible in dealing with these situations. There is no 'alien-controlled' flag for players, but they can flag a system as controlled by a specific alien race or flag it as military-restricted.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #702 on: April 06, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
So today I finally started looking at obfuscation. It has not gone smoothly.

Running the obfuscation itself generates warnings, such as "Could not evaluate arguments used for call.  Manual property exclusions may be required."

So I manually removed the affected methods from the obfuscation only to find a new set with this same problem. Then my anti-virus quarantined the obfuscated file before the process completed :)

So, this may take a while. I'll keep everyone updated.

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #703 on: April 06, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »
I'm sorry, but I have to ask. Does looking at obfuscation mean that diplomacy testing is now complete, or are you simply taking a break from diplomacy testing?

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #704 on: April 06, 2020, 08:26:48 AM »
I'm sorry, but I have to ask. Does looking at obfuscation mean that diplomacy testing is now complete, or are you simply taking a break from diplomacy testing?

Taking a break - but Diplomacy is close to complete.

The following users thanked this post: MarcAFK, punchkid, Protomolecule