Author Topic: Survivors from lifepods of a friendly NPR - called POW's  (Read 1890 times)

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Survivors from lifepods of a friendly NPR - called POW's
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »
I am friendly with 2 NPR races and as trade is allowed they both visit the Sol system. However it appears that they are , or have become , hostile to one another because there has been fighting in my Home system Sol between their vessels. This has resulted in some wrecks and lifepods from one of the NPR races.

I am currently salvaging the vessels and have also sent vessels out to rescue survivors from the lifepods and return them to Earth.

These survivors from a friendly NPR are classed as POW's by the game system even though they are from a friendly race and interrogation has taken place although I do not know how to find any results from this interrogation.

My question is though , for Steve or others , is

A ) Am I able to return these survivors to their homeworld by any means , if so how ?. I should be able to earn "Brownie points" from the grateful NPR.

B) If i cannot return these friendly survivors what do I do with them?.

C) If there is at present no mechanism to differentiate friendly survivors humanitarily rescued from Hostile POW's captured and interrogated then perhaps this could be put forward as a suggestion for the future

DavidR

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:31:11 AM by davidr »

Offline Triato

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Re: Survivors from lifepods of a friendly NPR - called POW's
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »
Interrogations have a chance to give you intelligence on the rescued race and tech too. Every POW you rescue ads to the chance of getting new information. But it can also happen that no new information is extracted by the interrogations, especially if you have not interrogated to many POWs.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:40:04 AM »
Interrogations have a chance to give you intelligence on the rescued race and tech too. Every POW you rescue ads to the chance of getting new information. But it can also happen that no new information is extracted by the interrogations, especially if you have not interrogated to many POWs.

My (fairly old) recollection is that it's actually linear with a threshold (and possibly not even random).  For example, say the threshold is 1000pts.  The first set captives might give 300 pts (officers give more pts, IIRC), the next might give 270 (570 cumulative), and the third might give 500.  At that point you'd have 1070 pts total, so you'd get an intel reward and the points would go back down to 70.

Like I said, this is a fairly old memory, so I might be making it up or Steve might have changed it when he instituted PoWs.  If you can find his post introducing the PoW rules (probably somewhere in Mechanics, either in the change log or a separate thread) that might have a reference.

John

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:51:44 AM »
My point is that the survivors are NOT Pow's but are from a friendly NPR race and should be repatriated to one of their own colonies. There should be no need to treat them as POW's to be interrogated for information.

DavidR

Offline Triato

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
Yes, we were only trying to answer the question for which we have an answer (or I in any case), the one about the result of interrogations. In the case of returning rescued crew and them being called POWs, I´ve never heard a way to return them, presumably such feature has not been implemented, would be a good sugestion to make (improoving relations, etc).
On the subject if intelligence gathering is linear or probabilistic, I am not sure either, I have the impresion of rescuing hundreds of lifepods without gaining intelligence, but I really didn´t counted them preciselly and it was sometime ago and memory might fail me.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:33:16 AM »
...the survivors are NOT Pow's but are from a friendly NPR race and should be repatriated to one of their own colonies. There should be no need to treat them as POW's to be interrogated for information.

Yep.  My strong suspicion is that it's a bug.  You should log (post) it as such in the (semi-)official bugs or suggestions thread - take your pick.  The reason for this is that Steve uses those threads as a "filing cabinet" - if you make suggestions in a standalone thread (even if it's in the suggestions board) he's likely to forget about it after the first time he reads it as a "new" post.

John