Author Topic: AAarrrrgghhhh......  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Resident Evil (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
AAarrrrgghhhh......
« on: May 02, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »
Rant time :/

Why does my goddamn Earth Shipyards task group keep disappearing, and ships keep disappearing into the void when they complete construction. Aaargggghhh!!!!

What the hell am I doing to cause this???

edit:  How can I fix it. I have some ships building atm, which have only just started, but they have no listed task group, and I can't assign them one after construction has started it appears. I don't want to delete and restart because I pre-built components for them which are already consumed. Is there any way I can stop them disappearing like the others???

Anyone....

RE
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:14:02 PM by Resident Evil »

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: AAarrrrgghhhh......
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »
Only thing I can think of to check is where your TG's are. So for this case Earth shipyard was the TG the original ships were assigned to (it is normally the default one also on the drop down), if you built some ships and then moved them away without assigning them to a new TG then the once Earth shipyard TG is now in some far flung location. If no new TG is created at earth for new ships to go into when built then they could just vanish into the ether.

My own default method is to have a set shipyard TG and treat it as a holding drydock, then I will create a TG's at the same location and move ships across into whatever TG I want them in.

The following users thanked this post: Resident Evil

• R
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
@Rich.h

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the cause. The shipyard taskgroup isn't moving away - it is definitely ceasing to exist.

I do exactly what you do when ships are created; create a new group in the naval organisation and move the ships over; then create the new task group with those ships. It seems that that process is somehow causing the shipyard taskgroup to disappear. I'm having to sm ships into existence when it happens, and just be more careful to double check the shipyard taskgroup is set up correctly before I build any ships.

Hopefully I can figure it out - but if not I'll just have to be a bit more careful with it.

Thanks anyhow

RE
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:57:48 PM by Resident Evil »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:07:35 PM »
Transferring the last unit out of a 'fleet' can cause the fleet to be auto-removed.  Or maybe it's joining a new fleet.  I forget exactly the details of how it works, since it has been a long time since I've done so.

Generally I assign at least one PDC to a shipyard TG, so that the game will throw "Fleets containing PDCs cannot be assigned orders" warnings.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:09:15 PM by Father Tim »

• R
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »
Hi.

Yeah, I sort of suspected it was transferring ships out of the shipyard TG that was causing it to delete; but didn't realise I could stick a pdc in that TG to keep it alive. I will give that a try.

Thank you.

RE

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 04:51:36 AM »
A empty fleet should not auto-delete if it has SY tasks assigned to it. Even then, the auto-delete is for situations like the fleet landing on mother ships.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
I know I've managed to forget to move my new construction to a new fleet before ordering it to join Home Fleet, and because my SY was retooling to a new class. . .  POOF!

• R
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »
A empty fleet should not auto-delete if it has SY tasks assigned to it. Even then, the auto-delete is for situations like the fleet landing on mother ships.

Yeah. I am pretty sure I was moving the ships out of the shipyard taskgroup into their own taskgroup; and then creating a new build job at the shipyard. So when I was moving the ships out, there were no build orders pointing to the shipyard TG, which is probably why it got deleted.

I just need to be more careful, and double check the shipyard TG exists prior to setting build orders.

RE