Author Topic: Occupation Forces and other questions  (Read 2884 times)

Offline sonofliberty (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
Occupation Forces and other questions
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
I keep getting increased unrest due to insufficient occupation forces. How much is enough? I now have 3x the forces used to conquer the world. The population is 638 million. Does it matter if I assign the forces to the Human or seswanna areas of the planet?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:03:56 AM by sonofliberty »

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
Re: Occupation Forces?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
You need to assign the ground forces to the conquered race for them to have any effect.

Adam.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
Re: Occupation Forces?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
Ok, thanks.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
Re: Occupation Forces and other questions
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
At what temperature can I stop adding greenhouse gasses and start adding oxygen and nitrogen? Terra-forming Mars, temp -8 degrees C. Greenhouse gasses make up 94% of the atmosphere. Nitrogen 4.61%, CO2 1.98%, and total pressure = .01517

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
You need 0.1 pressure in Oxygen to breathe. And it must be no more than 30% of total pressure. So you need at least 0.2333 of another non toxic gas. Just add greenhouse has until the temperature is sufficient. Then add nitrogen until the 30% requirement is met.
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
Ok, when is the temperature sufficient?

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »
Have you read the part of the tutorial about terraforming?

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Terraforming

With default human race on the current version, to be an ideal world Mars needs approximately 0.1 atm oxygen, 0.168 atm greenhouse gas (carbon dioxide is ok) and 0.065 atm neutral gas (nitrogen is ok). Total atmospheric pressure is then about 0.333 atm, with surface temperature of 0°C (the minimum).
If you want a planet more similar to Earth, you can aim for 1 atm total pressure, 0.2 atm oxygen, with 22°C surface temperature. You'll need about 0.61 atm nitrogen and 0.19 atm carbon dioxide.

Edit: You can see the environmental tolerances of your race in the Races screen, accessed with ctrl+F2. Or in the System screen (F9) at top right.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:15:40 AM by Marthnn »

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
How do contracts with civilians work? I let out contracts for automated mines, but they never got filled.

What is the function of commercial space ports?

Is there anyway to control which colony the civilians take colonists to? I have one colony with over a million job openings, and another that has 1.4 million people with nothing to do.

What can I do with subjugated species? I have 126 million aliens with nothing to do. Can I safely use them as colonists? I would eventually like to integrate them into the Terran Empire.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »
How do contracts with civilians work? I let out contracts for automated mines, but they never got filled.

You need to set up a supply contract at a colony that posseses the items you want moved and a matching demand contract at the colony you want the items moved to. Civilian freighters will then consider the contracts when they decide what to move on their next trip. Note contracts will only move existing items, so an infrastructure contract will only move existing infrastructure not the infrastructure that is generated by trade.

What is the function of commercial space ports?

They reduce the time it takes to load/unload cargo/colonists/troops. One facility halves the time taken, two reduces it to a third, three to a quarter and so on.

Is there anyway to control which colony the civilians take colonists to? I have one colony with over a million job openings, and another that has 1.4 million people with nothing to do.

If a colony has at least 25 million inhabitants, you can alter it to be a source of colonists; stable, meaning no colonists arrive or leave, or a destination so colonists can be sent there. If it is under 25 million it will be automatically kept as a destination. If there are multiple viable destinations, there is no way as far as I know to force the civilian shipping lines to pick one over another.

edit: Note that a colony with insufficient infrastructure to support a shipful of additional colonists is not considered a viable target, so one way of possibly influencing it is to use your own freighters to move infrastructure around so only one colony has space. This will be difficult as civilian freighters will likely be continually dropping off civilian constructed infrastructure on the colony you are trying to avoid growing.

What can I do with subjugated species? I have 126 million aliens with nothing to do. Can I safely use them as colonists? I would eventually like to integrate them into the Terran Empire.

Yes, you can freely use them as colonists, though note that their colony costs will be based on their own species tollerances so the may want significantly different enviroments.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:22:20 PM by metalax »

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 03:29:39 PM »
Thanks for the great information. Unfortunately, both Mars and Procyon III are "Ideal Worlds". Mars has a big deficit of colonists and Procyon has a total of 127 million(including aliens) with nothing to do.

Good to know about the spaceports. I will build one for each colony. Are they towable with tugs or disassembled and moved with cargo ships?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
Spaceports are planet-side installations, that I believe are one of the few installations that cannot be moved via freighter and need to be constructed in place.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »
Thanks for telling me that before I started building them. I am building and shipping factories to my three primary colonies, but it will be a long time before they can be built on site. Mars has 123 construction factories being used to build more factories. Procyon and Alpha Centauri each have maybe 10 factories, being used to build more factories.  ;D

Everything else I build on Earth and ship to the colonies.

Is there someway I can conjoin the Earth and Alien colonies on Procyon into one colony?

Offline Steven Kodaly

• Leading Rate
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »
Quote from: sonofliberty link=topic=4806. msg48722#msg48722 date=1334264187
Is there someway I can conjoin the Earth and Alien colonies on Procyon into one colony?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to merge populations in Aurora.
Charming, to the last.

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
Even if there was a way to merge colonies, they would need to be of the same species. Otherwise, it would be ridiculous to calculate the colony cost.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
If they are both on terra-formed worlds with a zero cost, why do you need 2 separate colonies?