Author Topic: Magenta ring on a system with a full grav survey / no unexplored points  (Read 1816 times)

Offline scvn2812 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
In my campaign I have noticed on the galactic map that systems that appear to have no unexplored jump points and no unsurveyed survey points still have a magenta ring indicating unexplored points but no red ring indicating an unfinished survey.  Is this a glitch or my surveyors trying to tell me they think there are points they didn't find even though they are supposedly finished surveying? If its the latter, what is to be done about it?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
In my campaign I have noticed on the galactic map that systems that appear to have no unexplored jump points and no unsurveyed survey points still have a magenta ring indicating unexplored points but no red ring indicating an unfinished survey.  Is this a glitch or my surveyors trying to tell me they think there are points they didn't find even though they are supposedly finished surveying? If its the latter, what is to be done about it?

I believe that is a suspected dormant jump point.

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
If it is a suspected dormant jump point, there is an SM button somewhere that allows you to resurvey the system.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Basically, you change the system to not knowing it has been surveyed already. But AFAIK, dormant JPs need to "opened" from the other side first.

Offline scvn2812 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=4177. msg40983#msg40983 date=1318137044
Basically, you change the system to not knowing it has been surveyed already.  But AFAIK, dormant JPs need to "opened" from the other side first.

So for RP / fair play / more suspense it is better to push forward and continue exploring in the hopes of locating the openings in other systems?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
What is happening is when a jump point is explored there is a random chance of it going to any system.  If it is a system that has already been created, surveyed and all existing jump points already lead to another system then the program will create a new jump point.  It is perfectly legitimate tactic to resurvey a system if you think a new jump point has been created, especially if you find enemy ships in the system and they didn't come through a known jump point.  Mostly what is happening is an artifact of the way the program works.

Brian

Offline scvn2812 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
What is happening is when a jump point is explored there is a random chance of it going to any system.  If it is a system that has already been created, surveyed and all existing jump points already lead to another system then the program will create a new jump point.  It is perfectly legitimate tactic to resurvey a system if you think a new jump point has been created, especially if you find enemy ships in the system and they didn't come through a known jump point.  Mostly what is happening is an artifact of the way the program works.

Brian

So just make up an excuse for immersion's sake and order the resurvey. Will do. There's quite a few on my map, a few in...uncomfortable..positions should they be found by a hostile. My Sol led to two cul de sacs and one nexus system and I think one of the cul de sacs and Proxima, the nexus, have the magenta ring. Proxima already has 6 iirc points, that could make her an even busier system.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
If I remember correctly, 'suspected dormant jump point in system' is set manually by the player, not by the software - on the F3 (System Map) screen.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Okay, I just loaded up the galactic map, and nothing spawned a magenta ring. The only thing that comes close is Show Sectors (Color), with the color being magenta. That puts a thick ring around each system, as seen in the pic.

Offline scvn2812 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
After fiddling some, I discovered that what I thought you thought was magenta is really pink and designates controlled but unpopulated systems. Pink doesn't appear in the key so I got confused. According to my map now, I have no suspected dormant JPs, only known JPs I have not explored yet. My bad.