Author Topic: v2.5.1 Bugs Thread  (Read 10560 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
v2.5.1 Bugs Thread
« on: January 25, 2024, 09:03:58 AM »
Please post potential bugs in this thread for v2.5.1

First, please check the Known Issues post before posting so see if the problem has already been identified or is working as intended.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10637.0

'Me too' posts for unresolved bugs are fine as it shows they are affecting more than one person. Any extra information you can provide in 'me too' posts is very welcome.

Please do not post bugs from previous versions unless you confirm they are still present in v2.5.1

When you post, please post as much information as possible, including:
The function number
The complete error text
The window affected
What you were doing at the time
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
Re: v2.5.1 Bugs Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 09:30:43 AM »
The "Centre on selected body" option does not work in the mineral window when you have the wide view option selected.

SJW: Fixed for v2.6
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:13:57 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 12:59:43 PM »
I designed and researched my first anti ship missile, but then the missile isn't appearing anywhere (except the research tab in completed projects) as if I never researched it.

I am running a 23 years conventional start campaign with 2.5.1 applied to 2.5.0.

Real star

Steps:
Designed an ASM in the dedicated window
Completed the research
Missile is not appearing in the ordnance production view, technology window or missile window, only in the research tab under completed projects.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 06:52:00 PM by Kaiser »

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 08:13:45 PM »
I have an asteroid that generated with exactly 1 ton of Neutronium, and absolutely nothing else. That's weird, but not a bug.

The bug is that on the System Generation and Display screen - and only that screen, as far as I can tell - the minerals are listed as "Neutronium    01    1.00" - it correctly shows as 1 ton in the Minerals screen and the Mining tab.

This is a 2.5.0 game that's been upgraded 2.5.1, and I unfortunately don't remember if this system generated under 2.5.0 or 2.5.1.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 10:19:54 PM »
I have an asteroid that generated with exactly 1 ton of Neutronium, and absolutely nothing else. That's weird, but not a bug.

The bug is that on the System Generation and Display screen - and only that screen, as far as I can tell - the minerals are listed as "Neutronium    01    1.00" - it correctly shows as 1 ton in the Minerals screen and the Mining tab.

This is a 2.5.0 game that's been upgraded 2.5.1, and I unfortunately don't remember if this system generated under 2.5.0 or 2.5.1.

What is the bug? It is showing you that the asteroid has 1 ton of neutronium at 1.00 accessibility, that seems correct to me...

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 10:57:39 PM »
What is the bug? It is showing you that the asteroid has 1 ton of neutronium at 1.00 accessibility, that seems correct to me...
It's showing that the asteroid has "01" tons of minerals on it. It's just a minor display bug - everywhere else displays "1".

Edit: Something else which is probably not a bug, just a strange generation - I've got an asteroid that's large enough that it can be colonized with regular infrastructure and hold an atmosphere. I would have thought that anything that large would classify as a dwarf planet or similar.

SJW: WAI. Asteroids can very occasionally be above 0.1G.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:50:38 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 11:42:00 PM »
It's showing that the asteroid has "01" tons of minerals on it. It's just a minor display bug - everywhere else displays "1".

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug, that field is just configured to display at least two digits for some reason.

Edit: Something else which is probably not a bug, just a strange generation - I've got an asteroid that's large enough that it can be colonized with regular infrastructure and hold an atmosphere. I would have thought that anything that large would classify as a dwarf planet or similar.

It happens every so often. I think Steve used one of these as a fleet base in his pre-release WH40K Crusade AAR. Apparently, the classification has more to do with shape than size (although you expect the two to be generally correlated there seems to be a grey zone).

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 03:38:04 AM »
After destruction of enemy ship, you can land your fighters with "active" fire control (no target).
If fighters are in carrier hangar, you won't get a message of 5s incements.
But when you scrap the carrier it will pop up and bring your game almost to a stop :)

SJW: WAI. Fighters in hangars cannot fire so they aren't checked,
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:51:32 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Falryx

• Gold Supporter
  • Leading Rate
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 03:42:21 PM »
I have run into a similar issue as this one reported in 2. 2. 1

Quote from: Desdinova link=topic=13343. msg166333#msg166333 date=1701196584
My current game seems to be stuck with an endless loop of:

Function #1954: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Function #1943
Function #478

I managed to save the db, advancing time in two 5 day increments should replicate the issue.  Unfortunately it seems as if the save has been rendered unplayable.

Started on v2.  5.  0 - upgraded to v.  2.  5.  1 this morning.    I did manage to get a save, any advancement will identify it.    It looks like I go through the #1953 - > #1943 - > #478 cycle 27 times per increment. 

DB attached in case it's helpful. 

SJW: Fixed for v2.6. Caused by an Alien Race without a class naming theme. DB was helpful, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:44:26 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 05:40:46 PM »
The function number : 2929
The complete error text : Reference to an object not set to on an object's instance
The window affected : main window
What you were doing at the time : Ordered a tug to tractor a shipyard from Earth to Mars, pressed 1day increment and got the error.
Conventional or TN start : Conventional
Random or Real Stars real
Is your decimal separator a comma?
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well 26y

EDIT: I figured out what causes the error, the shipyard was busy constructing 3 ships when I started to tug it (and in fact the error appears 3 times in a row) but the funny thing is that the ships are still under construction and the % of completition is advancing, I guess it shouldn't work like that and if you move a Shipyard while busy, the ships construction should be deleted or at least stopped and continue when the yard arrives at destination, am I right?

SJW: Changed the move order so you can only tractor inactive shipyards.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:51:03 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Napier

• Leading Rate
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2024, 01:53:34 AM »
The function number - none
The complete error text - none
The window affected - main window
What you were doing at the time - see below
Conventional or TN start - Conventional
Random or Real Stars - real
Is your decimal separator a comma? - no
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? - reproducible in attached db
If this is a long campaign - 49 yrs, this was a 2.  5.  0 game I upgraded to 2.  5.  1

Problems:
In attached DB, after placing a few WPs of any type,
1) Using the "Move waypoint" button prevents me from subsequently being able to create any new WPs in any system of any type.   I only can move the last wp that was moved. 
2) If I try to place a new WP of the same type that I last moved in a 2nd system, I can't, but the last wp moved gets moved in the Lalande system to the same location. 

Replications steps:
1 Load "Game3" and place a few WPs in one corner of Lalande, ie:
   normal waypoint #1
   a named wp
   a POI
   normal waypoint #2
2 Move normal wp 1 to another location
3 Try to create a new normal wp - result: it instead moves normal wp 1 to the location you try to create the new WP in. 
4 Move the named wp to another location
5 Repeat #3 and get the same result, except the named wp gets moved instead (the last wp that was moved). 
6 Go to another system and try to create a new named wp in the opposite corner of the system - result: in this 2nd system, nothing seems to happen, but if you go back to Lalande, the existing named wp is now moved to that same opposite corner of Lalande.   The same result happens if I try to add a new normal wp in the 2nd system. 
7 If I create a new TN or Conv game in the same DB, nothing happens when I try to create new wps of any type. 
--I haven't tried saving after these rep steps as I'm afriad there is corruption that will get worse. 

Workaround: Don't use the Move wp button at all, and I seem to be able to create wps as expected. 

If it helps, this is my best recollection of how I ended up in this situation:
1 Added a wp in Lalande
2 Tried testing the new "Move waypoint" option - I moved that existing wp elsewhere then back to where I had it. 
3 After this, I recall adding a wp in another system (System B), then going back to Lalande and noticing the WP there had moved to what appeared to be the same .  .  perhaps astrographic.  .   location as the wp added in the other system.     Tested this more, and it seemed that whenever I created a new WP in either Lalande or System B, it moved it to a similar location in the other system too.   
4 At this point, I could no longer create new WPs in Lalande - when I attempted to do that, it simply moved the first WP.   
5 I deleted the WP in Lalande to try to clear the issue, and then noticed I could no longer create any new waypoints of any type in any system.    ie.    Click "Normal waypoint" > click on map > nothing happens.   
6 Restarting the game allowed me to be able to create new WPs again, but I still encounter the issues in the problem statement and replication steps. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:57:44 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Oafsalot

• Petty Officer
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 09:51:12 AM »
Hi,

Having similar problems with waypoints, if you use move, it eventually makes waypoints impossible to place.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:58:50 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline AbsolutelyNoFires

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2024, 03:22:16 PM »
A parasite craft can be dragged into a different task group than it's parent carrier, without launching.

The parent carrier's task group, and the TG which the parasite was newly dragged into, can then move off in different directions.  The parasite is still classed as docked.

I accidentally now have two FAC tenders at Earth, whose docked parasites are part of a TG flying around the distant colonies. . . .

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 05:05:28 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2024, 06:31:19 PM »

If Minerva (Planet X) is in Sol and gets Trojan asteroids, they pop up in the list among the closest asteroids to the sun, instead of being near the end of the list as they should be. Or at least after Minerva itself. It's not a big deal but it's a little annoying when surveying near-Earth asteroids by hand.

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 09:36:42 AM »
I have a very interesting bug report. Unfortunately, I can't provide a save and it's not easily reproducible, but I think I have collected enough evidence to help track down the issue.

TLDR: Some NPR missiles with thermal sensors teleported about 2 million kilometers and detonated in a single 5 second increment. I believe this happened because my fleet was moving away at the time, the missiles reached my original position, reacquired me with their onboard sensors, and then detonated immediately, attacking my ships as though they were still in the original position. This was accompanied by a generic "Key not found in dictionary" error, but I'm not sure if it was the NPR missiles or my AMMs that triggered that.

Long Version:
The NPR missile in question is the "Kukri Anti-Ship Missile" a size 9 missile with WH12, speed of 55,000 km/s, max range of 104 mkm and, most importantly, a 0.25 MSP thermal sensor.

The situation is that I chased one of my local NPR's fleets to a stabilized jump point. They jumped out and my fleet parked 35 million kilometers off to wait for reinforcements. What follows is an abridged version of the Game Log when the NPR fleet briefly returned.

Code: [Select]
1894113097 "Missile Battle Fleet - Jump 002 cannot conduct a transit as there are one or more ships suffering from jump shock"  Xcor: 719826778 Ycor: -449797692

1894113097 "Contact re-established with Hostile Ship contact:  [AAÓ]  XX Dmitriy Pozharskiy 001  19,999 tons   0 km/s" Xcor: 684865572 Ycor: -448150254

1894113256 "CS-07 Valour 007 has launched 13x Kukri Anti-Ship Missile from Size 9 Missile Launcher (30.0% Reduction) targeted on XX Dmitriy Pozharskiy 002.   Range 35,000,000 km   Estimated Chance to Hit 123%"

Here the NPR fleet jumped back through the stabilized jump point. You can see my original X-coordinate attached to the contact established message.

1894113276 "5x Kukri Anti-Ship Missile cannot locate its target. it will continue to the last known target location and use onboard sensors to search for a new target"

I didn't have a lot of AMM launchers, so I ordered my fleet to move almost directly away at its top speed of 9000 km/s. Quite a bit of time passes as missiles come in.

1894113821 "Updated Hostile Salvo contact:  [AQ] Size 9 Missile x3  (Salvo ID3454)  Thermal 25  55,000 km/s" Xcor: 688786222 Ycor: -448335003

1894113891 "CA-12 UNS Gawain has launched 4x SIM2-1C "Peregrine" 90kms from Size 2.0 Missile Launcher targeted on Salvo ID 3440.   Range 1,736,791 km   Estimated Chance to Hit 35%" Xcor: 683253554 Ycor: -448566936

At this point, you can see that the range to the missile is 1.7 million kilometers. You can also see that my fleet has moved a bit more than 1.5 million kilometers on the X-axis from where it was originally detected by the NPR ships.

1894113893 "CA-12 UNS Gawain attacked Salvo ID 3446 with Quad R30-50 Autocannon Turret Mk II.    Range 10,000 km    Chance to Hit 34%    Shots 5   Missiles Destroyed 0" Xcor: 683236127.579917 -448571441.205602
Here you see just 2 seconds later the same ship attacks with a Gauss Canon at 10kkm. In that time my ship moved 17,427 km on the X-axis, roughly consistent with the speed of 9000 km/s. The missiles though appear to have moved over 1.7 million kilometers in these two seconds.

1894113893 "8x Kukri Anti-Ship Missile from CS-07 Valour 007 attacked XX Dmitriy Pozharskiy 002.    Chance to Hit 100%     Damage per Hit 12    Armour Hits 4    Penetrating Hits 4    New Target Speed 9,000 km/s" Xcor: -2101822936.46163 YCor: 806814233.320147

1894113894 "4x SIM2-1C "Peregrine" 90kms has no target and no onboard sensors and will therefore self-destruct" Xcor: 683417124 Ycor: -448491803

Here we see the missile detonation message, which has some pretty weird coordinates. I'm not sure if that is relevant, but from a quick skim of the log it looks like missile detonation messages usually have more accurate coordinates. You can also see that my AMMs self-destructed one second later, having never attacked, because the missiles jumped past them.

My hypothesis is that the missiles attacked my fleet when they reached my original position, instead of my new position.

I hope this information helps you figure out what happened because this seems like a pretty dangerous bug if NPRs are making more missiles with onboard sensors now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 09:55:51 AM by rainyday »