Author Topic: My First PDC (ages 3 and up)  (Read 2167 times)

Offline PTTG (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
My First PDC (ages 3 and up)
« on: November 18, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
So, let's say I want to build a very simple PDC to put in earth orbit, or maybe to station near my jump points just to provide more or less a security blanket.

What do I need to do that? In terms of missiles, energy weapons, ect. Is it better to have several very small bases, or a few large ones?

How practical are terraforming PDCs that will be pulled around by tugs? Better or worse than using haulers to start terraforming colonies?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: My First PDC (ages 3 and up)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
You won't be building a PDC if you want to put it in orbit or near a jump point. PDC's are ground based only. What you want is a base, which is simply a ship without engines(and remember to remove the fuel storage unless it is a fuel base).

Missiles tend to be a staple of bases(and PDC's) as you are not going to be able to chase after an enemy to get into beam range. Due to this you may want to design missiles with longer range than you use for your ships, or design a multi stage missile. As you don't have engines taking up space, you can afford to go with significantly larger sensors/fire controls.

Beam bases at jump points however can do very well as they can get there heavy damage strikes off before the enmey can see them due to the jump blindness. Point defence beam bases at colonies can be helpful as your ground based PDC's cant use most beam weaponry due to the atmosphere of the planet. Also remember that if you are mounting beam weapons on a base you will want to put them in turrets unless you feel that your racial tracking speed alone is sufficient.

Small and large bases each have their own benefits and drawbacks, particularly if you compare equal total tonnages. Small bases are far less likely to be taken out by a single lucky hit, particularly missile bases where you can suffer secondry explosions from your magazines. Small bases can be built earlier beofre you have had the chance to expand your shipyards to the size needed for large bases. They are also individually cheaper so you will get some protection out faster than the much longer time it will take before a large base is constructed.

On the other hand large bases have a lower percentage of the total tonnage being used for non weapon systems (crew quarters/damage control/armour/sensors/etc). Also shields tend to end up more effective on a single large base than an equal number of shield generators spread over a number of smaller bases. Similarly armour becomes more effective as it becomes less likely that a hit will strike at the same point as an earlier hit. If you utilize CIWS, that is limited to firing at missiles targeted at the base they are mounted on, so favour single large bases with many CIWS mounted rather than multiple small bases with only one each.

My personal playstyle is to use some small bases initially to get some basic protection then build larger bases as my shipyards become able to do so.

Using terraforming bases rather than ground based terraforming installations is cheaper per unit. One thing to note, each terraforming base will only get the bonus of the officer assigned to it, so it normally works out better to build a few bases with multiple modules, to take advantage of your officers with high bonuses, rather than a large number with only one each(assuming you have the shipyards to support larger bases of course). The terraforming bonus of the governor assigned to a colony only effects installations, not those in orbit, so if you have a couple of governors with very high terraforming bonuses, it may be worth building installations instead as they will all take advantage of his bonus.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:29:31 PM by metalax »

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
This is another area where modular designs can be useful, since they offer the possibility of combining civilian and military modules. Unfortunately, there are two factors which complicate the situation... certain key components such as large sensors and hangars cannot be placed on civilian designs, and maintenance can only be performed either in a hangar or at a system body, not in deep space.

... so when setting up a jump-point defense, I sometimes establish a maintenance depot at a nearby Oort object where I can overhaul the military modules of my jump point defense system. Small modules require fewer maintenance tenders, of course.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
to put it another way -

"PDCs" are a special design category that can only be built on and by colonies - either directly or through assembly. They get the benefits and negatives of atmospheres, don't need maintenance, can use special weapon mods and beam tracking gear. They also get some free layers of armor, reflecting being sited underground or otherwise defensibly.   You switch to PDC mode in the ship designer by clicking on the 'ship' dropdown up top and selecting PDC instead.

Bases are just immobile ships, and work exactly like ships in terms of maintenance, weapons etc.   The principle advantage of bases is being able to use beam weapons without penalty and being able to be towed to jump points. You can also put engines on bases if you want and have them move themselves around slowly.

I prefer to use PDCs for planets and slow cruisers for jump point defence. I also use those cruisers for jump point assault, heh.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
... so when setting up a jump-point defense, I sometimes establish a maintenance depot at a nearby Oort object where I can overhaul the military modules of my jump point defense system. Small modules require fewer maintenance tenders, of course.

Keep in mind that this can get trickier if you have Asteroid Orbits on, as the Asteroids that you would locate your maintenance bases on will move away from the Jump Point over time.

For the really far objects like those in the Oort cloud it wouldn't be a huge deal, but you would probably have to relocate your base every few years.

The principle advantage of bases is being able to use beam weapons without penalty

To flesh this out, Mesons are the only "beam" weapons that are not drastically weakened (or made totally ineffectual at 1 atm or greater) by atmosphere. Because of this if you want to defend your colonies with beam weapons you either have to use PDCs with Mesons, or Orbital Bases, which can use any beam weapon.

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »
-snip-

I believe you mean the Kuiper belt. I'm prettey sure that the Oort cloud is almost halfway to Alpha Centauri.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Not quite halfway, but it's interstellar space by most definitions.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
It's a quarter of the way to proxima centauri. And is also only theoretical.

Offline Rawb

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • R
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 04:20:27 AM »
I've never built a PDC before, If I were to build one should I just build a massive one and stack it full of missiles and mesons?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »
It is a matter of design philosophy.  I prefer to build medium sized specialized PDCs. You can build large multipurpose PDCs, medium multipurpose PDCs, small specialized PDCs, its all good. 

Offline Rawb

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • R
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
But I'd still just use missiles and mesons?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
Missiles and mesons are the only things that work for many colonized worlds. But worlds with thin atmospheres can still use other beam weapons.  Asteroids and other airless bodies suffer no beam penalties at all. 

Other commonly used PDCs have hangar bays, or maintenance modules, or are just pure active sensor platforms.

If you just want to use PDCs that work everywhere missiles and mesons are the way to go.  It doesnt take much tech to make a 5second recharge Meson gun and that's perfectly adequate for point blank PD.

Once I have long enough weapons range and fire control tech I plan to put particle beam PDCs on Luna. It's 385k km from the earth, so it is within reason. :)

Also, if i use active sensors from the moon, earth-based PDCs wont be as threatened.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:13:00 AM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:21:18 AM »
I'm trying modular ships via tractor beams, and my first PDC is a 100 hangar deck storage platform.  Should store 20 modules each, mainly so I can avoid the maintenance cost of leaving them in orbit.

PDC on Luna sounds ideal.  You can abuse any weapon type and be close enough to reasonably defend Earth with certain beams, and certainly strike at threats with missiles.