Author Topic: Wreck of Unknown Class  (Read 1996 times)

Offline MagusXIX (OP)

• Lieutenant
Wreck of Unknown Class
« on: February 11, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
So in my previous game (the one I for which I had begun to write up an AAR) I ended up having to stop playing and delete the game because NPRs began making my computer crawl.  45 minutes to over an hour for calculating an un-interrupted 5 day turn is just insane.  Anyway, I started a new game ... and this time I made sure to disable all NPRs ... 0% NPR generation chance, no starting NPRs, all spoilers disabled ... the intention here is that I would be playing my own aliens.  I've got a 3 faction start, each in their own system an unknown number of jumps away from the others.

And yet ... lo and behold ... one of my races has just run into three unknown wrecks.  Now, unless I've missed something there should be no alien races whatsoever other than the ones that I myself am controlling.  Are there super-top-secret spoiler races that are even hidden from your game generation?  Or is something broken?  If there are NPRs about, they seem to be being much nicer to my processing power than in my previous game ... but there shouldn't be any.  Where did these wrecks come from?

I'll update this thread if I actually figure that out on my own, but the question stands.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Wreck of Unknown Class
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:10:54 PM »
As near as I can tell those are randomly created at startup in some systems. just consider them a (minor) bonus if spoilers are off. Of course if spoilers are on you have to treat them all as serious threats.

Offline MagusXIX (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »
Do you know if that includes ruins as well?  Because, while those things are awesome in their own right, it would also be cool to be able to generate a "virgin" solar system that hasn't been touched by other life forms yet.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
ruins start off as unknown race or similiar - u create a xenobiology team - drop em off wait for em to discover race , Tech Level and installations.  Then u drop off a construction brigade and some combat troops ( discover what items are and defeat any suprise robotic defenders)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:26 AM »
If I recall the wrecks and ruins are a separate component to the universe generation than NPR and spoiler races.

If you want a truly virgin universe you can always generate a fresh system with each new JP you find and link them together.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »
its always fun to find those wrecks and ruins and also brings its own benefits

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
iirc if you create a race theyr homesytem will be ruinfree if you dont plant one yourself.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
iirc if you create a race theyr homesytem will be ruinfree if you dont plant one yourself.

yup my experience i find ruins in empty systems