Author Topic: Start as wandering Empire?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline VariousArtist (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
Start as wandering Empire?
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
Hello

Im still not sure what the space master mode is capable to do and what can be edited and what cant.
While trying to get the hang on the mechanics my boiled brain came up with the idea if it might be possible to start as a wandering Empire. The background could be the remains of a conquered empire, a large group of insurgents that left their empire or a group of criminals/pirates.

Of course that will be a neat drawback against NPRs, so maybe a few other fixes are needed like making contacts easier and a higher tech portfolio. Something that lessens the gap from the lack of construction/mining installations at start.

Is it possible to set up such a starting scenario with Aurora?

thx

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Start as wandering Empire?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:20:01 AM »
Quote from: "VariousArtist"
Hello

Im still not sure what the space master mode is capable to do and what can be edited and what cant.
While trying to get the hang on the mechanics my boiled brain came up with the idea if it might be possible to start as a wandering Empire. The background could be the remains of a conquered empire, a large group of insurgents that left their empire or a group of criminals/pirates.

Of course that will be a neat drawback against NPRs, so maybe a few other fixes are needed like making contacts easier and a higher tech portfolio. Something that lessens the gap from the lack of construction/mining installations at start.

If you mean a Battlestar Galactica type scenario then yes it is very possible. The easiest thing would be to generate a game normally, so you can create a species based on your homeworld tolerances, then when you are finished creating the 'rag tag fleet', just delete the starting population. There are several types of ships you will need to include within your fleet, such as colony ships, freighters, fuel harvesters, asteroid mining ships, survey ships, tankers, colliers, ships with maintenance modules (so can establish a temporary maintenance facility) and perhaps even tugs towing shipyards, plus Warships obviously. It might be worth including freighters carrying fighter and ordnance factories so you can setup a temporary colony when you need to manufacture new ordnance.

Steve

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:07:32 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "VariousArtist"
Hello

If you mean a Battlestar Galactica type scenario then yes it is very possible. The easiest thing would be to generate a game normally, so you can create a species based on your homeworld tolerances, then when you are finished creating the 'rag tag fleet', just delete the starting population. There are several types of ships you will need to include within your fleet, such as colony ships, freighters, fuel harvesters, asteroid mining ships, survey ships, tankers, colliers, ships with maintenance modules (so can establish a temporary maintenance facility) and perhaps even tugs towing shipyards, plus Warships obviously. It might be worth including freighters carrying fighter and ordnance factories so you can setup a temporary colony when you need to manufacture new ordnance.

Steve

All that is really missing for a J'rill race is a means for factories and shipyards to function without a planet/moon based colony.  Not that I really want one, the Star Swarm is nasty enough.  :lol:
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »
I don't know, I think installations would need something more permeant, like a space station. Or, for stupidly advance races, city ships. The most prominent in pop culture now would probably be Stargate Atlantis, though not a direct close of such facility just the idea of a moving space colony thang. (Along with all sorts of other mega construction projects!)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:23:23 AM »
May I suggest

James Blish: Cities in Flight
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
Quote from: "mrwigggles"
I don't know, I think installations would need something more permeant, like a space station. Or, for stupidly advance races, city ships. The most prominent in pop culture now would probably be Stargate Atlantis, though not a direct close of such facility just the idea of a moving space colony thang. (Along with all sorts of other mega construction projects!)

We've been having a discussion with Steve about allowing space colonies.  :)

I think that space colonies are on his "round tuit" list.    

A space colony ship doesn't have to be very high tech, just big (think cylinder with a radius of 1-2km).  Technically, we can build them now but they would have the structural integrity of an empty soda can.  Duranium would make a colony that you cold put engines on.  I can't imagine trying to get it through a WP without a jump gate except at very high tech levels.

I'd love to run a space based empire from an RP standpoint.

"Rain: A highly corrosive substance that just falls out of the sky and gets into *everything*." - Garibaldi, B5

[on a planet] "Every time I look at the sky, I can't help thinking: what if it leaks." - I can't remember the source, maybe me