Author Topic: Overhauling motherships  (Read 1204 times)

Offline RikerPicard (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
Overhauling motherships
« on: November 04, 2016, 09:41:36 AM »
Any weirdness/issues with doing overhaul of a loaded mothership? I know you can't Russian doll your carriers and fighters into PDCs, just want to be careful not to mess anything up.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Overhauling motherships
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »
Everything inside goes boom.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 12:26:43 PM »
Honestly. My carriers are all lightly armored hangar boxes that virtually never need to be updated. And are tugged around by a replacable engine section. 2 birds. 1 the enine can go in for an oberhaul without issue. 2 thats the most expensive bit, so i can abandon the hangar if needed.

Offline RikerPicard (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
Interesting idea, I just decided to make real carriers for RP purposes(hangar space, twin gauss for point defense, shields, double engines and extra fuel for parasites). First iteration had active sensors but I offloaded that to dedicated sensor ships and brought the weight of my second gen carriers down some. Current fleet=10 carriers with 3k hangar space(30 fighters, 15 FACs), 10 sensor ships, working on a missile destroyer design, will then add a flag ship once I've got better defensive tech(beefy defense, lowered signatures, spinal laser and laser turrets, single CIWS, probably troop capacity for marines and possibly some way of boarding with them, and enough engines to make it go fast, also maybe an escape pod/saucer section fighter/FAC stowed, flag bridge, engines, fuel and some armor to get my staff to nearest colony or flag vessel).

Also my question was about rewinding the clock, not refitting, and there were no issues, parasites didn't go poof.

Offline baconholic

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 03:57:50 PM »
Honestly. My carriers are all lightly armored hangar boxes that virtually never need to be updated. And are tugged around by a replacable engine section. 2 birds. 1 the enine can go in for an oberhaul without issue. 2 thats the most expensive bit, so i can abandon the hangar if needed.

One problem I've found with the tugged carrier route is that even though hangers aren't suppose to fail, they still suffer mechanical failures that will drop their speed to 1km/s. This will drop them out of the fleet. It gets really annoying when you have random ships that drop out during training missions.