Author Topic: Playing on Linux  (Read 11631 times)

Offline Icecoon (OP)

• Lieutenant
Playing on Linux
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
Hi there.

I got a new notebook after my old pc stopped to work. The problem is that my windows installation cd was damaged, so a friend of mine downloaded ubuntu for me. I installed it and everything works perfectly ... uh only windows games like aurora are not.
Is here a linux user who actually can run aurora through wine or play on linux. I know how to install other windows games with these applications, but Aurora is a bit different. Thanks.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Icecoon (OP)

• Lieutenant
Re: Playing on Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:49:18 AM »
Nothing so far? Well i might as well ask about Aurora in the wine forums. If i get some solution to my problem i will post it here.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline 3_14159

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • ?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:29:44 AM »
The only thing I've had aurora running under Linux with is a VirtualBox with a win OS. It's probably not what you need, but it allows one to at least do test ship designs or some such.

Offline Icecoon (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:05:01 AM »
Ok. Ill try virtual box later. I found a guide on wine for Aurora. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27303

I followed the guide and completed all steps successfully, but when i start Aurora it pops out a 429 error followed by cuntless 91s.

Code: [Select]
Error 429 was generated by Aurora
ActiveX component cant create object

and...

Code: [Select]
Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable with With block variable not set
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:09:04 AM by Icecoon »

Offline Karlito

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
Try the prepackaged release under Wine. It works for me.

Offline alpharius

• Leading Rate
  • a
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:03:33 AM »
Same problem here as for Icecoon: first getting 429 (ActiveX. . . ) and then endless 91 (Object variable. . . ) .

Using prepackaged 6. 30beta release in Fedora + wine.  I'll probably try virtualbox next. 

Offline Catty Nebulart

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »
it works with wine through there are some setup steps I used to have a prebuilt instalation ready to go, but the filelocker was taken offline and I never had time to rebuild it properly. search for some of the older running on linux threads on this forum.

Offline Icecoon (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 04:47:43 AM »
it works with wine through there are some setup steps I used to have a prebuilt instalation ready to go, but the filelocker was taken offline and I never had time to rebuild it properly. search for some of the older running on linux threads on this forum.

Well, I can't get it to work through wine, but I managed to get my old Win XP installation CD to work. I'm reluctant to give up Linux, so I'm running this successfully through Virtualbox with XP. Thanks anyway :)

Iranon

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 06:22:24 AM »
You're certainly not the only one who'd like to play it under Linux though... and I can't get it to work under WINE either.
I have Windows Server 2012 and Vista lying around, but neither is really a pleasant everyday OS... and some of the more powerful/scriptable  interface options available on Linux would make playing Aurora that much nicer.

Offline Icecoon (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 07:15:07 AM »
Right. There is a "remake" of Aurora, that is currently developed. It is called Pulsar 4x and it has linux support. I think it is still alpha though.

Offline DoktorV

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:12:18 PM »
I have a desktop and laptop, both running latest stable Kubuntu, and Aurora runs on the laptop but not the desktop. The weirdest part is, on the laptop, I just extracted version 6.3 under home/user/games/Aurora and run Aurora.exe with Wine and it works, but if I create a wineprefix and install vb6, etc. it doesn't.

Is there some way I can copy over the game and all environment elements it needs to other machines, or at least see what it is that is going differently on it?

Offline Banach

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
I was able to get it to boot it after some minor pains.   What ultimately solved the 429 and subsequent storm of 91s was:
1- Doing all of this:
Quote from: nafaho7 link=topic=3369. msg56314#msg56314 date=1351282411
[. . . ]
Assuming that you have compiled Wine and installed its dependencies, you should now perform the following steps, IN ORDER.
  • Create a fresh wineprefix.   I prefer to do this by removing the existing prefix in some fashion, such as renaming it, and then entering the commands "wineserver -k" and then "wineboot".
  • After generating a fresh wineprefix, use winetricks to install the following package: "vb6run"
  • Now, you must force Wine to acknowledge the existence of several dlls.   Specifically, you need to register "ole32. dll" and "oleaut32. dll", which are already present in your wineprefix by default.   My preferred method for doing this is to use the following commands: "regsvr32 ole32. dll" and "regsvr32 oleaut32. dll"
  • Install the program commonly known to Aurora users as the "Simple Shutdown Timer" in this wineprefix.
  • Using WINECFG, set overrides for the dlls "ole32. dll" and "oleaut32. dll" to "Native, then Builtin"
  • Install Aurora as per the standard instructions.
  • Run Aurora by running the file Aurora. exe
  • Rule the Galaxy!
[. . . ]
2- winetricks jet40
I hadn't had time to play it yet so I may stumble upon more bugs, but that is the minimum necessary to make it run here. 

The wrapper doesn't work here though, which is weird.   Maybe I need to install Python 3.  x on my wineprefix. 

Maybe we can get a Playonlinux script to automate all that stuff, eventually. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:04:48 PM by Banach »

Offline nafaho7

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
  Please remember that a given installation of WINE is not necessarily consistent across platforms, or even versions.  The provided instructions for installing WINE on most distributions are quite lacking.
  As I recall offhand, one must download the desired version directly from WineHQ by way of the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Source/
  You will need to scroll rather far down the page to find an appropriate .tar archive.  Find the version you want, download it, and unpack it using your favorite archive management software into the folder of your choice.  I would recommend unpacking the files directly into a new folder to prevent corruption and confusion.
  If one is feeling technicallly savvy, one can begin using Git to maintain an up to date installation of WINE by way of the following page:
http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine
  If it makes you feel any better, I do not use Git to maintain WINE.

If you get the source files for a particular version of WINE, you then need to open a terminal session, using your favorite shell program.  If you are using Ubuntu, or some variant, several of these come installed as standard features.
  In the terminal window, you will see a prompt.  You should be able to type commands, such as to change which directory the terminal is focusing on (this is known as the 'working directory').  The relevant command in many terminals for such is 'cd' without the quotation marks.
  Change directory to the specific folder where you unpacked the WINE files you downloaded.  You may now enter in the following commands, IN ORDER, EXACTLY AS WRITTEN HERE:
  • ./configure
  • make depend
  • make
  • sudo make install
 For those who are interested, the formal instructions for this portion can be found here: https://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/installing-wine-source
  A special note: The best way to see what packages WINE needs in order to function properly is to stop after entering in the command './configure'.  The terminal should end up providing a list of packages that various components of WINE are requesting that you do not already have.  Copy this list, and refer to your favorite package manager to download and install all of the relevant packages on your computer.  When you are ready to continue installing WINE, simply begin the list of commands from the top again.  Which means, enter the command './configure' again in the same directory, and resume with the others.
  An extra special note: On some Linux systems, such as Ubuntu, if you highlight text in some form, such as with your mouse, you can use the middle button to paste the highlighted text onto another document, such as a text editor.  This also works for copying text both into and out of a terminal, which would normally intercept the key strokes for copy and paste commands.
  One more note: The above process is called building WINE, and will take quite some time.  Make sure when you begin in earnest that you can afford to simply leave your computer running in a corner for several hours at a time as the various compilers do their magic for each step.
  One last note: For those who are not familiar with it, the sudo in the last line of code above is a particular command, declaring that the computer should use more authority than it is presently using.  The common term you will read for this is "Installing as Root."  As I understand it, the term sudo comes from the words Switch User, Do, which are two commands commonly found together in older Unix-like systems.  When you use the term sudo, you will most likely be prompted to enter your administrator passcode.  When installation and compilation are both finished, you will want to exit out of the administrator mode.  Frankly, I would also recommend simply restarting your machine, which is the cure to so many ills in installing and compiling code.  Coincidentally, restarting your machine will include switching back to the normal user mode.

Edit: I do not recall ever having to install anything called Jet40 to run Aurora.  I'm not even sure that Jet40 actually installs, even through winetricks.  You absolutely DO need to install the other DLLs, and register certain other DLLs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:19:38 AM by nafaho7 »