Author Topic: Creation of New Species though Genetic Modification  (Read 7190 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Creation of New Species though Genetic Modification
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »
An eighth area of Research called Biology/Genetics is introduced in v5.1. I will expand this area in subsequent versions but for v5.1 I have added several research lines with regard to creating a genetic template for a new species derived from an existing one. The new lines of research include expanding the normal temperature range and moving the ideal point for gravity, temperature and oxygen level. For example, the following species is based on the default human species with a modification of +2 to temperature range, -15C to ideal temperature, -20% gravity and -10% to oxygen level. It would be more suited to a colder, lower gravity world than Earth, although this species could survive on Earth as it would remain within its environmental tolerances.

Homo Articus
Breathable Gas: Oxygen
Ideal Temperature: 7C    Temperature Range:  -17C to 31C
Ideal Oxygen Level: 0.18 atm    Oxygen Range (50%) :  0.09 atm to 0.27 atm
Ideal Gravity: 0.8G    Gravity Range (70%) :  0.24G to 1.36G
Development Cost for Project: 8000RP

A new installation, the Genetic Modification Centre (GMC), has been added as well. This installation will modify members of the original species to the new species, creating (or adding to) a new population of the modified species on the same planet. Colony ships can then transport colonists from this new population. As well as creation via the GMC, the new species will increase naturally through population growth. One GMC will cost 2400 BP and require 300 Duranium, 1200 Corbomite, 600 Boronide and 300 Mercassium. I haven't made my final decision yet on the conversion rate but I am working on 250,000 per GMC per year. So 20 GMC would convert five million population humans (Homo Sapien) per year to Homo Articus. Assuming you can find five million volunteers/dupes/convicts, etc :). Any species created in this way is flagged as a genetically modified species and cannot be used as a basis for further modification. You can also only convert non-modified species and you can only covert to another species if it is a derived version of the current species.

This provides an alternative to terraforming and adds some interesting fiction possibilities as humanity (or other species) diversify over time to meet the needs of different environments. At some point I intend to also add military-related genetic modifications that will affect the capabilities of ground troops. I am keeping the genetic changes simple at the moment but I will expand on them once the existing system is playtested.

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: Creation of New Species though Genetic Modification
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
;)
thank you, Steve.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »
Damn awesome idea.And am nevermind thoughest work r in coding..

Homus Articus..u have read some pournelle or Earth Empire (Sauron revolt in Falkenbergs Universe..CoDominium then later MOTIES encounters..:D..)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
Mesa and Manpower Inc here we come!   :twisted:

Yes, I read Baened books
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:03 AM »
Abusing the gravity characteristic to make asteroids habitable could make for a VERY interesting game. Especially if you RP any conflicts between Homo Terra and Homa Astra.

Offline sluissa

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
Quote from: "Aldaris"
Abusing the gravity characteristic to make asteroids habitable could make for a VERY interesting game. Especially if you RP any conflicts between Homo Terra and Homa Astra.

Are asteroids habitable at all, even with incredibly low gravity tolerances?

Offline Venec

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »
Finally I will be able to create a race of space ubermensch :P

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
Quote from: "sluissa"

As far as I know, no, they're not.

PS: Commission! :D

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:38:57 AM »
Thumbs up!  Though I'm not sure about Genetic Modification from a roleplaying perspective. :)

It does seem a lot faster than terraforming a planet, though.

How would you see the colony cost of a world from a sub-race's perspective?

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
:shock:
WOOHOO!
*breaks out in frenetic jubilation and slams into the closest wall*
I'm amazed! Now we just need a way to modify breathable gases ;)
thank you, Steve.
Yeah, being able to engineer people for chlorine resistance and the like would be nice additions to this.

Edit: Oh, and shouldn't you at least be able to modify subspecies back to the base species if it comes up? And is there a way to move installations and the like between populations on the same planet without needing cargo ships?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:50:30 AM »
Quote from: "sluissa"

No, I am going to cap the min gravity tolerances. If asteroids become habitable, all the body suitability checks in the code are going to kill performance.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:51:46 AM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Thumbs up!  Though I'm not sure about Genetic Modification from a roleplaying perspective. :)

It does seem a lot faster than terraforming a planet, though.
Faster than terraforming if you have the new species in place. The research costs for the various tech lines in Genetic modification are quite expensive.

Steve

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
Then again terraforming is actually very cheap.
In my current game I've had a five slipway commercial yard pump out terraformers constantly for over two decades. I have more than 60 ships overall. Terraforming is free once the modules are in place, and the fuel costs are neglicible. All you're saving with GM is a year or two in time.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
But you can't change the gravity, why ever that is.

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 08:37:13 AM »
Because even TN tech cannot create those amounts of mass out of thin air. Although I suppose one could add neutronium plating to the floor of a dome colony...