Author Topic: Overhaul costs?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Jumpp (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • J
Overhaul costs?
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
Apart from time, are there any costs associated with overhauling?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: Overhaul costs?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:51:02 AM »
No, only the usual maintenance that would be done in orbit in the time anyway.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »
I believe the maintenance cost for standard maintenance(which you'd pay regardless) is 10% of a ships value per year. Hangar PDCs can alleviate this if you don't need ships out and about.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 09:26:26 PM »
I've been reading through earlier changelogs, there used to be a difference in cost between 'minor overhaul' and 'major overhaul', but I'm pretty sure at the moment sending a ship to overhaul doesn't cost any additional maintenance over the normal maintenance cost.
Though you save resources by having a ship out then sending it into overhaul, (since overhaul reduces the clock by a factor of 3 or something) it's offset by the maintenance supplies cost whenever a component breaks.
Of course maintenance supplies only cost duranium, uridium and gallicite so it could be possible to strategically use MSP instead of overhaul and maintenance in order to save other resources. Or if a ship is being scrapped soon anyway.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 12:29:50 AM »
I believe the maintenance cost for standard maintenance(which you'd pay regardless) is 10% of a ships value per year. Hangar PDCs can alleviate this if you don't need ships out and about.
Correction: 1/20th of build cost.
I once calculated that when you try to save those costs with planetary PDC, it will roughly need 22 years to make a profit from that, assuming the hangar is always full. However that is also not a fair calculation, because the PDC hangars costs are nearly completely Duranium and Vendarite, while with the stored ships you end up saving something much more valuable: Gallicite. Late game shortages are always in Gallicite, so a hangar will quickly be worth it once you are out of any Duranium crunch phase you might face on early stage.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy