Author Topic: Local Gen chance and spread broken?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Spartanius (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
Local Gen chance and spread broken?
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »
Hey,
I have been experimenting for a couple weeks now(running 5.14) trying to figure out how to make a universe that would turn out like the one Rathos has in his game shown in this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=598&p=19598&hilit=+100%25+local+#p19598
I have tried many different settings from local gen chance 75% spread 10 to the setting Rathos used which is "local gen chance 100% spread 5". When I tried chance 75% spread 10 at least some of my systems fell within the spread, but when I go to 100% none of the systems fall within the spread, but rather they are worse than every other setting I have tried. Generally they are 50-100 system numbers different from the system they proceeded from, when according to the settings they should never be more than 5.

My settings
Max systems - 1000
Local system Gen. Chance - 100%
Local system Gen. Spread - 5

Screenshot of universe so far with these settings (note: I explored these systems using the spacemaster function, I assume it still generates systems based on the settings)

So is it broken or am I doing something wrong? It appears to me that settings under 100% at least partially work but that since January when Rathos was playing his campaign with these settings something has changed.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Local Gen chance and spread broken?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:54:51 PM »
You are using real stars, Therefore the other settings are irrelevant

Offline Spartanius (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:06:34 PM »
So local chance gen and spread are irrelevant if real stars is on? Wish this had been noted somewhere. So all I have to do is turn real stars off and voila?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »
Yes, basically.
It was suggested that when real stars is on, the other options would be greyed out, but that hasn't happened as of yet.
It's not really a priority.

I'd recommend going for no higher than 90%, just as it drastically reduces the change of gettign stuck.
And set the minimum number of jump points to atleast 5 in your starting system, that also helps, unless you want to play it risky.

Offline Spartanius (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »
Well now that I know the settings I set are actually working I will start playing around with other settings than 100%. On the other hand if I ever get stuck I could just use the SM function to force a new system.

Thanks guys, I just tested using SM to explore and now all systems are landing within the designated spread :)