Author Topic: Newbie question #1 "Maintenence Supplies" (blame it on Quill18)  (Read 2619 times)

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
Hi all
[not sure if this is the right place to post questions so if not hopefully a mod will move it - thanks]

Just started watching Quill18's lets plays (and also Alfapiomega) which has got me playing this game.

Anyway, there are some things i don't get - one concerns "Maintenance  Supplies"

1)  How do i know how many Maintenance Supplies i need?  I know from the wiki that its based on the number of Engineering Sections you put on a ship but is there a field somewhere that tells me how many i need in total?

2)  Do ships auto top up supplies when they return to earth or do i need give them orders?

3)  Do you have any tips relating to the use of or production of maintenance supplies that might not be that obvious to a new player?

Many thanks

If its helpful to any other new players heres some links to the vids i have been watching.
Quill18's lets play
https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=zcWln8Ne1RA&list=PLs3acGYgI1-sRFRB4BPB-FbmVuvwIKH92
I have also just started watching another lets play from 2013 by Alfapiomega which i also found very helpful
https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=MnYfJ6m68jU&list=PLpVUxdiS7yw8r36noD0kxn6n_iIuGHNt7

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
Re: Newbie question #1 "Maintenence Supplies" (blame it on Quill18)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:57:10 AM »
Hello there and welcome to the forums :)

The best board for newbie questions is this one
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=19.0
so the thread will most likely be moved :P

Regarding your questions:

You start with a small stock of maintenance supplies on your planet, and your engineering sections are already built up "topped up". So when a new ship launches, you do not need to fill it with maintenance supplies, it's already filled. But...

These supplies are used when components break, or when combat damage is to be repaired. For civilian ships, this does not happen unless the ship gets damaged in fight.

For military ships (not only warship, even just gravitational survey vessels do qualify), you will see that while they operate their maintenance clock goes up. As it grows, and depending the maintenance life of the ship (more engineering sections = more life), components will start to break.  If there are enough supplies on the ship (say, fifty for an engine. Depends really), then the component will be repaired and the supply points used. If not, the component stays broken.

As I said, points will also be used after or during a combat to repair damaged parts. For repairs during combat though, you will want the specialized damage control component. Anyway, a fleet in heavy combat can use a lot of supplies, especially afterwards to repair damage, so many players have "supply ships" which carry additional maintenance supplies through the Maintenance Storage Bays components. Or you can have your supply ship in a close enough place so it can be moved AFTER combat to join the fleet.

To refill your ship of maintenance supplies, you give a task force the "resupply" command. For example, "Resupply at Earth", and if there are enough maintenance supplies, the ship will resupply.

A not so obvious tip is: when you see that a ship maintenance clock is coming close to its "Maintenance Life" as shown in the ship design, it's wise if possible to overhaul it. This slowly brings the clock down until it reaches 0, but the ship is unavailable while this happens. Consider it downtime , while your tech guys do maintenance and restore the ship in pristine conditions.

A practical example: your gravitational survey ship has been out there 2 years (as shown in the maintenance clock). It had one engine breaking down, though it was repaired, so supplies are down by 50. You want to restore it to top condition.

You select the task force (grav survey vessels are usually in a single ship taskforce), select Earth and add the following commands: refuel at Earth (good practice whenever you return home), resupply at Earth (takes no time, will restore the 50 missing supplies taking them from Earth's stock), and finally Begin overhaul (which will bring maintenance clock down to 0 in about 8 months in this case).

More info here
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Ship_Maintenance

As to how many supplies you need, you'll get a hang soon enough. The more military ships you operate and the more combat you have, the more supplies you need. In the beginning, if you are in a peaceful situation, not much. Later on.....

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:11:41 AM »
thanks Zincat

really useful info - particularly about the overhaul which was a mechanic i wasn't really sure how to use

much appreciated

PS - will post in the Academy forum next time as suggested

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »
1 more kind of important piece of information.

Consider this ship

Code: [Select]
Shiloh class Cruiser    12,000 tons     306 Crew     1654.92 BP      TCS 240  TH 960  EM 0
4000 km/s     Armour 4-46     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 50
Maint Life 2.01 Years     MSP 431    AFR 230%    IFR 3.2%    1YR 142    5YR 2126    Max Repair 120 MSP /// Maintenance line
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Spare Berths 1   
Magazine 674   

Pratt & Whiteny F240 Ion Drive (4)    Power 240    Fuel Use 64%    Signature 240    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 880,000 Litres    Range 20.6 billion km   (59 days at full power)

Mk-2 Missile Launcher (10)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 50
Adelson-Vasko SPG-2 Missile Fire Control (2)     Range 84.1m km    Resolution 120
RGM-1 Sabre (135)  Speed: 22,700 km/s   End: 94.7m    Range: 129m km   WH: 9    Size: 5    TH: 75/45/22

Adelson-Vasko SPS-1 Active Search Sensor - MSR8413 (1)     GPS 11520     Range 84.1m km    Resolution 120

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Just a random design. On the maintenance line it states that the maximum repair (to most expensive module to repair) takes 120 MSP.
The ship itself has storage for 431 MSP. This is fine.
If however you had a ship that had a 120 max repair, and only had storage for 90MSP. Even with a supply ship feeding it, it can't make the repair because its maximum storage is too low.
Thus always make sure military designs have at least enough storage to make 1 maximum repair.

Other bits of information.
Large engines are usually one of the 2 biggest maintenance demands.
Engine size/power heavily affects maintenance demands. Smaller engines have much lower maintenance than larger ones. And low power modifiers have lower maintenance than higher ones.
Other biggest demand is sensor arrays, which get extraordinarily expensive fast (but are extremely necessary)

Lastly, when designing a module, it's maintenance demand will be equal to its "cost" in the design screen. Handy when trying to match parts to each other so that you don't end up overstepping a planned max repair amount.

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 01:26:44 AM »
thanks for the extra tips - lots of info to store away :)

cheers

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
Moving to The Academy per request :)

BTW, there's a "where should I post" thread in the FAQ that helps with some of the other threads.  In particular, please post in the (semi-)official Suggestions and Bugs threads rather than starting new threads, unless you expect a lot of discussion.

Have Fun!

John