Author Topic: Question about geology teams.  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Mirodian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
Question about geology teams.
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »
I'm on my first play through and I can't seem to figure out what my geology team is doing, for the past 10 years they have been stationed on about 2 or 3 asteroids/moons, and haven't completed a survey on a single one of them, I'm not sure what the general timetables for teams are but surely they should have finished at least 1 survey by now.  If it helps, they have only been stationed on places marked as colonies.

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
Re: Question about geology teams.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:24:37 AM »
Did you complete a Geological survey with ship-based geo scanners first?

Offline Mirodian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:28:18 AM »
Yes, everything in the system was scanned by a ship.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:43:13 AM »
What is their total skill level?

Asteroids or moons generally take weeks to a few months to do a ground survey on.  If it has been 10 years, well I'm not sure what can be going wrong.  Have you checked to see if every week they aren't sending you a "We don't think there is more here to be found" message?

Offline Mirodian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:59:49 AM »
They aren't sending any such message, the summary for the asteroid still has a no on the geo team survey, and the teams collective skill rating is 133.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »
maybe somebody in the team died? (but I don't think so)

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
Just to close off all avenues here.  If you go to the asteroid's pages, is the team shown as being present on the Team Tab? 

A team with a skill of 133 should finish the ground survey in a time period between weeks and months dependent on the size of the asteroid.

Offline Mirodian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
The team has all 5 members and is physically present at the asteroid they should be on.   I tried disbanding and remaking the team, the new one has a skill of 149 and I made a second team of skill 99 and put them on a separate asteroid.   So far it's been 3 months and neither have completed a survey. 

On a seperate note, is there any way to manually retire ships in commercial lines?

Edit: it looks like I won't have time to figure out the problem in this game, I only just started exploring other systems and have no real military, and 5 alien ships just appeared 1 system from Earth, going far faster than any ship I have, and immediately opened fire.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:35:57 PM by Mirodian »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
Keep the faith for now, you might luck out with those aliens :)

Since surveys use dice rolls it's possible for surveys to take pretty long...do you have any other problems in the game, like inability to use the F9 screen?

Offline Mirodian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
I started a separate game to try and find the cause of the geology team problem, and I think I've found it.    They seem to work perfectly fine on bodies that I have installations on, but colonies without anything added to them take forever, with the exception of 2 moons where deposits were discovered BUT a survey was never fully completed.   

Also, I don't bother with hauling miners or modules around the solar system, I only use automated mines, if that helps in testing the above hypothesis. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:36:21 PM by Mirodian »

Offline PaxMondo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
...They seem to work perfectly fine on bodies that I have installations on, but colonies without anything added to them take forever, with the exception of 2 moons where deposits were discovered BUT a survey was never fully completed.   

I know I have had them work just fine with empty colonies as I decide final mining order after the surface eval is completed.

Offline ShadowLop

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:34:19 PM »
(6.3) My problem is that they finish but never seem to find anything.

After a few weeks to months, they finish the survey, get their xp and find precicely zip.

I've tried on planets, asteroids, chunks and comets.

I would think that since the roll is the same as in generation, comets should at least be very likely to get results.

Since you only get benefits if the new rolls are higher in some way than old ones, I've even tried stripping a comet clean before rolling and still get nothing.

Might tough it out and survey Sol to completion and see what I get out of it... TO SCIENCE!

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 09:51:58 AM »
They do find stuff, but it is rare.  Most minerals are found by orbital scans, not by the teams on the ground. 

Offline ShadowLop

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »
They do find stuff, but it is rare.  Most minerals are found by orbital scans, not by the teams on the ground.  

Luna, Orcus, Haumea, Schaumasse, Herchel-Rigollet, Encke, Crommelin, Neujmin and Reinmuth. Zero minerals found by geology teams. Still plucking away at other unsurveyed colonies. Add these to the list:

Wolf-Harrington
Swift-Tuttle
Tempel-Tuttle
Whipple
Ganymede
Herculina
1996 TL66
Wolf
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:01:55 PM by ShadowLop »

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 04:29:42 AM »
I only found 2 or 3 extra deposits, all of them fairly unimportant, in a total survey of Sol.