Author Topic: CIWS and PD Target Prioritization  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Xenotrenium (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • X
CIWS and PD Target Prioritization
« on: April 28, 2019, 07:56:35 PM »
How does Aurora decide which missile in CIWS\Final Fire to shoot at first? Does it depend on something the player can directly manipulate and design around?

Ship A has 1x CIWS
Ship B has 1x size 100 ASM and 1x size 1 AMM - in which the AMM is slightly faster than the ASM.

If both ASM and AMM is fired from B against A, fired in torpedo range (next 5sec = impact), will Aurora prioritize by a specific rule?
Is it possible to -on purpose- saturate the enemy PD\CIWS to let your more damaging missiles do their job?

Biggest Missile\Fastest\salvo ID\random. . .  ?

Offline Resident Evil

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
Re: CIWS and PD Target Prioritization
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
Hi & welcome.

Frankly, it probably seems a bit rude that no-ones responded to you, but I think the reason is that your approach of 'playing against the code' isn't how to play the game. In reality, you wouldn't know how an enemy ships systems were set up to prioritize targets, so there's no reason to try and game the system by finding out how the code works. Try different strategies - see what works and what doesn't.

RE

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »
Literally whichever salvo moves / is processed by the software first.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's irrelevent because the last time I checked CIWS fires at every salvo that will impact in the current increment.  Even if that is 200+ salvoes.  That's the point of CIWS.

- - -

Oh, you mentioned Final Defensive Fire as well.  Non-CIWS weapons will fire a maximum of once per increment.  I'm pretty sure it's also by 'first' salvo to move until , which may be by salvo ID number.  I recall at one point missiles having initiative numbers (influenced by Agility, I think) because at the time the software needed every moving object to have an initiative number.

Iranon

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 12:00:20 PM »
Last time I tested it (admittedly in 2016, but I don't think this has changed), every CIWS dealt with exactly one salvo.

I just tested it again to be sure: 2 stationary ships 40k apart, each armed with 3 quad Gauss turrets  (6 shots per barrel)  linked to a single fire control, one of them also sporting 2 CIWS. Defenses set to final fire mode at 50k.
10 very slow salvos of one missile each were fired at one of them repeatedly. Depending one which ship was targeted, either 2 or 4 were intercepted.

So: Each fire control or CIWS targets a single salvo. Ships don't need to be in exactly the same spot for final fire to work
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:02:21 PM by Iranon »

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue