Author Topic: Researching Components.  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Shininglight (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
Researching Components.
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »
So i was wondering about how everyone here goes about it, i tend to jsut instant the component info unless i feel like going for a more story style feel but it seems to me a bit like cheating. Actually researching the component is a bit of a hassle to rearrange my ques and I feel it ads needless confusion. Anyways I was wondering how others go about getting the parts that go into actually making their ships.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
Re: Researching Components.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »
Sometimes I'll instant the components in order to test them out, then delete them and research them the proper way.  I especially do this for missile engines, because I want to get them just right.  Otherwise I research my components normally.  It adds another level of challenge: at any given moment you have to decide whether to "commit" to a technology or to wait for "one more level...". If you commit too early, your designs will be inferior to your enemies', but if you keep researching for too long, you won't get anything into production in time.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:40:49 AM »
I do that too, I just shove "PROTOTYPE" into the component name before I instant it, so i know to delete it later.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:49:01 AM »
For very cheap components (5-10 days or less to research) I sometimes use instant "cheat". Especially if the base tech is much more expensive.

But for bigger projects things like main engines or carrier jump engines I would never consider it.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
The only time I use instant research is, when I designed and researched a component and made a stupid mistake, like forgetting to raise the power modifier for a missile engine or something similar. Aside from that, everything gets researched (I sometimes even use the component with the stupid mistake, rationalizing it as contractor/contract/specification misprint/error/fraud).

Ralph Hoenig, Germany