Author Topic: Log File Sifter  (Read 3086 times)

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Log File Sifter
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:36:25 PM »
Erik: I am not sure exactly what forum this should go into but if you feel you need to move it please do.

Log File Sifter: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/LogFileSifter.xlsm

Latest version v1.04

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I am one of the fiction writers in Aurora, and I am always struggling with historical data of my game, so I decided to use Aurora log files that it generates, combine and sift these into excel tables to help me analyse the data.

I decided to put it out there for anyone else that needs this sort of log file utility.

I am far from a gifted excel programmer or a programmer for that matter, I am open for anyone who wishes to improve the code or has some ideas about additional filters, or have found some bugs.

I would also later like to make some graphs out of the information, and some various other filters or data manipulation, but atleast at this point you can get a history of all your aurora events.

I am hoping Steve does not take offence at this utility if so please PM me and I will remove it from circulation.

Please note: I made the excel document in Excel 2010, it should work on 2007, I am unsure if it will work in Open Office.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:46:11 PM by ardem »

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Log File Sifter
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:11:30 PM »
A couple of changes and overwrote the link above.

Changes:

1/ The Date field is now a proper date column, the will be beneficial for sorting and in chart later.
2/ New Chart that displays ship building progress
3/ New Chart that show research breakdown

If there are any kind would who could test the excel spreadsheet and make sure the charts are displaying correctly with some feedback that would be great. i am using a large 27" inch screen so I want to make sure it displays right for others.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:54:19 AM »
I was playing around with this a bit. It doesn't seem to import the log files. Is there a special name format you are using?

I've got 1 logfile, named Human1.txt
Get an error stating "The command could not be completed by using the range specified." and it highlights a blank B column on the Raw worksheet.

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:48:31 AM »
I am using Steve default output in the c:\logs section, which seems to be Y1,txt (note the , instead of the fullstop)

I am unsure if this is just particular to my computer, but when I play a game and after so many messages under c:\logs it creates a Y1,txt file etc etc. These are the files I use, there is no modifications need to be done to the files themselves.

The import looks for Y$,txt  where $ is the log file number it will skip files that do not exist in your selection on the front page.

This is a screenshot of my c:\logs folder note there is only two files as I only just restarted my game in 5.42

The "Human" input on the front of the sheet is after the import to strip out all the alien races from the log files. If your race is other then human you need to change it here.

Thanks Eric for your help here,
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:53:32 AM by ardem »

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:09:47 AM »
Here are some screens of how things should look so I hope it helps pick up any mistakes

This is the front page, note the reset button deletes all the sheets and puts the file back to the original(nothing ever changes or deletes the original log files), also import and race must be run prior to everything else, none of the other buttons will work anyway. I have a few error traps already in place

This is how the race sheet should look after the race button is clicked all the other alien races are stripped out.

This is the Research sheet, with the chart built. Note: You need to build the research sheet before the chart

This is the ship sheet with the ship growth built

This is the Maintenance page with yearly failure rate
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:50:09 PM by ardem »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:05:45 AM »
Hmm. The only log files I've ever seen are generated from the Event Updates window with the "Text File" button. That gets output to the game install directory.

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:33:51 AM »
Well I have installed aurora on three different systems and each create a c:\logs folder, not sure if it is hidden on your computer as its not hidden for me. I be interested to know, if you can do a search on your computer for *,txt files.

My default install folder is c:\aurora, this is all very interesting I wonder if I am special <smile>

I will work on an additional input for those in game log file creations, problem with those files you got to remember to create them where the Y1,txt files are created automatically, when it needs too, atleast on my system. Is there any registry settings that Aurora makes that I may have you haven't.

Hmm perhaps steve can help here.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:07:23 AM by ardem »

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:15 AM »
Updated once again

Changes

-I have added an extra style of import, which is from the Text File save of the log files. This file usual is saved to your aurora game directory and given the name raceeventlog.txt e.g. Humaneventlog.txt

Note: This does not work combined with the Y1,txt style import because, the text file save is missing the race field.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:31:19 AM »
I am hoping Steve does not take offence at this utility if so please PM me and I will remove it from circulation.

No problem at all. It looks very useful!

Steve

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
Please note: I made the excel document in Excel 2010, it should work on 2007, I am unsure if it will work in Open Office.

Ardem,

I just tried it and Open Office is not compatible for some reason. :-[  Looks pretty awesome though  :)

Adam.

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »
Just downloaded Open Office, unfortunately I don't know it well enough to do a port at this stage, happy to work with anyone who does know open office macros, or perhaps, when I finished all the features for the excel version, I can try and dig my way through open office macros.

Other then myself has anyone got this excel file working as I am concerned, people do not have this y1,txt log files in the c:\logs folder, or it could be the folder called logs on the same level as your aurora game directory.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:15 PM »
Ok, I downloaded it and it works fine in Office 2007, after I figured out how to enable the macros.

I have a totally stock install of aurora on winxp and it does create a log folder and Yx files on c:\. Win 7 users won't have it there though, if they have it at all, because of the way 7 does drive security.

Thanks for making this!

--Mav

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
I am  a win 7 user and I have it, perhaps your right perhaps its also has to do with UAC (User Accounts Control) which I have turned off or always turn off.

Glad you got it working, I was starting to get worried I was slightly insane.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »
My install directory has the following subdirectories: Flags, Game Backups (created by me), Medals, Planetjpeg, Races, screenshots, Ships

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »
Hi Eric

The log folder for me had never installed in the game directory always in c:\logs I am not sure why. my game directory is c:\aurora and got all the folders you have mentioned, except for game backup ofcourse.