Author Topic: Box Launchers and Fighter Pods  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Agraelgrimm (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
Box Launchers and Fighter Pods
« on: July 09, 2020, 07:44:32 PM »
So, i'm quite confused about how all of this works in this version. Ship controls seems to be somewhat shallow, at least as of now, way less options than we had on V6, and as such, i don't know how exactly box launchers are working. Does a size 8 box launcher hold 2 type 4 missiles and etc or not? As far as i could see, we cannot load the launchers with the missiles directly, as we did on V6, they push directly from the magazine.
And i have *no idea* how fighter pods works, and yea, no amount of literature so far as cleared this. I don't see autocannon or bombardment or whatever option on Fighter pods, just fighter pods to research. It also gives me no idea of what to expect from different sizes and how does that even works. I'm totally on the blind here so far and i would really appreciate an explanation on the matter.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Box Launchers and Fighter Pods
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:12:17 PM »
So, i'm quite confused about how all of this works in this version. Ship controls seems to be somewhat shallow, at least as of now, way less options than we had on V6, and as such, i don't know how exactly box launchers are working. Does a size 8 box launcher hold 2 type 4 missiles and etc or not? As far as i could see, we cannot load the launchers with the missiles directly, as we did on V6, they push directly from the magazine.
And i have *no idea* how fighter pods works, and yea, no amount of literature so far as cleared this. I don't see autocannon or bombardment or whatever option on Fighter pods, just fighter pods to research. It also gives me no idea of what to expect from different sizes and how does that even works. I'm totally on the blind here so far and i would really appreciate an explanation on the matter.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Missile launchers work the same as they did on Aurora VB6. Box launchers can only be reloaded in a military hangar or at an ordnance station. You needed a maintenance facility in VB6 but need an ordnance station now.

You can only ever fit ONE missile in a launcher no matter how big they are. But you can build missiles that have multiple missiles in them, but that is a different thing.

You can use box launchers as a less efficient fighter pod if you want to.

You need to design the weapon for a fighter pod using the missile design screen that you then put into the fighter pod. Just make sure the pod is the same size as the weapon you want to put into it. The weapon work much like a missile system. Ground fighters need engines to dodge enemy AA and they need a small missile fire-control to fire their weapon so just use the smallest one you can make, I usually make a 0.1 resolution 1 fire-control.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Agraelgrimm (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:36:09 PM »

You need to design the weapon for a fighter pod using the missile design screen that you then put into the fighter pod. Just make sure the pod is the same size as the weapon you want to put into it. The weapon work much like a missile system. Ground fighters need engines to dodge enemy AA and they need a small missile fire-control to fire their weapon so just use the smallest one you can make, I usually make a 0.1 resolution 1 fire-control.

And how does autocannons work? And i suppose that i would only be able to fit one missile in the pod and box launcher too, right?
(And a little off topic, but that the hell does that OP close to my name means?)

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:39:47 PM »
OP means original poster.

Autocannon pods can be mounted to a fighter pod ship component or to a box launcher, just like all other forms of fighter pod weapons.

Think of the ship component fighter pod as a hardpoint and the autocannon pod as the thing mounted to the hardpoint. You can also use box launchers as the hardpoint, but a size 1 box launcher is bigger (I think) than a dedicated size 1 fighter pod mount. The tradeoff is that a box launcher can also mount missiles.

Offline Agraelgrimm (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 09:00:29 PM »
Right, but how do i make the autocannons? So far i havent seen any options to do that. Like at all.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 09:10:50 PM »
Right, but how do i make the autocannons? So far i havent seen any options to do that. Like at all.

Autocannon pods can be designed in the missile designer, just check the appropriate box. The research project screen allows you to design a fighter pod bay so house such a autocannon pod (or other types that can fit in its size).

In order to actually construct and use the pods you build them through ordnance factories (how you'd make missiles). Note that unlike normal missiles, ground support pods once mounted on a fighter are not actually consumed in combat, so if you want to make a dedicated carrier for only ground support fighters, a magazine is not necessary for the fighters themselves.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
In order to actually construct and use the pods you build them through ordnance factories (how you'd make missiles). Note that unlike normal missiles, ground support pods once mounted on a fighter are not actually consumed in combat, so if you want to make a dedicated carrier for only ground support fighters, a magazine is not necessary for the fighters themselves.

You can however change the weapons in the pods from say Air-to-Air from Air-to-Ground weapons on the fighters, so some magazines can still be quite useful even for dedicated Assault Carrier type ships.

Most if my Air-to-Air fighters generally use smaller pods but can also fit smaller auto-cannons that are reasonably good against infantry when there are no enemy fighters to engage.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, DavidFRS