Author Topic: Glossary of Abbreviations?  (Read 42001 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Glossary of Abbreviations?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
Quote from: "Elmo"
Very nice work.

Can you add IFR and MSP to the glossary please?

MSP: Maintenance Supply Points. The number of supply units a ship carries for repairs.
IFR: ??

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »
Can you add HS please?

HS: Hull Space. The amount of space a particular hull has. This is the tonnage/50.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »
I think you mean the Minerals  sub tab in the System Map (which is F3).  I have looked there and on the Geological Survey Report but don't see any results for Luna or a lot of asteroids that we have explored since my last post.  I "assume" that means they don't contain any Trans-Newtonian minerals but I never did see any notice of success or failure from the surveys which is what has me a bit confused.

Edit - OK we did just get a successful survey on an asteroid so the others must have come up empty.  Perhaps there is a report somewhere that I'm overlooking.  Sorry for spamming the Glossary thread with this.  Please feel free to delete my posts here is you like.

SP does mean Survey Points.

Hit F9 and look on the front tab. Planetary bodies will have an M or S in the first column. The M signifies the presence of minerals (click the line to see what all is there), and S signifies a survey has been conducted, but no minerals are present.

Offline Elmo

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 03:10:44 PM »
Thanks Erik.

Also, I saw IFR somewhere but can't recall where now.  Being a private pilot it means I Follow Roads to me but assume it has some other meaning in the game.   :)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »
Thanks Erik.

Also, I saw IFR somewhere but can't recall where now.  Being a private pilot it means I Follow Roads to me but assume it has some other meaning in the game.   :)

It's on the ship displays, next to the annual failure rate. I think it means something like individual failure rate, but not certain at all.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »
I think you mean the Minerals  sub tab in the System Map (which is F3).  I have looked there and on the Geological Survey Report but don't see any results for Luna or a lot of asteroids that we have explored since my last post.  I "assume" that means they don't contain any Trans-Newtonian minerals but I never did see any notice of success or failure from the surveys which is what has me a bit confused.

Edit - OK we did just get a successful survey on an asteroid so the others must have come up empty.  Perhaps there is a report somewhere that I'm overlooking.  Sorry for spamming the Glossary thread with this.  Please feel free to delete my posts here is you like.

Look on the system screen (F9, or open the galaxy map F11 and double-click on the system you want).  Every body in the system will have a survey state; IIRC they are "-" for unsurveyed, "S" for surveyed and no minerals found, and "M" for surveyed and minerals found.

John

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
Got it.  Thanks guys.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »
Does SP = Survey Points?  Got my first Geo survey ship to Luna (one small step for Elmo)    :lol:    and it seems to be counting down SP's so I'm guessing that is what it means.

Edit - And sorry for asking this in the glossary thread but my ship completed it survey of Luna but I don't see any report specific to Luna.  Do moon resources get added into the planet totals?
SP is survey points and the number counting down is the survey points remaining. Not every planet has minerals. If there are any, you should see the report in the Events log (Ctrl-F3). No report = no minerals. You can check the minerals for the current system on the Minerals tab of the Sidebar in the System Map. Also try the Geographical Survey Report (using the icon on the System map) on which you can do searches for all of known space.

Steve

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
Thanks Erik.

I was thinking about the same lines since I don't recall seeing IFR in the program.  BTW, you really shouldn't rely on the iron compass when in the soup....

Though thinking about it, maybe there should be a VFR combat option.  "Hold fire until you can see the whites of their maneuvering thrusters!"  That would be a furball....

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
Thanks Erik.

I was thinking about the same lines since I don't recall seeing IFR in the program.  BTW, you really shouldn't rely on the iron compass when in the soup....

Though thinking about it, maybe there should be a VFR combat option.  "Hold fire until you can see the whites of their maneuvering thrusters!"  That would be a furball....
IFR is Incremental Failure Rate. It is on the maintenance line in the class/ship summary and is the chance of a system failure in any single 5-day increment

Steve

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
What is CIWS?  Thanks.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 09:09:32 PM »
What is CIWS?  Thanks.
It is Close in Weapon System.  
The way Steve has it set up it is a self contained point defense gauss cannon turret.  It mounts two gauss cannon with a 50% base to hit chance, beam fire control and an active sensor to detect missiles, and if you want eccm as well.  All of it is shrunk down to a system that is 6-8 hull size total.  It only defends the mounting ship against missiles however, it will not protect any other ships, nor can it be used against an enemy ship.  It is very handy for a backup point defense, especially on missile ships which don't have the tonnage for a regular point defense set up.  As a basic point defense setup would otherwise be at least 4hs for the fire control, .5hs for the active sensor, and between 3-6hs for the weapon in a turret.  Even on beam ships it is not a bad idea to put one or two on as they are totally self-contained and a lucky hit on your point defense fire control does not leave you defenceless against missile attacks

Brian

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 04:21:44 AM »
What is CIWS?  Thanks.
Close in Weapon System. Here is the thread that describes it:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1691

Steve

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 04:56:11 AM »
Thanks guys.

Edit - OK after reading about CIWS can you also include the following in the Glossary.  Some of these are pretty obvious but might be worth adding anyway.

GC = Gauss Canon ?
ROF - Rate of Fire
ECCM = Electronic Counter Counter Measures
PD = Point Defense ?
FC = Fire Control ?
RP = Resource Points ?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 05:04:17 AM »
Thanks guys.

Edit - OK after reading about CIWS can you also include the following in the Glossary.  Some of these are pretty obvious but might be worth adding anyway.

GC = Gauss Canon ?
ROF - Rate of Fire
ECCM = Electronic Counter Counter Measures
PD = Point Defense ?
FC = Fire Control ?
RP = Resource Points ?
Added all these. RP Is Research Points, unless you have seen it somewhere else in a context where that doesn't sound right

Steve