Author Topic: Civilian Transponders  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Civilian Transponders
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »
At the moment all civilian ships have a transponder that displays their position and it is always active. With the addition of NPRs this presents the player with a dilemma. NPR scouts and survey ships will spot those freighters, colony ships, etc. if they are in the same system and either attack or summon assistance. On the other hand, if civilian ships didn't have transponders, you would only be able to detect them when they were in sensor range and you wouldn't know if a thermal contact was a civilian ship or an alien invader. I am interested in opinions on how to handle this.

Do I:

1) Leave things as they are and accept that players will have to provide warships to protect civilian shipping against alien raiders.
2) Remove the transponders for civilians and let players start worrying about every thermal contact and presumably start building local patrol ships to check them out.
3) Give the player a general Empire wide command for civilians to start/stop using transponders (with a delay of perhaps 5 days to avoid this being switched on and off at will)
4) Add some type of intelligence to civilians to disengage transponders if an unknown contact is detected in the same system. If a transponder is off, a civilian would then check each new system it entered and if no contacts where known, it would switch the transponder back on.
5) Add a command for the player to tell all civilians not to use transponders in certain systems.

Any opinions or alternative suggestions welcome.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Civilian Transponders
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
At the moment all civilian ships have a transponder that displays their position and it is always active. With the addition of NPRs this presents the player with a dilemma. NPR scouts and survey ships will spot those freighters, colony ships, etc. if they are in the same system and either attack or summon assistance. On the other hand, if civilian ships didn't have transponders, you would only be able to detect them when they were in sensor range and you wouldn't know if a thermal contact was a civilian ship or an alien invader. I am interested in opinions on how to handle this.

Do I:

1) Leave things as they are and accept that players will have to provide warships to protect civilian shipping against alien raiders.
2) Remove the transponders for civilians and let players start worrying about every thermal contact and presumably start building local patrol ships to check them out.
3) Give the player a general Empire wide command for civilians to start/stop using transponders (with a delay of perhaps 5 days to avoid this being switched on and off at will)
4) Add some type of intelligence to civilians to disengage transponders if an unknown contact is detected in the same system. If a transponder is off, a civilian would then check each new system it entered and if no contacts where known, it would switch the transponder back on.
5) Add a command for the player to tell all civilians not to use transponders in certain systems.

Any opinions or alternative suggestions welcome.

Steve

My order of preference would be: 4, 5, 3, 1, 2

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »
That is an interesting delema.  I'd like to be able to flag specific systems indicating required transponder setting.  Preferably the civilians set transponders prior to transit.  Of course if the systems status is changed the civilian ships adjust accordingly.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »
I like 3.  Kinda simulating the Kingdom/Empire/Nation issuing a 'silent running' order in times of War.  Or 5 for specific instances of that order.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

ditto, with the addition that I think 4, 5, and 3 make sense together.  With 4, I assume transponders would shutdown for hostile contacts as well :-)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:55:47 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

ditto, with the addition that I think 4, 5, and 3 make sense together.  With 4, I assume transponders would shutdown for hostile contacts as well :-)
Same for me as well

Brian

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
Additionally, with option 4, I'd like to see the civs turn the transponders back on if conditions merit.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:41:30 AM »
I agree with 4,5,3 and I also agree that allowing for all options would be the ideal.  
As an alternative you could use modern military aircraft IFF as a model. Military IFF can be encrypted and only responds if interrogated by a signal with the appropriate crypto; this would, of course, be a big change.  Also details like maximum distance for interrogation etc would need to be determined.
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
I agree with 4,5,3 and I also agree that allowing for all options would be the ideal.  
As an alternative you could use modern military aircraft IFF as a model. Military IFF can be encrypted and only responds if interrogated by a signal with the appropriate crypto; this would, of course, be a big change.  Also details like maximum distance for interrogation etc would need to be determined.

That would be an idea for military/government ships. But what about civilian shipping? Those would tend to be not encrypted.

Maybe change the way IFF works. Have IFF respond to an active sensor ping. If the ship is pinged by an active sensor, the IFF flashes the identity instead of having an always on situation.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »

That would be an idea for military/government ships. But what about civilian shipping? Those would tend to be not encrypted.

Maybe change the way IFF works. Have IFF respond to an active sensor ping. If the ship is pinged by an active sensor, the IFF flashes the identity instead of having an always on situation.
True about the lack of encryption for civilian ships; however, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for them to have a lower level of encryption than the military grade.  The response to a sensor ping would be a more 'realistic' method.
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 04:03:56 PM »
One thing that would be interesting, is if you could set your IFF to a false reading. I.E. have that 9000 ton cruiser broadcast IFF as a freighter.

It'd be quite fun to suck a NPR into thinking he's going to hit a freighter when it's not. Of course, the reverse would be available to the NPRs also.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:31 AM »
One thing that would be interesting, is if you could set your IFF to a false reading. I.E. have that 9000 ton cruiser broadcast IFF as a freighter.

It'd be quite fun to suck a NPR into thinking he's going to hit a freighter when it's not. Of course, the reverse would be available to the NPRs also.
You can do that already. Check out the dropdown for the transponder on the Misc tab of the ship window.

Steve

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 04:12:11 PM »
Erik Luken wrote:
welchbloke wrote:
As an alternative you could use modern military aircraft IFF as a model. Military IFF can be encrypted and only responds if interrogated by a signal with the appropriate crypto; this would, of course, be a big change. Also details like maximum distance for interrogation etc would need to be determined.

I like this, but would also like to see welchbloke's idea of
Have IFF respond to an active sensor ping. If the ship is pinged by an active sensor, the IFF flashes the identity instead of having an always on situation.
This enables a defender to make sure the contact approaching him is not a colony ship but a hostile contact.

Under 4 would a civilian ship recognise another civilian ship as an unknown contact? If it would there would have to be some way of allowing all your Nation's civilian ships to recognise each others transponder signals.

Regards
Ian
IanD

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »

This would be my preference.  You can read a summary of modern IFF on the ever useful Wikipedia.:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identifica ... end_or_Foe

And by the time we can build ships such as those in Aurora, you can bet we'll have more more advanced and secure systems.  While one can postulate pretty much anything in a science fiction setting involving alien races etc., it is hard to envision that such a future system could be spoofed by an enemy (outside of bad fiction that is).

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 05:52:20 AM »
Quote from: "jfelten"

This would be my preference.  You can read a summary of modern IFF on the ever useful Wikipedia.:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identifica ... end_or_Foe

And by the time we can build ships such as those in Aurora, you can bet we'll have more more advanced and secure systems.  While one can postulate pretty much anything in a science fiction setting involving alien races etc., it is hard to envision that such a future system could be spoofed by an enemy (outside of bad fiction that is).

The issue would not be the technology, rather how 'realistic' you would want things to get.  The management of the encryption loads would be a real world problem in this scenario.  If every civilian ship had an encrypted IFF transponder all it would take is the loss of a single ship to enemy action to cause the change of crypto for every ship in the empire (unless you can confirm the ship was lost and the enemy definately did not get the crypto).  In this case the time delay for a large empire is significant and could lead to ships being misidentified as hostile.
Welchbloke