Poll

What would you do?

I <3 CFH's - I'd scrap my own FH's and just buy commercial fuel.
3 (9.4%)
I like CFH's - I'd buy from it on the side.
14 (43.8%)
Meh - Just ignore it.  It is income after all.
13 (40.6%)
This is what beamships are for.
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Commercial Fuel Harvester  (Read 2475 times)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Commercial Fuel Harvester
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
I have finally survived long enough for my shipping company to build a gas harvester (about 19 years), but in that time I have already deployed enough of my own FH's to fuel my meagre fleet.  It also doesn't hold enough fuel to fill my tanker, so any run would always be a partial load.

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
Re: Commercial Fuel Harvester
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:31:53 AM »
Well, i'm in the opposite case. My fleet of 30 harvesters pales in face of the 200+ civilian ones happily reducing Saturn to a soriumless husk.

My own production is usually far enough for basic operation, but the extra fuel from the civies is welcome in some cases. The extra income even more so.

Offline Saibot

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »
I just wish they could be automated to feed my colonies, the way civilian mines are.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »
I have finally survived long enough for my shipping company to build a gas harvester (about 19 years), but in that time I have already deployed enough of my own FH's to fuel my meagre fleet.  It also doesn't hold enough fuel to fill my tanker, so any run would always be a partial load.

So, give your tanker these orders:
Refuel from civ FH ship
Refuel from navy FH fleet
Unload 90% of fuel Earth
(repeat)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean, you can set up a task group to collect fuel from the civilian tanker then unload somewhere else, just put it on a loop and whatever the harvester manages to produce will be picked up.
Which is basically what i do with my own harvesters to, theres not much point putting engines on your harvesters and having them travel back to earth when full, instead make them 100% sorium collectors and tow them with a tug.  It's a little more micromanagement though I'll admit.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean, you can set up a task group to collect fuel from the civilian tanker then unload somewhere else, just put it on a loop and whatever the harvester manages to produce will be picked up.
Which is basically what i do with my own harvesters to, theres not much point putting engines on your harvesters and having them travel back to earth when full, instead make them 100% sorium collectors and tow them with a tug.  It's a little more micromanagement though I'll admit.
What I often find myself doing is putting a few engines on my harvesters, giving them a top speed of maybe 500km/s, and have them dump their fuel at a moon of the gas giant, so they'll be away from work for no more than a few minutes, and I don't have to deal with tugs to put them into place initially.

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »
What I often find myself doing is putting a few engines on my harvesters, giving them a top speed of maybe 500km/s, and have them dump their fuel at a moon of the gas giant, so they'll be away from work for no more than a few minutes, and I don't have to deal with tugs to put them into place initially.

Hrm.  I've never done that with a moon before.  It still means I have to take the time to go get the fuel from the moon, but it does have a good feel to it.

As for me, I usually make a fleet of huge harvesters and huger tanks with just one engine each (to be able to move just in case).

Once every 6 months or so, I have my main battle fleet (including tankers) dump 90% of fuel on Earth, refuel at the harvesters, then come back home.

As for civilian controlled fuel harvesters, I honestly didn't know that happened.  Interesting. 

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:15:13 PM »
Hrm.  I've never done that with a moon before.  It still means I have to take the time to go get the fuel from the moon, but it does have a good feel to it.
You can also turn the moon into a naval base for protecting the harvesters :D