Author Topic: Getting some good fights?  (Read 4921 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Getting some good fights?
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:09:46 AM »
Hey all

So I'm about 50 years into my current game and have managed to explore about 85 systems out of the 500 total I set at the start of the game.

To date I've run into plenty of precursors and swarm and now have the tech to handle these without too much trouble.

I set the game to 4 NPRs to begin with and I think I have met one of those along with one generated on jump in to a new system. The first NPR seemed to be doing ok but then had a Duranium crash and I was able to take out his fleet and conquer his colonies without too much trouble at all. The second NPR seems confined to just the system I found them in and has a tech level well below mine so I suspect they are going to be a very easy target for me as well.

Do people think I am just having bad luck with what I'm finding to date or are there better ways to set up the game to make sure you get a reasonable number of NPRs that are likely to come after you and not die from their own economic collapse?

I was thinking of generating another NPR in SM mode at one of the more distant habitable planets I've found but not too sure I'm happy with that. Is there any way I can check on the health of the other NPRs in my game to see if they are going to be a worthy challenge when I eventually find them?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Getting some good fights?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:14:05 PM »
Some people don't even start with NPRs, because the AI can't handle the duranium crash.  Besides, they tend to get stuck in infinte loops.  Eventually, you'll probably trigger something nasty when exploring a new star system.  Also, turn on the option for "invaders" if it isn't already.  You don't have to start a new game.  That *should* tend to spice things up.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:05:22 AM »
At normal difficulty (100%) NPRs shouldn't suffer a Duranium crash - only if you up the difficulty setting.

The thing to keep in mind is that NPR strength is set relative to yours at the moment you generate them.  After that, a human player is probably (almost always) going to be more efficient at developing their empire, so your strength should increase faster than theirs.

If even the Invaders aren't giving you trouble, it's time to claim victory and start a new game.

My suggestions would be:

1.  Above all, turn off 'Real Stars'
2.  Cut back on any (all?) 'exploit'-type actions you take (such as 'training up' Civ Admins & geo teams on rocks, or scientists on 1 RL projects
3.  Try a non-TN (conventional) start
4.  Use a five- or even seven-day build increment

and for the ultimate challenge:

5.  No missiles.  At all.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
5.  No missiles.  At all.

I'm in.  I don't like missiles anyway.

Offline Iamwinterborn

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
1.  Above all, turn off 'Real Stars'

Why would turning off "Real Stars" help with this?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
I'm going to guess that it will make systems near NPC territory less-crappy.

A human player can handle logistics of long shipping lines and what not-- an ai cannot.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
Why would turning off "Real Stars" help with this?

Because the Real Stars option restricts the terrain to, well, real stars.  No nebulae, no black holes, no weird stuff.

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
Because the Real Stars option restricts the terrain to, well, real stars.  No nebulae, no black holes, no weird stuff.
I haven't seen a blackhole yet... those really exist in the game?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
I havn't seen one specifically-- but there is a bodyless system that i hopped out of, the galactic map symbol is a... well... a big black hole.  So who knows!

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:08 PM »
I havn't seen one specifically-- but there is a bodyless system that i hopped out of, the galactic map symbol is a... well... a big black hole.  So who knows!

That's the icon for a "starless warp nexus" (like K-45 in In Death Ground).

John

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »
woh that sounds like, ominous, and stuff.

i will sacrifice millions of souls to investigate.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 03:15:30 AM »
If I use SM mode to generate an NPR to shoot at, is there any assurance that it will generate connected to my explored warp chain?  I mean, I don't want it to generate 500 warps away.  I really need something new to shoot at to test out my new ship designs and I'm not finding anyone out there.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »
If I use SM mode to generate an NPR to shoot at, is there any assurance that it will generate connected to my explored warp chain?  I mean, I don't want it to generate 500 warps away.  I really need something new to shoot at to test out my new ship designs and I'm not finding anyone out there.
You can generate a npr in an already explored system.  While in the system view (F9) and in sm mode there is a box for create empire.  In the top section there is a check box for making it an npr.  Set the population and amount of reasearch points to what seems likely to give you what you want and go from there.  You will not have any control of the npr once it is created.

Another option is to go to the jump point tab (F9 still).  click on a jump point that is not connected to any other system and then click on the break connection button.  When you click on the pulldown menu for the list of jump points to connect to know you will see a bunch with names which should be your systems, and a bunch with just a system number.  Copy down all the current system numbers and then use the sm menu to create a new npr.  When you go back to the same list you may need to break connections again, but the new system number should be there.  That will be the system number for your new npr.

Good Luck
Brian

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:10:08 AM »
Well lookie here, hershel!

Just as soon as I start wondering if I'm all alone in the galaxy, a survey vessel was reported missing.  The coded SOS message burst showed the presence of no less than ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEEN thermal signatures.  The scout had no idea they were coming-- but what reports did leak out show the alien weapons seemed to bypass armor and pop critical systems directly...

We've scrambled the fleet, the bulk of which was resting at earth for refits and overhauls after the Draconian campaign of '73.  Search and rescue ships have been dispatched in an effort to recover the 81 survivors of the survey ship's destruction.  Since the attack was likely small enemy fighters, the fleet commanders are nervous: we've not had to deal with such large numbers of contacts, and many in the command heirarchy wonder if battles will be fought with primarily short-range anti-missile weaponry.  Making matters worse, the new sensor ships, with 1000 tons of dedicated fighter active scanner, arent expected to come online for nearly two years.

In any case, the fleet will gate to the Black Reach, and the surveillance ships will camp out in adjacent systems: if a determined carrier group comes through the alien-stabilized wormholes of Eta Leporis to the black reach, they could bomb their way through our tender colonies in short order.

Anti-fighter fighters are already on the drawing boards.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=3753. msg36321#msg36321 date=1308567922
At normal difficulty (100%) NPRs shouldn't suffer a Duranium crash - only if you up the difficulty setting.

The thing to keep in mind is that NPR strength is set relative to yours at the moment you generate them.   After that, a human player is probably (almost always) going to be more efficient at developing their empire, so your strength should increase faster than theirs.

If even the Invaders aren't giving you trouble, it's time to claim victory and start a new game.

4.   Use a five- or even seven-day build increment

Why does using five (or thirty) day increment help the NPRs vs human?