Author Topic: The Great Crusade - Discussion  (Read 9157 times)

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
Re: The Great Crusade - Discussion
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »
Not how it works. Any object with a fuel transfer system can only transfer away from itself. IIRC fuel depots can't actually empty ships, you need a fuel transfer system on the ship itself.

And likewise IIRC, ships can't be refueled by more than 1 other ship/facility at a time.

when the harvesting stations have a refuelling hub and are flagged as tanker it should be possible... with

"A new 'Transfer Fuel to Refuelling Hub' order has been added. Any class designated as a tanker can transfer fuel to any ship with a Refuelling Hub. The transfer is done at the refuelling rate of the tanker. If multiple tankers are in the fleet, they can transfer fuel simultaneously" they can also restock the "fuel depot" in the same time

The following users thanked this post: TCD

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
The tide locked changes sound interesting.  How exactly is that handled by the game, and how does land mass affect population capacity and such?

Is there a certain area of land usable at low colony cost within the tide locked zone and when you go above a certain population would you then need infrastructure?

Offline Sirce

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
Some information about population capacity on tide-locked planets:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg100078#msg100078

This is the C# Change list that Steve wrote.

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
Oh, neat.  I missed that.  It would be cool to eventually have the option to build "out" of the habitable zone at a colony cost corresponding to the temperature.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2019, 07:21:37 PM »
Athena-A II is the most habitable world discovered outside the Sol system, with a colony cost of 0.18. The planet is huge, with a diameter of 25,000 kilometres, double that of Terra, and gravity of 1.71G, just within human tolerance.

Squats! Squats!

Gotta play with that new genetic modification code and make Squats!

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2019, 07:36:14 PM »
Athena-A II is the most habitable world discovered outside the Sol system, with a colony cost of 0.18. The planet is huge, with a diameter of 25,000 kilometres, double that of Terra, and gravity of 1.71G, just within human tolerance.

Squats! Squats!

Gotta play with that new genetic modification code and make Squats!

Do you want Tyranids? Because this is how you get Tyranids.

(Actually it sounds like we will be getting Tyranids, so I say go for it  ;D )

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 10:35:22 AM »
After reading the AAR, I have 2 questions.

Will the main biome changes as terraforming progresses? Because if it starts tundra, it should switch to something else when made more habitable.

What are the limitations of construction factories regarding ship building. They seem to workaround the huge trouble, cost and time to retool slipways, so there must be something ?

subsidiary question: Why a single biome per planet? Big bodies should have severals, and they each can be a sub compartment of the planet. Imagine you land in the great plain of Erewhon, and then fight your way to conquer all the planet, down to the last place of resistance, the Deep Forest of Styrgia. That would be cool!
ps: anybody played Freedom in the Galaxy, a 1980' boardgame where planets had several environs to fight for or conduct missions (as the game featured an evil empire against rebels)

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2019, 10:58:54 AM »

What are the limitations of construction factories regarding ship building. They seem to workaround the huge trouble, cost and time to retool slipways, so there must be something ?

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg106780#msg106780

you can't build "ships" with factories, only space stations ... with the listed limitations...

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=C-Space_Stations

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2019, 11:02:52 AM »

Will the main biome changes as terraforming progresses? Because if it starts tundra, it should switch to something else when made more habitable.

subsidiary question: Why a single biome per planet? Big bodies should have severals, and they each can be a sub compartment of the planet. Imagine you land in the great plain of Erewhon, and then fight your way to conquer all the planet, down to the last place of resistance, the Deep Forest of Styrgia. That would be cool!
ps: anybody played Freedom in the Galaxy, a 1980' boardgame where planets had several environs to fight for or conduct missions (as the game featured an evil empire against rebels)

Yes, the biome will change as conditions change.

Factories can only build space stations, so no armour, weapons, engines, etc. allowed.

I don't want to get too complex with biomes until I have run a lot of ground combat.

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 11:38:29 AM »
This is only a minor update as I have been distracted lately by the BattleTech expansion and Battlefleet Gothic Armada II. Also, I am probably going to start a new campaign soon and go back to a multiple Sol start, perhaps with NPRs in Sol or with multiple player races and non-Sol NPRs. Having that multiple start adds to the immediate competition and will makes the AAR more interesting early on. I may also change some of the balancing factors such as chance of ruins and chance of ground survey. BTW maintenance facilities are a lot more important now and become a serious option when considering what to construct.

maybe it would make sense to start a small test-game with only let's say 20-30 systems but 2 NPR's - so that you can test the combat changes... a Sol-NPR would be nice but not sure if it would tamper with the build-up AI of the NPR..

also I am really looking for a test of ground combat  ;D

also question: would it be possible to set up a "hands down" game with only NPR's to test the AI for let's say 200 ingame years? Some long-term experience would be great... just to see if all your new ideas are working for the AI in the long run...

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2019, 03:39:11 AM »
You know if you restart a campaign, I think (and this is just my opinion) that a cross between NATO vs USSR and Solarian Empires would be a nice idea for a start. You have 2-3 player empires, so you can make at least some diplomacy and power blocks, and the NPRs across the solar system will provide the early game interest while keeping the micro of several nations to a reasonable level. Plus it would probably let you test out planetary invasions relatively early on if the NPRs are on the war mongering side.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2019, 04:10:22 AM »
You know if you restart a campaign, I think (and this is just my opinion) that a cross between NATO vs USSR and Solarian Empires would be a nice idea for a start. You have 2-3 player empires, so you can make at least some diplomacy and power blocks, and the NPRs across the solar system will provide the early game interest while keeping the micro of several nations to a reasonable level. Plus it would probably let you test out planetary invasions relatively early on if the NPRs are on the war mongering side.

Yes, I did consider just rerunning Solarian Empires. I'll probably go with a smaller version of Colonial Wars, except with Precursors and Swarm, and after a while turn on NPRs. I need to test ground combat and the new wealth rules and that will be easier with competing player races. I will run a campaign at some point with NPRs in Sol, but I don't want too many things at once to test. Precursors and Swarm will allow NPR fleet combat testing.

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2019, 04:58:20 AM »

Yes, I did consider just rerunning Solarian Empires. I'll probably go with a smaller version of Colonial Wars, except with Precursors and Swarm, and after a while turn on NPRs. I need to test ground combat and the new wealth rules and that will be easier with competing player races. I will run a campaign at some point with NPRs in Sol, but I don't want too many things at once to test. Precursors and Swarm will allow NPR fleet combat testing.

Ah, so interstellar diplomacy will be back, nice ! It's too bad we never saw if those Martian IPM (Inter-Planetary Missile) were actually viable in Colonial Wars.

And we'll get some sweet sweet ground combat on top. I can't wait !

In any case, good game and have fun !